Gransnet forums

Chat

Why won’t people answer their phones

(109 Posts)
Kartush Tue 07-Mar-23 08:52:40

Drives me crazy really it does. Not only do they not answer their phones but they never call back when I leave a message. I have been trying to contact my daughter in law for two weeks to update her on a family situation, I have rung 3 or 4 times and left nice messages and nothing. Mind you when she needs me she can always get me.
I know what is going to happen, when the situation reaches its conclusion she is going to get in a tizz and say I never tell her anything.
Tell me again why phones are a blessing

mynest Sun 12-Mar-23 01:05:34

I agree. My spouse and I have said many times that we will be deceased for days before anyone discovers us (children.). They have their own lives and very seldom call.
I do not answer calls if it is an unknown number.

jocork Sun 12-Mar-23 02:20:05

I work as an exam invigilator so my phone has to be on silent at work. I often then forget to turn the sound on again so I miss calls. I usually answer if I hear it. I don't always answer my landline as it is rarely a call from anyone I want to talk to though I do have 2 people who still ring me on it despite having my mobile number, as it is cheaper for them to do that! Unfortunately the number of scam calls I get means I can't always be bothered to walk across the room to the phone.
During lockdown I started going shopping late at night to avoid queues and crowds and went out one night without my phone. My daughter was trying to call me and tried my mobile repeatedly as well as the landline. She was really worried that something had happened to me so when I got home she gave me quite an ear bashing! It never occurred to her I might be in Tesco at 11:30 pm!

Grams2five Sun 12-Mar-23 06:11:19

I think the younger generations rely much more on text , email etc. our youngest son is university age and he has literally changed his outgoing voice mail
Message to “if you need to reach me urgently hang up and leave a text “. It’s just their preferred means of communication . Maybe try that ?

JackyB Sun 12-Mar-23 10:06:43

Listening to a voicemail is a bit of a hassle. My DH doesn't realise this and always leaves a long verbose message, punctuated by lots of throat clearing. I don't bother, I just hang up. They will see by the number that I have called and will ring back when it's convenient.

I don't listen to my voicemails either. Sometimes I check up on them and there are rambling lectures from DH on there that are weeks old.

biglouis Sun 12-Mar-23 13:04:58

I communicate mainly be email because I run an international business. Because of the time differences I dont accept international phone calls except by prior arragement. I dont want American phoning me at 4 am to discuss a purchase. Email is ideal because I can decide what I want to say. Sometimes I just send a "bounce back" message which looks like an automated out of office.

As some posters have poiunted out my smartphone is for MY convenience and not for others, I would never give a neighbour my phone number because I dont want them pestering me. I dont answer unknown calls. I googlee them and most are scams of phishing. I rarely answer the door unless Im expecting someone or a package.

Tanjamaltija Mon 13-Mar-23 04:13:44

It's easier and faster and more convenient to write a message, because you don't have to drop what you are doing to answer the phone... unless you give a specific time for the call, and more or less, keep it.

nanna8 Mon 13-Mar-23 05:50:50

With you 100% biglouis. Until recently I was secretary of a state wide organisation and I just got sick of all the spurious messages. If it was important they would always leave a message. My phone,my rules.

Granmarderby10 Mon 13-Mar-23 06:37:45

Sometimes I turn the volume down low so that it doesn’t make me jump. Sometimes because of depression I can’t face answering it.