Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you own a toilet brush?

(232 Posts)
Desdemona Wed 27-Mar-24 17:54:56

I know this is a bizarre post, but I am wondering!!

I have one. My daughter came home from work today and said the cleaning company had removed them all from the works toilets as they are 'unhygienic.'

She doesn't know what they are using instead!

Labradora Wed 27-Mar-24 18:00:36

Also have a toilet brush that is bleached weekly in scalding water.
Is her firm using one of those brush-type thingys with detachable head ?
I have considered one of those but wondered if the detachable head schtick is just a way of generating more income for the manufacturers and at the expense of our household budget.
Happy to be convinced.
They can't use nothing, surely ?

Desdemona Wed 27-Mar-24 18:05:09

Labradora

Also have a toilet brush that is bleached weekly in scalding water.
Is her firm using one of those brush-type thingys with detachable head ?
I have considered one of those but wondered if the detachable head schtick is just a way of generating more income for the manufacturers and at the expense of our household budget.
Happy to be convinced.
They can't use nothing, surely ?

No idea, it was a passing comment by one of my daughters colleagues - they must, as you say, be using something.

I clean mine by pouring a generous amount of bleach into the toilet bowl and let the brush soak for a few hours.

Sarnia Wed 27-Mar-24 18:05:42

I haven't had a toilet brush in years. They give me the creeps with all sorts of grot sticking to the stained bristles. I use a single use, disposable cleaning pad which attaches to a long handle. The best way is to snap on the rubber gloves and with a non-abrasive cleaning pad get into all the nooks and crannies.

Churchview Wed 27-Mar-24 18:05:50

I have one. I use it to clean the toilet and only to clean the toilet. I can understand how it might be unhygienic if I also used it to do the washing up - or my teeth.

Shinamae Wed 27-Mar-24 18:07:32

Yes, I have one, and when it’s put back in its holder, it is put into bleach…

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 27-Mar-24 18:10:49

Sarnia

I haven't had a toilet brush in years. They give me the creeps with all sorts of grot sticking to the stained bristles. I use a single use, disposable cleaning pad which attaches to a long handle. The best way is to snap on the rubber gloves and with a non-abrasive cleaning pad get into all the nooks and crannies.

What about your guests? Or any visitor using the cloakroom?

Grannynannywanny Wed 27-Mar-24 18:10:55

Mine is gleaming when it comes out of the dishwasher ✨ ✨

merlotgran Wed 27-Mar-24 18:20:22

Grannynannywanny

😂😂

I was waiting for somebody to post that!

infoman Wed 27-Mar-24 18:23:42

From what I was told a ban was put on
hotels,guest houses, B and B etc having toilet brush's.
Check it out if you stay at Travelodge or Premier inn in the future.

Just have to say that what we all do in our own homes is our concern.

heath480 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:27:10

No! Revolting things that have no place in the home nowadays.

Patsy70 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:27:54

Churchview

I have one. I use it to clean the toilet and only to clean the toilet. I can understand how it might be unhygienic if I also used it to do the washing up - or my teeth.

🤣🤣🤣

CanadianGran Wed 27-Mar-24 18:28:56

Yes, always have used one. It sits in the enamel pottie at the back of the bathroom cupboard. Same as Desdemona, I let it sit in the bleachy water for a few minutes before a very hot rinse.

Patsy70 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:30:41

Grannynannywanny

Oh, surely not! Mine goes with the whites in the washing machine on 90 degrees! 🤣🤣🤣

BlueBelle Wed 27-Mar-24 18:36:21

No I never use ones they give me the creeps

Doodledog Wed 27-Mar-24 18:36:47

I also have those 'pad on a stick' ones. They are probably not particularly great ecologically, but they are so much more hygienic. You just clip the pad onto the stick (without touching), clean, then unclip it into the bin (again, without touching) and the job's done. The pads are infused with cleaning product, so there's no over-use of that, and they smell pleasant, so they deodorise as well as clean.

merlotgran Wed 27-Mar-24 18:37:28

Mine is gleaming when it comes out of the dishwasher

If you have a loo seat that lifts off for cleaning you can do them both together.

Saves on energy costs! 😂

Grannynannywanny Wed 27-Mar-24 18:39:35

merlotgran

^Mine is gleaming when it comes out of the dishwasher^

If you have a loo seat that lifts off for cleaning you can do them both together.

Saves on energy costs! 😂

Thanks for the tip! 😆

Mollygo Wed 27-Mar-24 18:45:55

Doodledog

I also have those 'pad on a stick' ones. They are probably not particularly great ecologically, but they are so much more hygienic. You just clip the pad onto the stick (without touching), clean, then unclip it into the bin (again, without touching) and the job's done. The pads are infused with cleaning product, so there's no over-use of that, and they smell pleasant, so they deodorise as well as clean.

I have those as well. They were provided for use in the gîte last year and I liked them so much I ordered one for each toilet (and a pack of refills.)

Redhead56 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:54:54

No as my mum used thick bleach and hot water its what I use.

Shelflife Wed 27-Mar-24 19:02:07

Never owned one - disgusting things! The thought of it lurking in its holder makes me cringe, as for putting it in the dishwasher - surely not 😛 that must be a joke!??? For me it's on with the rubber gloves before I give the loo a good clean .

LOUISA1523 Wed 27-Mar-24 19:15:28

I think they are disgusting....would never have one

Lollin Wed 27-Mar-24 19:15:55

I find it doubles up as a good back scrubber before I use it for the loo before popping into the dishwasher.

Juliet27 Wed 27-Mar-24 19:21:27

Patsy70

Grannynannywanny

Oh, surely not! Mine goes with the whites in the washing machine on 90 degrees! 🤣🤣🤣

And the microwave kills the germs! 🥴

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Mar-24 19:23:11

I know there are silicone ones now...
I know this because I inspected one in TKMaxx this morning!