Gransnet forums

Chat

TIGHTS!….

(93 Posts)
Kateykrunch Fri 24-Mar-23 10:39:48

I have been living in leggings and tunics and decided today to wear a dress, with tights, crikey!!, it was so difficult to get them on, proper contortions needed. I succeeded, but with difficulty and they are a big enough size, so any tips, just in case its “just me”. Thanks

Tenko Sat 25-Mar-23 18:32:34

I hate tights and very rarely wear them. I wear jeans or midi dresses with boots in winter and use fake tan in summer . And as for wearing tights under jeans , surely that’s a recipe for thrush !!!

seadragon Sat 25-Mar-23 19:11:35

I have foresworn tights for life. I was prey to itchyfannyitis for years, blaming bath products, until I bought some leggings for warmth here in Orkney to wear under trousers and have never looked back. All discomfort - and struggling - banished. IF I wear dresses I have always favoured lace up boots and the so-called 'ballerina' length' so leggings are fine with that. Have seen some fabulous patterned versions to which I will be treating myself soon....

seadragon Sat 25-Mar-23 19:15:26

Whoops! Just saw your post, Tenko!

M0nica Sat 25-Mar-23 19:23:27

Tenko I wear tights and trousers, and quite often thermal socks as well in order to keep my legs warm and stop my feet going numb.

I have had thrush once. During my first pregnncy - that was over 50 years ago and I have never had thrush since. Nor have I had cystitis.

Aldom Sun 26-Mar-23 09:13:21

Tenko

I hate tights and very rarely wear them. I wear jeans or midi dresses with boots in winter and use fake tan in summer . And as for wearing tights under jeans , surely that’s a recipe for thrush !!!

I wear tights under jeans, as I said earlier. Never had thrush and I am now eighty years 'young'. smile

Auntieflo Sun 26-Mar-23 12:42:22

I have worn tights under trousers and jeans for years. But I am much less agile now, and my thighs are bigger. So I was so pleased to find Snag tights. Comfort is all these day and I have never had thrush .

SueDonim Sun 26-Mar-23 14:18:27

I wear thermal leggings under jeans, and socks. I wear tights with dresses for fancy occasions but they’re few and far between these days. grin I sometimes wear leggings with dresses and - don’t all slap me! - trainers. I have foot problems and trainers are the most comfortable for walking.

Philippa111 Sun 26-Mar-23 14:28:57

I detest tights especially the finer denier nylon ones. They always work their way down and away from the crotch and I spend lots of time hiking them up again. So uncomfortable!

I wear M&S finer thermal leggings for most of the year ( here in Scotland we don't get that many really warm days) with skirts and dresses and love that look especially in summer when I don't need to wear socks.

biglouis Mon 27-Mar-23 04:45:22

Somewhere I have a drawer full of tights but i cant recall the last time I wore any of them. It might have been in the 1980s. I only ever wear kaftans in the house and trousers or joggers when I go out. I do have a lot of pairs of plain ankle socks.

Wyllow3 Mon 27-Mar-23 05:57:08

I recently took about 5 pairs of tights from the 1970's to charity shop, rainbow colours, too small and never worn, and bought my one pair of comfy black ones. there were the days, bright red tights etc. But..not comfy as ones made
now, some things have moved on.

I live in these all the year round - smart when newish, then relegated to home use...come in 3 different leg lengths and plus sizes too. so comfy.

[url=https://postimg.cc/56MK3RFW][img]https://i.postimg.cc/wTtK6KqM/Screenshot-2023-03-27-at-5-53-05-am.jpg[/img][/url]

Wyllow3 Mon 27-Mar-23 05:58:17

bother.

nft2021 Wed 26-Jul-23 06:50:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

foxie48 Wed 26-Jul-23 09:30:22

I have bare legs in the summer and I thoroughly recommend Vita Liberata body make up, it's brilliant. If I need to put something on my legs for posh occasions, I use very sheer hold ups or in the winter for warmth 60 den black tights from M&S, which fit really well. Thinnish leggings and warm socks work best for me under jeans and trousers when it's cold.

Oreo Wed 26-Jul-23 09:42:11

Tights are the work of the Devil! 😂
Leggings or self tan is the way to go.

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Jul-23 09:52:03

I’ve never had a problem with tights, though I don’t wear dresses/skirts so often in Winter these days. I’ve some great coloured and patterned ones, as well as the sheer variety. I always buy a larger size, so they’re not uncomfortable in any way. They don’t get much use in Summer, though I have worn them for a couple of funerals lately.

I absolutely hate pop socks though.

p0Sy Wed 26-Jul-23 11:14:48

Another vote for Snag.
I'm not large but do get the slipped crotch thing with other brands

Blinko Wed 26-Jul-23 12:40:34

I've found this a really useful thread. I buy dresses then end up not wearing them as I too hate tights and am not too sure about leggings with a frock. Not sure about self tanning either. Clearly I need to get a grip and try some of the solutions on here.

Thanks everyone!

nanna8 Wed 26-Jul-23 12:44:48

People don’t seem to wear them here now. Which is fine except my legs are always too white and I don’t want to expose them to the sun, having had a couple of skin cancers. I could use fake tan but can’t be stuffed.

foxie48 Wed 26-Jul-23 12:58:59

Vita Liberata is really easy to use, I much prefer it to self tan, which always looks streaky. I just shower, moisturise my legs and smooth the cream on top. It's very easy and gives a nice even look. I usually have a bit of tan on my legs in the summer so use the medium shade, it covers up veins and blemishes quite well and stays on until I shower again.

Sallywally1 Fri 28-Jul-23 11:36:10

I hate tights, many is the morning when I was still working hunting irritably for a pair! I now wear footless ones which are much more comfortable. They are fine with boots, when I can wear socks as well.shoes are a bit more problematic, but trainer liners are good.

Oldbat1 Fri 28-Jul-23 12:32:14

I wear footless tights under my jeans for most of the year and love the warmth. Ive looked at snagtights and love the colours. For those folk who wear leggings what do you wear on top? Some leggings i see youngsters wear you can almost see through and not at all a good look especially if they wear a thong underneath. I always want my bum covered and im not huge. I see chubrubs are popular for those folk whose thighs meet together and rub if wearing dresses.

ChloeBenfield Sat 23-Sep-23 12:49:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

henetha Sat 23-Sep-23 13:51:47

I dislike tights. I can't get them on, the crotch is usually around my knees. And they make me feel itchy and uncomfortable.
But I like the look of the snag tights (just googled them) so might give them a try. I've got a nice check winter skirt which I would like to wear now and then.
Usually its trousers/jeans and socks for me.

JaneJudge Sat 23-Sep-23 14:02:46

normal tights don't fit loads of people. I use snag tights too and I am not that big, they are just much more comfortable

JaneJudge Sat 23-Sep-23 14:04:07

sorry i hadn't realised this was a revived thread to talk about husbands that wear tights smile