Gransnet forums

Chat

Soops Kitchen, a place of refuge, reflection and revelry.

(466 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Aug-26 10:09:55

Popped in to see if we had a new ā€˜kitchen’ couldn’t find one so have opened this.

Hope all is well, will catch up next week šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

Redcar Mon 05-Oct-26 21:37:54

Sounds delicious fgt! I do like a jacket potato with butter and cheese!

utbb I hope you sleep well tonight and feel better tomorrow.

jaxjacky fingers crossed the antibiotics are working and the pain receding.

I had my flu jab this morning- I think the pharmacist must have been practicing on me! I actually felt the vaccine going in and my arm/shoulder has been very achy all day. I hope he won’t be doing my Covid jab on Thursday!

I didn’t go to sleep until about 2 last night and was awake at 6.30, so I’m really tired now, will go to bed soon.

I put some grass seed down on a particularly bald patch on the ā€œlawnā€ - no idea how old the seed is, so I’m hoping it will germinate. If not I’ll buy more and bin the old stuff.

Night night everyone, sleep well.

brook2704 Mon 05-Oct-26 22:45:17

Sorry to hear you’re feeling poorly uttb, hope it soon passes and you can rearrange your meet up with fgt soon
We’ve had an enjoyable evening with both DGC here, it’s dgs 13th birthday today so cards and gifts were given and a chocolate birthday cake demolished. A bit of bickering between the two as usual, it’s usually because dgs winds dgd up and then she flounces off šŸ˜‚. Six of one and half a dozen of the other - they made up eventually though! When they left I tidied the kitchen and sat down for a rest to recover!
Hope tomorrow is better Jax and hope your arm isn’t too achey redcar
Take care all and sleep well x

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 05-Oct-26 23:03:31

Hello kitchen people.

I’ve had a reasonable day. While our cleaner cleaned I listened to two lectures from the V&A on Teams. My new course is on the Georgians, their art and architecture. I’m loving it.

I did the usual Waitrose shop after lunch. OH decided to cook himself spare ribs for dinner, which I don’t like. So I cooked myself a sirloin steak. It was pink and perfect.

I hope all those GNs who are under the weather feel better soon.

Sleep šŸ’¤ tight.

cornergran Tue 06-Oct-26 10:04:58

Hello everyone. Spent a while catching up. Ouch jax, such a shame when you’ve been so careful. Hope you feel brighter today utbb.

Flu jabs for us tomorrow, Covid next week. Mr C has blood letting today. He’s no idea why, summoned by the surgery. Hope he asks the why of it, he probably won’t!

We’ve had a four days the far East of Yorkshire visiting our son who has a temporary home there with his work. It’s a long way from home and felt a far longer trip than the 230 miles it was Too far for us? Yes, I guess it was really. We managed, I drove far more than I could have in our previous car and was delighted go learn I can manage three hours without excess pain. All worth it to have an enjoyable weekend together, extra worth it to be able to stop off with a GN pal, we keep in regular message contact and such a treat to meet face to face for a second time.

Best be off or Mr C will not get to his blood letting. Take care everyone.

Nannytopsy Tue 06-Oct-26 17:54:28

Evening all! I hope everyone is over their flu jabs. DH &I were done on Saturday morning and have not had side effects. I’m glad you all had successful Tesco deliveries. Thevdriver on Friday morning didn’t ring the doorbell just knocked the door. Must have been quietly because there were 4 of us here and we didn’t hear it. I did hear the doors shutting as he drove off. Phonecalls sent me to Bury St Edmund’s to collect only to find my shopping was in Thetford. 30 mile round trip and much hanging around meant I didn’t get back until after 4. I leave my review to your imagination. We had family for the weekend so it was a big order.
The weekend went well and the DGC were in good form and charmed all the old dears at the Harvest festival on Sunday morning.
Sleep well everyone.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 06-Oct-26 18:38:19

Hello kitchen people.

I had a great day in London - I’m just on the tube back from Kew where I had dinner with elder son and his family. The study day at the Royal Academy was excellent. We learnt about Scottish painters. I had lunch at Fortnum’s - chicken salad and a Knickerbocker glory!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 18:46:12

Ooh Ladyleftfieldlover I love Fortnum’s have many fond memories.

The GC have been deposited back home. I am about to cook dinner.

Been battling a headache for most of the day, even meditation after Pilates hasn’t helped.

Night night šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

Redcar Tue 06-Oct-26 21:33:46

That knickerbocker glory looks lush llfl! Fortnums is such a lovely shop!

brook my arm isn’t quite as achy today, but not fully recovered. I’m having the Covid jab on Thursday so will probably have to have it in the other arm and hope I can still sleep on that side.

I cut what’s left of the grass today, raked up some more dead grass and moss and attacked some weeds with the hoe, so a good day. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow and I’m hoping that it might encourage the grass to grow.

My dementia friend looked uncomfortable today as she’d slipped off the pillow and was twisted to one side. She can’t move and her DH can’t lift her, but the evening carers will sort her out before bedtime.

DD2 rang briefly, she’s had a sniffle for a few days, but has now lost her voice and has a sore throat. Probably caught from the trains commuting to the office.

Night night everyone, sleep well. grannygravy I hope your headache clears soon.

brook2704 Tue 06-Oct-26 22:10:59

Wow Llfl that’s some Knickerbocker Glory!

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Tue 06-Oct-26 22:15:15

ā€˜Evening All’

It rained heavily here a couple of hours ago. It stopped but everywhere is very wet.

That KBG looks scrumptious LLFL! I’ve never had the good fortune to visit Fortum & Masons. Pretty iconic shopping I imagine!

I’m watching ā€˜Fauda’ again on Netflix. It’s my new addiction (anything but housework is a contender).

Hope today finds you feeling better utbb and more yourself.

Thoughts too tonight with those in the quiet corner.

Soop would’ve known you all personally of course and your reasons for anxiety. She was ever mindful if any of us were struggling with life’s pressures and would say just the right thing to help ease our pain.

That’s why the kitchen became so popular.

Charleygirl5 Tue 06-Oct-26 22:43:26

I had my second appointment this week at the Vascular Clinic and shock horror, I was seen 20 minutes early. I was prepared to be waiting for a couple of hours. I have been offered surgery in both lower legs, having a vein removed and something else done. I have been given papers to read because I am unfamiliar. "Only" a 6 month waiting list, I was expecting 18 months. The medics are good it is the nursing staff who need more training.

I returned to a clean house as my cleaner had done her magic.

Redcar I hope that arm improves and ditto with "Jax*.

utbb I hope you feel better soon.

corner that is a long journey to visit your son. Hopefully he finds a job nearer his home but jobs are so scarce. Is his house close to yours?

Apologies if I have missed anybody.. I may have an early night.

cornergran Wed 07-Oct-26 06:48:07

That sounds hopeful charley. I’m pleased you’ve been offered help. You’re right it was a long trip, worth it though. He’d like to be back South, misses his home which is just over an hour from us. His role is demanding, frustrating and challenging in equal parts. He loves it - just wishes he could pick it up and move it.

Wow, that’s a treat ladylfl. Odd bod here doesn’t like them, the men in my life disagree. Sounds a super day.

That was a shopping kerfuffle nannyt, imagine you were far from pleased. We’re fortunate I think as we get a message when our Morrisons driver is outside as they also don’t use the bell. Why? No idea.

Expect we’ll join the sore arm club today as it’s flu jabs for us at the local pharmacy, just a five minute walk away. Good to know your arm is less sore redcar.

We’ll wander out later, rain is due to ease late morning. You’ve inspired me to go in search of potatoes for jackets fgt. A greengrocer in town sells the best. We can also deposit a small unwanted suitcase full of clothes at a charity shop, Heart Foundation or Salvation Army will welcome both clothes and case. Suspect lunch will be on the cards too, Mr C has announced he’s still on holiday until tomorrow, if that’s the case so is the kitchen fairy šŸ˜‚

Hope everyone slept well and there’s a decent day ahead.

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Oct-26 19:15:27

Hi all, that’s good news Charleygirl hopefully earlier. I’d eat a knickerbocker glory llfl I do make sundaes sometimes, even have the spoons.
The tedium continues, I'm not a patient person, we did have some decent rain for a while overnight and this morning, chillier too.
Have a pleasant evening all and thanks x

Grandmabatty Wed 07-Oct-26 19:25:58

How are you feeling Jaxjacky?
I worked for an hour in the school library this morning. Then home to clear out the airing cupboard and pull out the dehumidifier which has been on in the living room. I cleaned the bathroom and hoovered throughout. Then emptied the cupboard under the kitchen sink, cleaned the shelves, chucked stuff out and rearranged it all. I did some Spanish too. I've been careful with food- no snacks! I rehung paintings and was in for a delivery. I might empty and load the dishwasher or leave it till tomorrow. It's amazing what you can do when you are avoiding food. Enjoy the rest of your evening kitchen folk

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:03:57

Hi folks šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļøit has been raining here since 9.30 am, now just a drizzle.

The teens have been fed, and are now upstairs watching a film. DH is out, I have the remote control - yippee.

Sounds promising Charleygirl

Hope you are feeling better utbb and se sing (((hugs))) to all other poorly friends.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:29:41

ā€˜Evening All’

Charleygirl that news is heartening. So pleased for you. Post surgery it’ll be springtime too, lifts the spirits.

Grandmabatty you’ve been some kind of human dynamo today! Good luck keeping up with the ā€˜no snacks’, Hard when you have littlies visiting though. It’s not like you can’t stock up and then some days (evenings with me) it’s hard to resist.

Jax thinking of you. Search and find your inner ā€˜zen’.

My LWW friend rang me for a good half hour at teatime from MĆ”laga. She’s doing so well since her husband of 81 died unexpectedly in hospital from undiagnosed cancer on Sunday. Today would have been his birthday apparently. 😢

However, as she said, we’ve had a long and happy marriage, retired to Spain many years ago and he didn’t suffer since his unexpected admission to MĆ”laga hospital a week ago today. She’s grateful he never knew he had cancer. Never had to make a decision about treatment or not. Passed peacefully and not in pain at all, for which she is very grateful and takes comfort.

She’s a strong lady. I love her to bits. I’ll give her the biggest hug when I go out next month.

Redcar Wed 07-Oct-26 20:43:27

Hello everyone. I had a good chat with some friends at the local RHS garden this morning , but as it was raining we decided not to bother with walking round, but had a second cup of coffee instead! And a wander round the gift shop which is gearing up for Christmas, I was quite restrained and only bought a couple of birthday cards.
My arm is still a bit sore to touch, and am not looking forward to the covid jab tomorrow but I’ll have to grin and bear it.
I broke a tooth this afternoon and as it’s a bit sensitive I may have to beg for an emergency appointment at the dentist’s. My dentist only works at the surgery on Monday and Tuesday and does private work at another surgery for the rest of the week, I’ll see if I can wait until Monday! I’m definitely falling apart.

It’s rained all day here so the water barrels should be full. I wonder which weeds will be growing tomorrow? I hope the ground is soft enough for me to plant the rest of the bulbs I bought! Colder outside and indoors, I expect the heating will kick in tomorrow if it gets chilly enough indoors.

I’m glad you’ve had some rain too jaxjacky and hope your mouth is feeling more comfortable.

cornergran I hope your arm isn’t too sore after your flu jab.

Thinking of all who are in the quiet corner or feeling poorly.

Night night everyone, sleep well.

MawsRosie Wed 07-Oct-26 20:54:03

I had both jabs yestetday-one in each arm.
Bad choice.
I am a side sleeper but could not lie on either side in bed because both arms hurt! So an awkward night probably mostly on my back which I don't like.
No other ill- effects but I won't do that again

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 21:04:36

My pharmacist advises both jabs in one arm for that very reason Maw going as far as asking which side is the preferred sleeping side then jabs the other arm.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 07-Oct-26 21:28:01

Hello kitchen people.

I haven’t done much today - still recovering from yesterday’s London exertions.

I did some laundry and then made a batch of chocolate icecream. A new recipe with a custard base and it’s tasty,

Has anyone seen the gold statue of a naked golden trump which was unveiled in the European Parliament building in Strasbourg today? It’s hilarious. I tried to post a link but found it impossible to do so,

We watched the new series of Portrait Artist of the Year and were pleasantly surprised that the new judges were reasonable.

Have a good night and sleep šŸ’¤ tight.

Usedtobeblonde Wed 07-Oct-26 21:40:26

Greetings all, I am pleased to say I am back to normal today thank goodness, I can only think that I had my first ever reaction to the Autumn jabs , I discounted it at first as it was a couple of days before I felt as I did but I have recovered so quickly I am going to put the blame in that court.
I went to see my neighbour this afternoon, she is hard work but always tells me as I leave just how much she enjoys our chats which makes me realise I have to keep it up.

I am taking another friend out for a meal tomorrow night,it is for her birthday which was two months ago!!
We are meeting at 5:30 which is rather early for me but her treat so her choice.
I don’t like to be out late now so perhaps it will be ok.

I hope the ones under the weather especially with dental problems will soon be feeling better and everyone else has a good night, it is definitely colder here tonight.

brook2704 Wed 07-Oct-26 23:22:21

Hi kitchen pals, just checking in before turning the light off and snuggling down.
Apologies I’m out of touch again with everyone’s news as I’ve been busy and time just flies. Hope everyone is doing ok though and I’ll catch up soon x

Nannytopsy Wed 07-Oct-26 23:42:33

Another one about to snuggle down! A day with several hours of rain but not as heavy as we were forecast. The ground looks quite wet, so planting the three tiers to the patio should be easy on Friday. It’s all dug, topsoil added then manure, ready to go. I spent the day on admin: church, WI, garden club, pantomime tickets, finding important emails and clearing lots of emails from my in box. Still have several hundred to clear.
Glad you are feeling better UTBB and that the sore arms have improved.
Sleep well everyone

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Oct-26 18:14:30

No rain here today, but a bit chilly first thing.

The teens have been here to lick up their stuff after college and are now home. My house is gleaming after my cleaning fairies this morning,

We then popped up to the farm shop for veggies and garden centre for a birthday gift.

DH is doing something with a pork loin for dinner, I am in potatoes and veggies.

Good evening šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 19:31:07

ā€˜Evening All’

I’m just settling down with some supper in a pasta bowl on my lap. Now I’m on my own I don’t always eat at the table.

Ready to watch Traitors in half an hour.

I took my stepfather to the optician today as his sight has been ā€˜misty’ for a few weeks. Upshot is, one eye can be easily treated with YAG laser but the other is old age (94) macular degeneration. Referral to the Eye Hospital from the optician today for triaging.

If it’s dry it will continue to cloud over, if irs wet then regular injections may help so šŸ¤žfor him.