Gransnet forums

Chat

What are the rules for gender reveal?

(86 Posts)
Cambsnan Mon 28-Aug-23 15:28:08

Grandsons girlfriend is have in a gender reveal party. I expect their will be a baby shower later but do you take gift to a reveal?

Alison333 Wed 30-Aug-23 17:10:19

Where has all this 'gender reveal' mania come from? Baby showers I can understand because the happy parent-to-be can get nice things for the baby.

I think it's just another excuse for companies to make profits from people but if people enjoy it, I suppose it's harmless. I would take a food/drink contribution to the party.

Mollygo Wed 30-Aug-23 17:51:10

fluttERBY123

I remember a time when nothing was ever bought for a baby before the birth in case something went wrong. Does anyone else remember that or is it just me disremembering?

No that was the idea when mine were due. In-laws wanted to buy us a pram, but it was held on a refundable deposit at the shop till the baby was safely home.

Mallin Wed 30-Aug-23 18:16:43

GrandmaKT. Still laughing.

Mallin Wed 30-Aug-23 18:24:58

Mollygo. My 2nd pregnancy was stated as being twins by 2 separate doctors. Ordered a twin pram ( getting on for 60 yrs ago ). Shop assistant insisted I used their “put by “ scheme incase at was just a single.
Good job she did as it turned out to be one rather big baby. 14 lb 11o z

StacyAnn Wed 30-Aug-23 18:29:56

Wow, that’s a big baby, Mallin !

Hedgehog2908 Wed 30-Aug-23 18:36:02

I also think that baby showers and gender reveals are tacky. I wouldn't go to either

mabon1 Wed 30-Aug-23 19:11:59

I gave a cheque for £200.00 for a cot but was told the cot they wanted was £600.00, said "Tough luck" and I did not have any thank you in any form. I was the great-grandmother of the new baby to be.

netflixfan Wed 30-Aug-23 21:11:15

I wonder what the folks who go on about pronouns would think of gender reveals. You know, the ones who refer to themselves as CIS etc

Foxygloves Wed 30-Aug-23 22:52:59

Mollygo

fluttERBY123

I remember a time when nothing was ever bought for a baby before the birth in case something went wrong. Does anyone else remember that or is it just me disremembering?

No that was the idea when mine were due. In-laws wanted to buy us a pram, but it was held on a refundable deposit at the shop till the baby was safely home.

Exactly, the cot and pram would be delivered once you (or the father) informed the shop that the baby had arrived safely.

Grammaretto Wed 30-Aug-23 23:02:32

Same here flutERBY considered bad luck to have an empty pram in the house.
I did have a "layette" ready including an embroidered nightdress made by myself which looked adorable on my baby boy.