Gransnet forums

Christmas

A happy thread for Christmas

(72 Posts)
Grannyknot Wed 13-Dec-17 14:20:52

Let's keep a happy thread going over the Christmas season.

I read this on Twitter, it made me happy tchsmile ❤️:

Jury selection - yesterday
Man: I can’t serve; I’m away for weekend.
Judge: We don’t sit at weekends.
Man: I’m away till Monday. I’m 54, a bachelor & it’s my 1st time in love.
Judge: Then you GO and you GO with my blessing.

Truly an epic moment!

JackyB Wed 20-Dec-17 08:43:15

We are going to visit DS2 and family tomorrow. It's the only chance we shall have to see them this Christmas. My DiL2 texted this morning that, if we like, they could take DGD out of kindergarten on Friday so that we could spend the morning with her whilst her parents are out at work. We see so little of her, so this is a special treat - I texted her back that it was a lovely Christmas present and we would love to do it.

I so love my DiL's.

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Dec-17 09:03:52

Oh, thank goodness, a happy thread on GN. It's been a sad and argumentative place lately, so I hope it stays upbeat.

I love Christmas, and the run up to it. We had a lovely family day yesterday, just watching Paddington and eating pizza, laughing with the DGS and hearing about their parties and nativities. Today I'm planning on making Christmas tree biscuits with DGS2 combined with the story of the sad little fir tree, then taking him and DGS4 for a walk in the woods (we have us a theme!). Tomorrow's our last pre-Christmas time with DGS1 and 3, so it'll be more Christmas stories and excitement. tchsmile

Rolande Wed 20-Dec-17 10:17:50

Well, although a part of me {tucked away now} is sad, I love Christmas, Going to look after my 6 year old DGD for a few days and then all the family reunited at my DD for Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day. Games, good food and just all together with DS and DD and DGC. I wasn't sure about going on Christmas Eve, I didn't want my DH's ashes here alone. My DD said firmly "he's coming too". So, he is! And that makes me happy!! Please don't think Im crazy grin

inishowen Wed 20-Dec-17 10:18:47

I'm going to my daughter's today to help her sort out baby clothes. Her gorgeous boy is 6 months old. She had five miscarriages before him so we are truly happy to have him.

Aepgirl Wed 20-Dec-17 10:22:16

I shall be taking my grandson to see Father Christmas in about an hour's time. So lovely to see the wonder in a child's eyes.

Joyfully Wed 20-Dec-17 10:44:36

We are going to be on the beach here in Norfolk on Christmas Day. Our two dogs, and two we are looking after. Such heavenly bliss. Perfect for us

nonnasusie Wed 20-Dec-17 10:57:25

Going to England for a week tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing all the family and watching 2 of the G.D opening their presents on Christmas Day ?????

TwiceAsNice Wed 20-Dec-17 10:57:25

I am spending Christmas at my daughters house with other daughter SIL and grandchildren. They still believe in Father Christmas so it's lovely. Am waiting in for last on line present to be delivered and giving the flat a clean as going into hosp tomorrow for an eye op so won't see so well after it. Lovely daughters will look after me afterwards DD2 is taking me. We had a lovely concert/Carol service at school last week and DG1 had something to say on her own which she did beautifully ( I'm not biased!) I love Christmas and all the planning decorating etc so am looking forward to special time with my family. So relaxed when everyone has time off work. A Happy and peaceful Christmas to you all

blueberry1 Wed 20-Dec-17 10:59:30

On Sunday,I spent the morning with my own grandchildren and several other families with children at a "Breakfast with Santa."Lovely food and so good to see the little ones in their Christmas outfits enjoying themselves.
I then met my daughters 2 new kittens,cute and full of fun!
The afternoon was spent with a family gathering at home,lots of memories and laughs and yet more food!
A very happy day and worth the exhaustion I felt on Monday!

newnanny Wed 20-Dec-17 11:17:43

I am so excited, I just heard my DD and SiL will be bringing my only DGS to spend a week with us on holiday in France. I don't get to see him very often as he lives a couple of hours drive away from me and he is at nursery all of the week. This is my Christmas wish come true and I am so happy about it.

Esspee Wed 20-Dec-17 11:49:50

I left a very cold UK on Sunday and am now basking in the sunshine with my OH courtesy of the FIT payment from our solar panels. So the sunshine on our roof paid for us to be here in the sunshine. Love the cyclic nature of this. grin
Happy holidays everyone!

chrissyh Wed 20-Dec-17 11:51:59

Off to the panto this afternoon (Snow White) with DDiL and DGDs. Love seeing the children's faces. They're insisting I have a 'flashing' fairy wand to wave - and I will.

Suzan05 Wed 20-Dec-17 11:55:09

My youngest daughter and her partner fly into Heathrow on Saturday from Australia.......can’t wait!

schnackie Wed 20-Dec-17 11:56:02

I've had a difficult month with my son, as some of you know, but things have stabilised with him for now (not coming here just yet, but in a few months). But TODAY my DD is having 2 embryo's implanted in hope of GC 3, (or 3 and 4 as they put 2 in, in hopes of one surviving). She has been extremely fortunate to have had DGS and DGD by IVF, both on first attempt. So not trying to be greedy but she and DSIL are wonderful parents and both hope for a larger family. I will spend the afternoon in prayer.

chickenlegs Wed 20-Dec-17 12:53:07

Beginning to pack clothes, food and presents for trip to CenterParcs on Friday. Five lovely days with my DD, her partner and 2 DGS. In our seventies, we thought we wouldn't have any, then younger daughter popped out two in her forties! At three and eleven months, they are perfect.

NannyTee Wed 20-Dec-17 13:06:11

Ahhh have fun everyone!

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Dec-17 13:09:39

What a great thread. So good to hear some happy news.

NannaM Wed 20-Dec-17 14:35:02

Nice to have a happy thread! On Friday my DD and SiL arrive for two weeks from New York City. On Friday night my DGD arrives for 2 nights for a pre-Christmas visit, so we will have Christmas on Saturday because the DGD leaves Sunday morning for her time with her "other family". I cant wait.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 20-Dec-17 16:38:45

Hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas! I sent the last cards and a present by letter post this morning, the food is all in the house, the baking nearly finished, our nativity scenes, DH and I have one each are set up, and I am buying the tree tomorrow morning. Then I shall finish the baking.

I adore the run up to Christmas and the celebration.

Sheilasue Wed 20-Dec-17 16:47:50

Had a phone call from my elderly Aunt today she’s such a lovely lady and my uncle died two years ago so she misses him I had sent her some flowers she lives near Eastbourne and I live in Woolwich so cant get to see her so much
She said she was speechless and we giggled because she is always chattering on.
Made my day. ‘

NannyTee Wed 20-Dec-17 18:26:01

Ahh I love it all. My 7 yr old DGD has just waved us off ( only live round the corner) shouting " Only 5 more sleeps did you know " bless

DanniRae Wed 20-Dec-17 18:34:39

We bought the last two presents today! This has made me feel quite relieved. Now to get the house a bit more shiny and a bit less dusty then Christmas can begin tchsmile

MissAdventure Wed 20-Dec-17 18:40:17

Well, from a real old misery guts, I just had a lovely moment. We have a Christmas sleigh that does the rounds here, with music playing, lights, and father Christmas himself on it. I opened the door to look, and saw the 3 little children from upstairs, who were overcome with excitement! They were singing along, jumping up and down, clutching each other and saying "its him!" Very sweet.

nanaK54 Wed 20-Dec-17 18:49:46

This is such a lovely thread! smile

HillyN Wed 20-Dec-17 18:50:55

I've been doing various Christmas crafts with the DGC today and we've had so much fun. It has inspired my DH to create a stable for the Nativity characters. He is sawing wood as I write!