Gransnet forums

Christmas

"Christmas is just for the kids really"

(69 Posts)
Twostep Thu 14-Dec-17 09:08:04

I've long kept my mouth shut about this, but I can't anymore! If one more of my friends tells me this, I'll blow grin Only kidding, but it does seem so sad that adults feel, at some point, that their turn for enjoyment is over and it must all be for the children from then on.

I always have and always will enjoy Christmas very much. I look forward to it all December every year - it's fun and a time when I really appreciate my family, both those still with us and those departed.

I find itall a bit joyless to turn your back on any kind of merriment once you reach a certain age...

BBbevan Thu 14-Dec-17 09:14:25

Oh no it isn't. !!!!!

Twostep Thu 14-Dec-17 09:19:41

I would do the old panto 'ohhh, yes t is!' reply BBbevan, but I agree with you grin

Teetime Thu 14-Dec-17 09:22:44

I think Christmas helps us find the inner child in ourselves (sorry if that sounds like pyschobabble). I believe it is important for our mental well being to be able to enjoy and take pleasure. Giving and receiving is also part of that and that doesn't have to mean gifts - it can just be spending time with someone and giving them comfort and friendship.
On another thread I posted about my brother who is only 70 saying 'he couldn't be bothered' with Christmas- he says this every year and we barely get the smallest card from him. I told him if he says 'couldn't be bothered' about almost everything and that puts him in God's Waiting Room.
Christmas can take many forms in many households so you pick and choose the way you like to do it best. I love it all except the inevitable weight gain.
Rejoice you Merry Gentlefolk!!! tchsmile

Maggiemaybe Thu 14-Dec-17 09:24:02

Well I'll do the "Oh yes it is, then!" (replying to the last sentence of the OP, not the title - I love Christmas!). tchgrin

MissAdventure Thu 14-Dec-17 09:24:41

For me, its about the children. I really am anti Christmas, really.

ninathenana Thu 14-Dec-17 09:25:07

It's hard to be enthusiastic about Christmas when you have no family to share it with. Whether that's due to distance or what ever reason.
We've been invited to stay with friends this year which is lovely but I have zero Christmas spirit as this is the first year without being able to buy for the GC.

Oldwoman70 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:28:44

I live alone, never had children, no family in this country so I will spend Christmas alone, BUT, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself in my own way.

I was shopping yesterday and loved seeing the small children looking so excited and happy but I don't think I need children around to enjoy Christmas. So, no Christmas isn't just for kids (unless you include the grown up ones smile

sarahellenwhitney Thu 14-Dec-17 10:17:21

My happiest xmas's were those when the house was filled with the excitement of my children opening their presents on xmas morning. So for me xmas is for children.

Jaycee5 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:19:07

I agree. It is not just for kids and it is not just for people with families. It should be for everyone who wants to enjoy it.

Anniebach Thu 14-Dec-17 10:25:13

Jaycee, do you sit alone on Christmas morning opening gifts? I don 't ask unkindly ?

Granny23 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:31:25

We were brought up with Christmas is for the children and New Year is for the Grown UPs. A child centred Christmas with games and toys, little or no alcohol and a light dinner was followed a week later by a full on steak pie feed, loads of drink and First Footing, dancing and singing from midnight till dawn, small children safely sound asleep at Granny's.

SillyNanny321 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:34:54

I will probably sit with my cats over another period of enforced idleness. No transport so cannot go out. Dodgy back & legs so only a quick walk unless it snows. Do not force myself on anyone else as this is time for young families not old grouchies! Christmas has lost its point now along with all the Bank Holidays where buses dont run & there is nowhere to go even if they did. Not usually so fed up & miserable but it is what living alone does to you at this time of year! Rollon Spring!

Minerva Thu 14-Dec-17 10:40:16

It’s for the children in my book and always has been. My mother always expected to be the centre of attention and once she had opened her half dozen presents would sit and frown as my children opened a small mountain of presents. At the time I wondered if I would get to be like that but I am happy to report that we have agreed grandchildren only this year and extra cheques to charity. My greatest Christmas pleasure will be in seeing the children's excitement. I have bought little presents for the children to give their parents and will be very content if all I get is hugs and kisses.

kathyd Thu 14-Dec-17 10:42:27

I love spontaneously buying presents for people, and do often during the year, but I hate buying Christmas presents. I feel it's 'enforced' giving and rather resent it.
This year I have been told I must buy a present for someone I haven't even met - a godson's partner's cousin - as she will be a guest at the meal.
I had this news just after I had decided to empty out my box of little presents kept as 'extras' in case of need and I had taken them to the charity shop in case someone else needed something similar. All new and in their wrappings.
They were too nice to have lingered on the shelf so I can't buy one back and will have to buy something else. Pfff!

Hellsgrandad Thu 14-Dec-17 10:42:31

Being a granddad rather than a gran I don't post very much on here but I really wanted to join in this thread.
Christmas is a wonderful time for all. When you're a child it has a magical atmosphere and excitement and as you grow older that magic is passed through the children to the adults. The wonder in the eyes of children, their laughter and yes, sometimes their tears all add to a magic compounded by the smells of cooking and even the smell of a real Christmas tree.
Then there's the coming together of families - sometimes from long distances. Oh, the joy that this can bring!
Finally, the reflection on how it all started. I wouldn't want to preach but if it wasn't for the birth of Jesus, a magical, or rather miraculous event in itself, the whole thing would never have happened.

grannyactivist Thu 14-Dec-17 10:43:01

SillyNanny321 would you join in a community Christmas lunch if one was held in your area?

Not everyone who lives alone is lonely, but for those who are there may be opportunities to meet up with others and share the occasion together.

EEJit Thu 14-Dec-17 10:43:30

I lost the Christmas spirit when the kids grew up, got it back when the grandkids came along, then lost it again as they scattered around the country

Jaycee5 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:45:48

Anniebach I am sorry but there is no way to ask that kindly.

Anniebach Thu 14-Dec-17 10:47:35

Easy to condemn those who find no joy in Christmas, Twostep you say you appreciate your family, not everyone has family .

Tennyson comes to mind - But the tender grace of a day that is dead will never come back to me.

Let those who enjoy Christmas do so, let those who do not say so.

Anniebach Thu 14-Dec-17 10:48:52

How else can it be worded Jaycee? I meant no unkindness

Jaycee5 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:50:11

Anniebach You could not say it at all.

Amry64 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:51:38

Christmas is about Christ and is for everybody. And no, I'm not a religious nutter, but this was what I was brought up with and is the reason we have Christmas at this time of year - or call it a Winter Festival if you must. I feel it's not just about presents but it is about "giving" - in the sense of being nice to people, appreciating what we have. Joy in our lives. This will be my 3rd Christmas since my husband died and I have now put up my fairy lights, and sent cards to lots of people to thank them for their support, and will get a tree later this week. Bringing in the light!

lesley4357 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:54:21

Goodness there are some miserable postings on here! Christmas is what you make it and I choose to enjoy it rather than moan about it. Bah humbug

grandtanteJE65 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:00:05

There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying Christmas, but I find it entirely understandable that people who have suffered in one way or another may no longer be able to enjoy any festival that reminds them of the people they have lost, or whatever else has caused and perhaps still causes them pain.

But I do agree that Christmas is not just for the children - however, if a person is not a practising Christian he or she may not see the point of the festival as a grown-up who is not giving or receiving presents,