Gransnet forums

Chat

Housework, am I alone?

(182 Posts)
lincolnimp Wed 20-Sep-23 13:20:45

Am I alone in doing as little house work as possible---usually only when we are expecting visitors?
Toilets are obviously cleaned regularly, as are kitchen work surfaces /sinks and cooker. Regularly does mean when they need cleaning!!!

I just have far more interesting things to do with my life, as well as newly imposed Grandparent duties. Some of you may know why these duties are non negotiable .

lixy Sun 22-Oct-23 16:50:22

Greyisnotmycolour

I know my adult children do a "mum & dad clean" as they call it, when we visit. They don't seem to realise we do the same when they come here. I think if they ever turned up unexpected, it would leave them speechless 🤣

Snap!

Grannycool52 Sun 22-Oct-23 16:59:44

At least we are lucky that our homes don't need to be cleaned as often as when we were children, back in the days of coal fires when the house had to be vacuumed and dusted every day.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-Oct-23 17:02:27

Oh lixy, snap here too!

V3ra Sun 22-Oct-23 18:34:09

Some poor souls even iron their knickers, or so I’ve been told.

A friend once told me her husband had asked her to do some ironing, as he was running out of boxer shorts...
As my daughter said, "Mum that's just wrong, on so many levels" 🙄

annodomini Sun 22-Oct-23 19:41:03

When we were kids our mum had a cleaning lady, though she did all our own laundry and cooking not to mention the clothes she made for us. So I grew up not expecting to do much housework. Five years as an expat in a country where we all employed servants didn't make me any more domesticated. I am still a self-confessed slob, though I manage to keep the flat dust-free and vacuumed, if not quite daily.

biglouis Mon 23-Oct-23 02:04:41

I detest housework thats why I have a cleaner. I have this maxim that if something does not bring me money or enjoyment then I dont do it unless absolutely pushed to it. Life is too short and I have a business to run which brings me both income and a great deal of satisfaction.

People who appear to judge me get the lash end of my tongue. I rented this house before I bought it. One day a snippy little estate agent came to do an inspection and said that the kitchen was "cluttered". It was not like there was food and rubbish hanging about (which might attract vermin) but dishes waiting to be washed and stuff out on the counters where it was near to hand. ) reminded her very sharply that she was here to check the fabric of the building and any repairs that needed doing. It was not not her "place" to comment upon my standard of housekeeping. I sent a strongly worded complaint to the manager and told him she needed further training in how to speak to clients.

biglouis Mon 23-Oct-23 02:06:02

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

Washerwoman Mon 23-Oct-23 07:32:50

I think I like my house to be clean and tidy - not immaculate- because my mother didn't. I can remember being embarrassed to ask friends back and I started cleaning up from a young age to restore some order.
But am I dull ?Just asked DH and he snorted life with you is anything but dull !I just do a bit often and actually have enjoyed cleaning and gardening in and amongst a carer and running my own business,lots of adult ed classes,long distance walking , innumerable pets,DCs and now lovely GCs regularly here.I just enjoy being physically active-until evening comes. Then I morph into a sloth and anything else can wait till morning.I guess we're all different .

Allsorts Mon 23-Oct-23 07:58:20

I like a clean home and there are jobs I do regularly, such as kitchen, bathroom and tidying. I couldn't relax if I sat there and saw cobwebs, they would have to go. It takes little of my time, living alone, it doesn't get very dirty. Takes me about an hour each morning, the days my own. What I dislike is cooking the evening meal and the washing up, so Ive altered that. Batch cook more meals for the freezer, pick a day I'm in the mood as I enjoy cooking, it's just reheat in microwave, eat out twice a week at a local pub. Garden gets bigger by the week so having lawns cut now. That's saved me a morning. I like a house that's lived in but not a dirty one. We are all different.

MrsThatcher Mon 23-Oct-23 11:35:49

biglouis

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

What a rude thing to say.

Too clever to clean eh BL?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-Oct-23 11:40:24

Better things to do and more to boast about than having a spotless house.

biglouis Mon 23-Oct-23 14:10:36

You will find the "dull women" notice for sale on Amazon and many other popular sites so obviously many people agree.

Still if the cap fits ....

Smileless2012 Mon 23-Oct-23 15:23:34

Is saying you have a spotless home boastful? I don't think so, anymore than saying you have better things to do.

We're all different and I derive a lot of pleasure from keeping our home spotless and I'm not dull or boring either. It doesn't take as much time as some may think if you keep on top of it.

I don't judge anyone who doesn't keep their home as clean and tidy as I do, so why should I or anyone else who does be judged?

MrsThatcher Mon 23-Oct-23 16:14:08

Germanshepherdsmum

Better things to do and more to boast about than having a spotless house.

I wasn’t boasting GSM. Just stating a fact that’s all.

Ziplok Mon 23-Oct-23 16:15:57

Rather unkind to suggest that those who like to keep a clean and tidy house are somewhat dull. Utter rubbish, and somewhat condescending to suggest it is so.

Washerwoman Mon 23-Oct-23 16:18:19

I agree Smiles.I was awake at 6 today.I'm an early waker
By the time I left to walk my dogs at 9 I had a quick whizz round with the vac and cleaned the bathrooms. I had also had a long soak in the bath with my book and read the paper over a leisurely breakfast.Not boastful.Just in my nature.And I do loads outside the home so don't consider myself dull either.I just prefer to sit down and relax at the end of the day in a tidy -not spotless -!home.
As for those signs from Amazon.Each to their own.You can get signs for allsorts.Baby on board.Wine o'clock etc.You name it.Personally I find them a bit naff But then maybe I'm being judgy too!Live and let live.Each to their own with signs.And housework.

MrsThatcher Mon 23-Oct-23 16:23:54

Smileless2012

Is saying you have a spotless home boastful? I don't think so, anymore than saying you have better things to do.

We're all different and I derive a lot of pleasure from keeping our home spotless and I'm not dull or boring either. It doesn't take as much time as some may think if you keep on top of it.

I don't judge anyone who doesn't keep their home as clean and tidy as I do, so why should I or anyone else who does be judged?

Thanks Smileless - We’ll said.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-Oct-23 16:39:55

I would suggest it’s the way it’s said.

Casdon Mon 23-Oct-23 18:24:27

Ziplok

Rather unkind to suggest that those who like to keep a clean and tidy house are somewhat dull. Utter rubbish, and somewhat condescending to suggest it is so.

There’s a big difference between clean and tidy and spotless I think. I’m clean and tidy, I don’t like mess and make sure I do enough to keep the house clean. If somebody describes their house as spotless though, that is a competitive word, which smacks to me of an obsession whereby they can’t rest until they’ve achieved perfection - in the order of David Beckham lining up his coke cans in the fridge with all the labels facing exactly the same way.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-Oct-23 19:16:36

Exactly Casdon.

Witzend Mon 23-Oct-23 19:23:15

Casdon

Ziplok

There’s a big difference between clean and tidy and spotless I think. I’m clean and tidy, I don’t like mess and make sure I do enough to keep the house clean. If somebody describes their house as spotless though, that is a competitive word, which smacks to me of an obsession whereby they can’t rest until they’ve achieved perfection - in the order of David Beckham lining up his coke cans in the fridge with all the labels facing exactly the same way.

Does he really? How freaky - that reminds me of the film from ages ago with Julia Roberts - Sleeping With The Enemy. The husband was a super-tidy control freak, all tins in cupboards had to be lined up to perfection, ditto towels on rails, IIRC.
She had to fake her own death to escape from him!

Smileless2012 Mon 23-Oct-23 19:53:05

Spotless a competitive word!!! Competitive with whom? I'm not competing with anyone, no need and no desire too. Just live and let live for goodness sake.

Casdon Mon 23-Oct-23 21:01:13

Spotless is an extreme adjective though, it means free from spots or blemishes : perfectly clean or pure. So it is a very much more competitive word than clean and tidy. I don’t aspire to spotless.

sodapop Tue 24-Oct-23 09:15:43

It's strange isn't it that what should be considered a positive trait is sneered at on . here. Spotless may be too strong a word but I do like my house to be clean and tidy. The thread about fleas is one reason why I vacuum daily.
I agree with Smileless2012 live and let live.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-Oct-23 09:25:56

I think a house can only be spotless if cleaned thoroughly from top to bottom every day and the oven and bathroom cleaned after every use. That’s somewhat extreme. Otherwise, it’s clean.