Gransnet forums

Chat

"Our song"

(96 Posts)
eddiecat78 Wed 27-Sep-23 16:57:38

Have you got one?
I regard "Follow you, follow me" by Genesis as ours but OH keeps forgetting!

Bella23 Thu 28-Sep-23 09:45:09

"Dancing in the Dark", by Bruce Springsteen is the family one for DH it was played at our daughter's wedding he danced with her and it
got everyone up dancing. We haven't got one but mine for him would again be a Bruce Springsteen,"Better than the rest".
When we were young "We got to get out of this place", by the Animals would have summed us both up.

shysal Thu 28-Sep-23 09:51:35

Divorced now, but the song played endlessly at the youth club holiday in Mullion at the start of our relationship became our song. It was 'Have I the Right' by The Honeycombs.

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Sep-23 10:06:16

I'm with oreo
We don’t have a song that we regard as ‘ours’ tbh I thought this was just a thing in rom coms or drama on tv😄

We do have a number of songs from our early days together that probably bring back those days in our minds - but they may not be the same ones to be honest. Some songs that mean a lot to me are from when we already had a family, from holidays etc.
Maybe a dozen or so.
Not just one.

Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five' was part of us "getting together" as we did an duet/improvisation to it when I was 17. I don't think of it as "our song"... and I'm sure Mr Spaghetti doesn't either.

Kalu Thu 28-Sep-23 10:10:54

As Time Goes By - Louis Armstrong

Whenever I hear it I have such happy memories of being in DH’s arms as we swayed to ‘our song’. Something we still do but only in the kitchen now, not too steady on our feet these days.

henetha Thu 28-Sep-23 10:12:29

Back in the day, it was Everything I Do by Bryan Adams.
Hearing it now still upsets me.

ginny Thu 28-Sep-23 10:42:02

We don’t have a particular song.
We have a family tape ( remember them?) that we always played on holiday journeys on the 80’s . Our 3 DDs still remember all of the songs in it.
DH has a particular liking for Mr Blue Sky.
After seeing our first DD born he got in the car to go home , turned on the radio and the first line he heard was ..
Hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race.
Subsequently he played it after the arrival of DDs 2 & 3.

Bella23 Thu 28-Sep-23 10:44:56

I've just asked DH and he says" Tougher than the rest".

by Bruce Springsteen
Great minds think alike but I thought it was "Better than the rest".smile]

Maya1 Thu 28-Sep-23 10:46:44

We had a lot but Unforgettable by Nat King Cole and At Last by Etta James evoke the most powerful memories of the past 45 years l had with DH both played at his funeral.
Songs can be such a wonderful reminder and take you right back in an instant.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 28-Sep-23 11:03:52

We had a meal for 40 for our wedding reception, no dancing.
When we arrived at our honeymoon hotel on the beach in Antigua our first dance on the sand was to Hot, Hot, Hot by Buster Grimes which has become our song

Our kids found it hilarious when we rang and told them and say they will play it at our funerals 🤣🏝️🔥

LauraNorderr Thu 28-Sep-23 11:22:57

You are so right Maya1, music is very powerful, takes you right back to the moment.

Heathcliff23 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:18:50

As DH is not romantic in the least, our song is Stuck with You, by Huey Lewis. It’s the nearest I will get to romance! Smile

InTheCove Sun 01-Oct-23 11:20:02

Always & Forever by Heat Wave

RakshaMK Sun 01-Oct-23 11:49:52

The Hot Dog song from Titanic.
First and only song we've ever danced too, even though he claims to love dancing.

Sorry - it's not the Hot Dog Song, it's My Heart will go on ;)

icanhandthemback Sun 01-Oct-23 11:49:54

"If I had words to make a day for you," is our song. We had the Maestro section of Saint-Saëns' Symphony No.3 in C minor played at the Church when we got married and the song which was based on it as our first dance. Whenever we hear it on "Babe," the movie, we smile at each other at the memory of it.

Elssssa Sun 01-Oct-23 11:49:57

Louis Armstrong "We have all the time in the world".

Shantygirly Sun 01-Oct-23 11:50:26

We have our own song, we sing together, our own version of 'Bunch of Thyme'. 😳

cupcake1 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:53:44

‘It started with a kiss’ Hot Chocolate

25Avalon Sun 01-Oct-23 11:58:49

Ob-la-di ob-la-da sung by The Marmalade. Playing all the time when we first met at a uni disco and lots of times afterwards.

Georgesgran Sun 01-Oct-23 12:25:12

No song for us - but I like to hear Time in a Bottle which I find poignant, now DH has gone.
DD2’s is Bill Withers, Just the Two of Us - which says it all.

Bazza Sun 01-Oct-23 12:34:06

Marvin Gaye’s I Heard it through the Grapevine, just because it was so popular when we met. Also When I Fall in Love by Nat King Cole. Still love them both.

JackyB Sun 01-Oct-23 12:35:10

I think ours was "Le métèque", by Georges Moustaki. I find it rather repellent these days. An old, ugly man lusting after a 20-year-old. Yuck.

Aven Sun 01-Oct-23 12:47:51

Ours is How do I live without you (second marriage!)

MaggsMcG Sun 01-Oct-23 12:53:06

Ours was Hey Jude. Or sometimes Suspicious Minds. Both ere played at his funeral.

Susieq62 Sun 01-Oct-23 12:54:27

Harvest Moon by Neil Young and although we didn’t survive as a couple he still tells me from 8000 miles away it is “ our “ song!!

Anneeba Sun 01-Oct-23 12:57:49

Our wedding dance was Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood, but our romantic song is Miracles by Jefferson Starship. Amazing piece of sax as the song reaches its climax.