Gransnet forums

Chat

How much do you spend on yourself?

(135 Posts)
Alltogethernow Tue 26-Mar-24 12:51:58

OH and I are both retirees and have what I think is quite a comfortable income.

When we receive our pensions each month, OH does all the household accounts, moves money around and we both get £250 each into our personal bank accounts to do with as we please.

My money tends to go on makeup, clothes, shoes, outings with friends, theatre, cinema etc..

OH is not so social, his goes on camera equipment, a few subscriptions, clothes, shoes, odd days out with his friend.

I tend to spend all or most of mine. Whereas OH doesn’t so much and has a build up of money in his account.

Do other people do this? Do you think this is a lot to spend in a month? Or do you spend much more?

I am talking here solely about personal spending money and not things like cars or holidays which come out of the central pot.

OldFrill Tue 26-Mar-24 13:00:02

We have separate bank accounts, we each put a sum monthly (DD) into a joint account and the rest is ours separately to spend as we each want, or not. We both have separate savings accounts etc. He spends more than me on bits and bobs

silverlining48 Tue 26-Mar-24 13:01:41

We have joint accounts which are used to pay for anything needed.

Katyj Tue 26-Mar-24 13:23:47

We’ve been married 46 years and always had one pot, until I retired last year. DH rarely spent anything and I felt a bit guilty about my spending, I’m not extravagant, but I have my hair done every eight weeks and go out with friends three or four times a year etc.
Anyway I decided it would be a nice idea to both have spending money. DH has really surprised me he’s actually enjoying it and spending quite freely. Where as I’m being a bit of a saver ! Who’d have thought it.

MissInterpreted Tue 26-Mar-24 13:28:43

Very little. I can't remember the last time I bought something just for myself.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 26-Mar-24 13:31:05

Whether or not it’s a lot to spend on yourself depends on your overall income and savings. I spend very little on myself - very rarely buy clothes, don’t go to the hairdressers any more, have never been one for getting my nails done or having beauty treatments. I wear makeup every day but it lasts a long time. My shampoo etc, moisturiser and hand cream are the only things that need replacing regularly. No cinemas or decent theatres nearby. I do however drive a Porsche which is fairly thirsty and costs a lot in road tax and maintenance. Apart from a glass of wine and feeding the garden birds that’s my only indulgence.

Smileless2012 Tue 26-Mar-24 13:31:54

Like silverlining we have a joint bank account.

hazel93 Tue 26-Mar-24 13:39:37

We have a joint account but DH spends as if he is still employed ! Drives me mad as I have always dealt with all household accounts. How many Amazon parcels does anyone need in a 24hr. period !
Eventually a showdown, not pretty, outcome being he now has pocket money on a weekly basis, he finds it hilarious and tells everyone he is a kept man !

pascal30 Tue 26-Mar-24 15:29:00

I think £250 is quite modest.. I certainly spend more than that but mainly on painting activities and exhibitions

Grannynannywanny Tue 26-Mar-24 15:49:17

Like MissInterpreted I can’t remember the last time I bought something non essential for myself. I live alone and my sole income is my state pension. By the time I buy food, pay household expenses, put petrol in the car etc most if not all of my pension is gone by the end of the month.

But I’m happy with my lot and have lots of pleasure in my life that money can’t buy. My oldest grandchildren are teenagers and still like to spend lots of time with me. My 17 yr old granddaughter comes to stay most Friday nights. We cook, bake and have lovely chats and go for walks.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 26-Mar-24 16:09:53

That’s a joy which money can’t buy Grannynannywanny. I wish you many years of such happiness.

Primrose53 Tue 26-Mar-24 16:10:27

We have a joint account plus our own separate accounts. I honestly have no idea how much I spend on myself per month. If I need something I have it after having to be very frugal in the earlier years of our marriage when all our money went on kids and mortgage.

Husband pays all the household bills, council tax, insurances for vehicles etc. I put fuel in my car, pay for holidays and meals out and buy all birthday and christmas presents. This wasn’t planned, it just happened like this but it works OK.

Stansgran Tue 26-Mar-24 16:18:38

We are comfortable but I feel guilty whenever I buy or think of buying something for myself. My Kindle is pretty sluggish and quite old. I would love the large scribe kindle because I now read books on my iPad and it does clutter up and fill the memory. DH today has just paid for his golf membership - few hundred. He will probably only play twice. He doesn’t like the social side there unless it’s his own particular friends so why should I baulk at buying something I’ll use every day. I could give myself a kick.

Grannynannywanny Tue 26-Mar-24 16:24:50

That’s a joy which money can’t buy Grannynannywanny. I wish you many years of such happiness.

Thank you Germanshepherdsmum. I count my blessings every day. I know I’m very fortunate and I take nothing for granted 😊

crazyH Tue 26-Mar-24 16:31:03

Grannynannywanny - you have something that money can’t buy ❤️. I too live on my own. Fortunately, I had a good divorce lawyer.
Btw, can you not get any benefits like Pension Credit etc. I know my friend gets some sort of benefit to top up her SP. But, you are happy. That’s the main thing.

Cabbie21 Tue 26-Mar-24 16:37:23

I don’t spend money on beauty treatment, nails and so on, just hairdressing every six weeks, occasionally clothes about three times a year, but I have choir subs x 2 and related costs. I put most of my money into savings. DH always spent money on collectibles, DIY etc. Since he died and we have been clearing stuff, we keep asking why there are at least three of everything. He would buy in bulk. There are enough light bulbs and tissues to last a lifetime!

Pittcity Tue 26-Mar-24 16:38:50

hazel93

We have a joint account but DH spends as if he is still employed ! Drives me mad as I have always dealt with all household accounts. How many Amazon parcels does anyone need in a 24hr. period !
Eventually a showdown, not pretty, outcome being he now has pocket money on a weekly basis, he finds it hilarious and tells everyone he is a kept man !

Ditto.
His pocket money is topped up by a little part time job too.
Even then he runs out before payday.
I have all that I want and can still put some away 😇

BlueBelle Tue 26-Mar-24 16:41:12

I don’t spend a lot,I haven’t got a lot and I don’t need a lot
I m happy

Grannynannywanny Tue 26-Mar-24 16:45:50

Grannynannywanny - you have something that money can’t buy ❤️. I too live on my own. Fortunately, I had a good divorce lawyer.
Btw, can you not get any benefits like Pension Credit etc. I know my friend gets some sort of benefit to top up her SP. But, you are happy. That’s the main thing

crazyH I’m not eligible for pension credit as I’m in receipt of the full state pension. It’s a common misconception that anyone with only state pension is entitled to claim pension credit. But it’s for those who have a shortfall in their state pension to top it up to the full amount.

twinnytwin Tue 26-Mar-24 16:56:42

We've always had a joint account since marrying 30+ years ago. We both just buy what we want on credit card which is paid off each month. Neither of us have expensive tastes or habits. We used to spend a lot leasing a luxury vehicle (DH loves BMWs) but now have bought one outright which has reduced our monthly outgoings. DH looks after the finances and budgets for our spending but we have excess funds each month which goes into savings. Luckily we were able to plan carefully for retirement.

lixy Tue 26-Mar-24 16:58:54

Hair cut once every 6 weeks now as it is very short.
Other than that my spending money goes on mulch, compost and plants - gardening is one of my main hobbies so I count that as spending on myself.

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Mar-24 17:06:28

I obviously don't spent enough!

Off to see how I can treat myself.
DH isn't a great spender until it comes to cars.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 26-Mar-24 17:11:44

I buy what I want when I want, but don’t have many wants😳

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 26-Mar-24 17:12:47

This thread reminds me of a work function I attended many years ago, at which a very wealthy client was present. He and my then equally wealthy senior partner were talking about money and said client was saying that his accountant had told him that his wife really must spend more money. Obnoxious.

Greyduster Tue 26-Mar-24 17:15:25

I don’t spend a lot on myself these days. DH’s only indulgence was to buy a season ticket for football every year, and mine was to fund my fly fishing expeditions (an expensive hobby!). I don’t fish much these days and apart from a good haircut, running my car and taking the family out for a nice meal occasionally I have little need to put my hand in my pocket.