Gransnet forums

Chat

TIGHTS!….

(93 Posts)
Kateykrunch Fri 24-Mar-23 10:39:48

I have been living in leggings and tunics and decided today to wear a dress, with tights, crikey!!, it was so difficult to get them on, proper contortions needed. I succeeded, but with difficulty and they are a big enough size, so any tips, just in case its “just me”. Thanks

Shinamae Fri 24-Mar-23 15:16:28

I think the last time I wore tights was probably in the early 80s. If I wear a dress which is very seldom, it will be a maxi because my legs are quite horrible now…😬

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 15:30:13

Gin

Just looked at the website for Snagtights. My goodness what large ladies! Sorry I suppose that is just very judgemental but they really surprised me.

Sorry, but it is very judgemental! Large ladies wear tights too, you know - and it's great to find somewhere which actually caters for larger bodies instead of just skinny minnies!

kircubbin2000 Fri 24-Mar-23 15:57:24

Can't understand why you would wear tights with trousers. Is it ever that cold?

MayBee70 Fri 24-Mar-23 16:03:41

I wish Snag tights had been around sooner. I’ve got a drawer full of tights that don’t fit me. In fact I never found any tights that fitted me as I’m short with very chubby legs.

hollysteers Fri 24-Mar-23 16:07:18

Gin

Just looked at the website for Snagtights. My goodness what large ladies! Sorry I suppose that is just very judgemental but they really surprised me.

I agree with you Gin.I too looked at the website and I am very surprised to see morbidly obese women modelling.
This sends out a message that to be in this condition is quite normal and it isn’t.
We all know it is extremely unhealthy for all sorts of reasons and a far cry from just being somewhat overweight.
If I sound judgmental, I don’t mind at all.

Aldom Fri 24-Mar-23 16:17:43

kircubbin2000

I'm another who, in winter, wears tights under jeans. What a difference it makes to how warm I feel.
My daughter, however would feel uncomfortable and over heated if she wore tights under jeans. So we're all different.
I wear tights regularly with dresses too. Mark's and Spencer fit me well. I like the fact that their tights have a label in the back.
Arthritis is definitely making it less easy to put on my tights.

M0nica Fri 24-Mar-23 16:45:28

I wear tights under jeans, and socks, because my legs and feet get very cold. Like Aldom I wear them in summer too for the same reason.

It is not a question of how cold it gets but of how cold we feel. I also have Raynaud's Syndrome and in winter often wear fingerless gloves indoors, to stop my hands going numb. I think the problems I have with my feet are related to that.

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 16:51:23

hollysteers

Gin

I agree with you Gin.I too looked at the website and I am very surprised to see morbidly obese women modelling.
This sends out a message that to be in this condition is quite normal and it isn’t.
We all know it is extremely unhealthy for all sorts of reasons and a far cry from just being somewhat overweight.
If I sound judgmental, I don’t mind at all.

It's not sending out a message that it's normal, but just what are women who are that size supposed to do? Hide away in their bedrooms, ashamed to face the world? Are they not supposed to wear tights or clothes like anyone else? No wonder there's such pressure on girls and young women to conform to some idea of perfection now.
And no, I know only too well that it's not healthy to be very overweight, but I also know only too well how you are made to feel ashamed because of your size. Body positivity should apply to everyone.

Norah Fri 24-Mar-23 16:52:31

kircubbin2000

I wear tights with jeans/trousers to keep warm in winter. I don't tend to wear tights with jeans in summer, it's generally warm enough.

Forsythia Fri 24-Mar-23 16:56:44

I also struggle with getting tights on. I solved it by buying some thin leggings from M&S worn with opaque black socks. Together they do the trick as I nearly always wear ankle boots. It works for me.

Norah Fri 24-Mar-23 17:02:44

silverlining48

Why would anyone be surprised. ? There are large ladies everywhere who also need to put tights etc on. I get sick of really skinny models showing clothes which look quite different on real life women.
As you say, very judgmental.

Skinny models are real live people too.

Perhaps say slim and lanky - more polite than skinny. Some people can't gain weight even as they try.

rafichagran Fri 24-Mar-23 17:06:43

I wear snag tights too. I love them, they are comfortable.

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 17:12:37

Norah

silverlining48

Why would anyone be surprised. ? There are large ladies everywhere who also need to put tights etc on. I get sick of really skinny models showing clothes which look quite different on real life women.
As you say, very judgmental.

Skinny models are real live people too.

Perhaps say slim and lanky - more polite than skinny. Some people can't gain weight even as they try.

I don't see as much 'skinny shaming' going on though - especially on here.

grannyactivist Fri 24-Mar-23 17:18:49

I’m another who wears snag tights.

They do an open call for models size 4-38, so they cater for both ends of the weight spectrum.

At the moment I’m a size 16/18 and I really appreciate seeing models who look like me so that I can get a real sense of what the clothes might look like on me rather than on a size 6 model who’s a minimum of 5’ 9” in height.

JackyB Sat 25-Mar-23 06:51:46

I've thrown out all my tights. Well they're still here because they are useful for so many odd jobs like tying up plants. But I can't think of a single situation where I would need to wear any. In very cold weather (and we do have extremes of temperature here) I wear long Johns under trousers, but take the trousers off as soon as I get indoors and walk around in just the long Johns (which are dark blue so look like leggings)

karmalady Sat 25-Mar-23 07:08:51

silverlining48

Whenever I put tights on which isn’t often they always slip down under the crotch sometimes halfway to my knees. I am short and wide at hip and have never found any that fit properly.

silverlining I am only 4`11 and for the first ever time, found tights that fit me without wrinkling or drooping.

I am half the size of the snag models and well done snag, they have very inclusive sizing.

Judgemental post gin

NotAGran55 Sat 25-Mar-23 07:10:33

I can’t think of any reason why it is necessary to comment on the size of the models regardless of their size.
The term ‘skinny’ is equally as judgmental as the fat shaming terms.

No tips I’m afraid for putting them on OP, although the idea of gloves sounds good.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Mar-23 07:27:55

kircubbin2000

In the really cold snap a while ago, I wore tights and socks under my jeans. And I always wore tights under my work trousers, in cold weather.

What amazes me is people who never seem to wear either socks or tights in cold weather. I saw a young lass the other day with bare feet inside lace up shoes, and often see elderly women with bare feet, not an elegant look in winter.

My feet would be like blocks of ice.

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Mar-23 07:37:38

Esmee
Tights which you can't get past your knee isn't a good look
grin
No, indeed.

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Mar-23 07:38:36

Sorry, Esmay

Kateykrunch Sat 25-Mar-23 13:05:30

Thanks all, bit easier this morning, think my technique has improved lol. Like the idea of the finer leggings tho, so will have a look at those, thankyou.

Wyllow3 Sat 25-Mar-23 13:37:03

Redhead56

I am a size 12/14 5.5 tall no matter what tights I want I buy extra large otherwise it is a struggle to get them on.

Me too, size wise.

Def buy a size (or 2 ) larger for comfort.

Rarely sear them but the M n S with cotton 40d black tights are comfy, but I don't have wide hips or would probably want larger.

MayBee70 Sat 25-Mar-23 13:45:41

I do like tights with a gusset!

Sara1954 Sat 25-Mar-23 17:32:01

I love tights, I wear them every day.
My favourite are M&S, I like snags for the gorgeous colours, but I always find they slip down a bit.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Mar-23 18:30:59

Haven’t worn tights for about 40 years 😳