Gransnet forums

Chat

Wish me luck - job interview today

(120 Posts)
fizzers Thu 29-Aug-19 08:44:19

At 63 years old I'm going for my first job interview in over 25 years years today. After taking redundancy and early retirement, dwindling funds is forcing me back into the job market.

I finished work over two years ago and within a few months I became my mother's carer practically 24/7 up until she passed away at Christmas. I wasn't entitled to any financial help and my pension didn't cover my bills so have used the pension pot.

I don't know how I feel, I see people around me with a multitude of kids, who have never worked a day in their lives and here's me at 63 having to go back to work. I'm physically and mentally drained

Oh goodness I turned this into a moan! Just wanted some good luck wishes! have a good day everyone

Missfoodlove Thu 29-Aug-19 08:45:21

Good luck. Let us know how it went?

Anniebach Thu 29-Aug-19 08:51:00

Good luck x

Poppyred Thu 29-Aug-19 08:51:47

Good Luck!

mosaicwarts Thu 29-Aug-19 08:57:44

Good luck, you are very courageous. I am 62 and have also seriously dipped into my pension pot, I am getting scared and also need to job hunt.

Let us know how you get on smile

Nico97 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:04:12

Good luck flowers

DanniRae Thu 29-Aug-19 09:06:21

Good Luck fizzers - I hope you are successful flowers

Marilla Thu 29-Aug-19 09:06:50

Well done in having the courage to apply AND getting an interview! I’m wishing you lots of luck.

Gran2028 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:07:21

Dig deep..dont forget you have AMAZING life skills and experience.. yes it will be scary..and confusing..new faces..names ..systems..
Be kind to yourself and alk will be well..
Eat well.. put the new challenges and concerns aside before bed.. and most of all believe in you..
Best wishes for you new future..

Daisymae Thu 29-Aug-19 09:07:47

Good luck, just act confident! X

annep1 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:09:12

Yes, I agree life can be very unfair fizzers but I think you were wonderful to look after your mother like that.
Who knows, you might really enjoy being out at work?
Best of luck with the interview ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:11:57

GOOD LUCK fizzers ☘??

luluaugust Thu 29-Aug-19 09:14:08

Good luck for the interview hope all goes well.

Alima Thu 29-Aug-19 09:17:27

Good luck at your interview fizzers!

Persistentdonor Thu 29-Aug-19 09:18:50

Even getting an interview is a bit of a triumph.
Good luck to you.
Try not to view it as an awful necessity, but an adventure which might open many doors.
Fingers crossed for you.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Aug-19 09:20:02

Every good luck, life can be a real bummer, but try to stay positive and fingers crossed

Sara65 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:22:32

Wishing you luck

I agree with Annepl, you may really enjoy it, lots of older people in the workplace these days, let us know how you get on.

TwiceAsNice Thu 29-Aug-19 09:24:12

Good luck! I went for two job interviews after a gap of 14 years when I relocated to another area. I got both jobs and am very happy working again , albeit part time. I cannot afford not to as my outgoings are more than my pension money so it’s good that I love the job I’m in.

Don’t forget you have loads of work and life experience. Tell yourself they are lucky to have you because of that. Try and relax and really listen to what they are asking you. Take your time answering you are allowed space to think about your answer.

When you get it it’s an exciting new bit of your life!

Mapleleaf Thu 29-Aug-19 09:36:38

Wishing you good luck, fizzers.
Here’s hoping that all the positive vibes from your fellow GN’s will bring you success.?

EllanVannin Thu 29-Aug-19 09:42:19

Nothing is ever impossible and there are some places who prefer the more " mature " and experienced workers. Grit your teeth and prepare to move forward.
The best of luck to you.
There should be no age discrimination, right ?

millymouge Thu 29-Aug-19 09:48:52

Sending good luck wishes. Do let us know how you get on

Franbern Thu 29-Aug-19 09:58:06

Good Luck. I was in a similar position to yours some 17 years ago. My youngest son died at age of 25 years, and in an effort to try to sort out my life I applied for a part-time job. This was in 2002, and I had not been in paid work since 1969 when I had my first child.
Even on the morning of the interview I had to keep talking myself out of panic mode. I was 61 years old and had been out of the employment market for over thirty years. I had, however, done unpaid voluntary work as an administrator and this served to get me that job I was being interviewed for in the NHS.
Over the following nine years, I increased my hours, upped my grade and made lots of friends and had a wonderful time, finally retiring just prior to my 70th birthday.
Do let us know how you get on, fizzers, even if this one does not turn out successful, keep going.

Glammy57 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:08:22

Good luck fizzers! ??

glammanana Thu 29-Aug-19 10:19:12

Best of luckfizzers you have quite a few years of experience left to offer to a Company,lets know how you get on I'm sure you will do well.

gillybob Thu 29-Aug-19 10:23:06

Wishing you a huge amount of luck fizzers I think there will be a lot of us looking for work in our 60's soon . sad