Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Adverts

(169 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:59:23

I do like the Tesco one but have only seen that and the M & S one so far.

DanniRae Mon 13-Nov-17 16:18:29

Not daft at all Jamila - I wanted to be Hayley Mills!

GracesGranMK2 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:30:36

I wanted to be Haley Mills too!!!

GracesGranMK2 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:39:07

I can see why the might not think it Christmassy enough RAF but what a lovely film.

Deedaa Mon 13-Nov-17 21:03:44

I loved the Waitrose one - I mean it's got a Border Collie and nothing is complete without a Border Collie! I agree with everybody about Home Fires. I hate it when they cancel something good and tell you they've done it to make room for something even better. The something even better never seems to materialise!

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 21:25:30

Blinko, Tan Hill is in Yorkshire. It's been snowed in over fifty times in living memory.
Had our first snow of the winter today, about 11.30. Fortunately it will be warmer tomorrow.

DanniRae Tue 14-Nov-17 09:23:06

Hi *GGMK2" - Amazingly Hayley Mills was on tv last night in "Celebrity Antiques Road Trip". She came across as really sweet and entertaining.

KatyK Tue 14-Nov-17 10:59:21

Another one here who wanted to be Hayley Mills. There was a boy in our street who I was in love with grin All he ever talked about was Hayley Mills. A group of us all used to troop off to the pictures to watch her films.

DanniRae Tue 14-Nov-17 12:43:22

Do any of you would- be Hayley Mills' remember the fuss when she had her first screen kiss in The Moonspinners? (Had to google the film as it was such a long time ago!)
Sorry this thread seems to have wandered away from Christmas Ads!!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:16:18

No, I don't, I don't know why. The Parent Trap, Whistle Down the Wind and The Family Way spring to mind - I rather liked Hywel Bennett in that too.

Now I have the music from Whistle Down the Wind going round and round my head!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:20:10

Debenhams Ad has made me smile.

here

merlotgran Tue 14-Nov-17 23:21:09

I didn't want to be Hayley Mills. I wanted to be Jane Asher.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Nov-17 23:25:42

I wanted to be Alexandra Bastedo. in my dreams

Tegan2 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:30:24

I really loved that Celebrity Antiques Road Trip programme with Hayley Mills; she's a delight. She packed in work when her son was young, didn't she. One of my favourite bands at the time was Kula Shaker...

DanniRae Wed 15-Nov-17 08:21:32

OMG I really DISLIKED Jane Asher because she was Paul McCartney's girl friend and I wanted to be his girl friend! To be honest I still dislike her to this day angry

Blinko Wed 15-Nov-17 15:41:35

dj, I've been to Tan Hill, though it was in the Summer. Has it been snowed in 50 times, etc. over Christmas, I wonder? Given that the weather in the New Year is usually colder than that before Christmas. Just musing.

As for wanting to be somebody else, like Chewy that would be Alexandra Bastedo. Very glam at 17,unlike me envy

Jalima1108 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:00:34

merlotgran I wanted to be Jane Asher too, when she was going out with Paul McCartney. However, my tastes have changed somewhat (or perhaps he has hmm)

First of all I wanted to be one of the Famous Five, then a boarding school pupil at St Clare's or Mallory Towers as long as I could take my (non-existent) pony to school, then Francesca Annis, then Margaret Court and dazzle at Wimbledon.

I'm quite happy to be me these days.

Jalima1108 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:04:05

She packed in work when her son was young, didn't she. One of my favourite bands at the time was Kula Shaker
She has two sons, the older one was in Kula Shaker, not sure what the younger one is doing now, I think he became a theatre director.

durhamjen Wed 15-Nov-17 19:33:42

50 times since 2005, Blinko.
I remember them being in the news one New Year's Eve not so long ago, as the staff couldn't get there and they had loads of guests.

Blinko Thu 16-Nov-17 21:35:30

Cosy.

durhamjen Thu 16-Nov-17 22:18:06

I hope they were given a refund, as they probably had to do the cooking and washing up until they were rescued.

Lillie Mon 20-Nov-17 15:07:01

The Heathrow Airport one! So timeless and universal.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 21-Nov-17 22:58:27

Lillie I've just come across the Heathrow one and it's definitely my favourite!

Watch it here

Grandma2213 Wed 22-Nov-17 01:27:11

Bah Humbug - I hate Christmas (and most other) adverts and never know what they are for. The one I would watch would be a written message saying,

'We're not doing an advert but donating the money we would have spent to the following charities....... List of charities ...' And pleeeease no background music!!

I would actually look at who had posted this advert and may even make an attempt to shop there!

DanniRae Wed 22-Nov-17 09:04:28

OMG - Just watched the Heathrow Airport ad and I loved it! (Thank you for posting it WMKF)
However slightly concerned how an ad with animated teddy bears can bring a tear to my eye?? shock

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Nov-17 23:51:13

DanniRael it's the only one that brought a tear to my eyes too. Apparently there's more than one video with the teddy bears, so I'm off to watch them on YouTube! grin