Gransnet forums

Christmas

John Lewis Christmas Advert

(204 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Nov-18 08:01:13

Just watched the John Lewis Christmas Advert ?????

Good publicity for Elton John

NanaElla Thu 15-Nov-18 15:13:19

Anniebach I think it's about a present can be more than a present it can shape a future. I quite liked it although I still preferred the penguin one, and the one they did a while back where the little boy was waiting for Christmas and at the end you found out he didn't want his own presents he wanted to give them to his parents - still makes me tear up now

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 15:30:43

I think more children will be receiving iPads and iPhones than pianos

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Nov-18 15:46:33

Anniebach one of my GC has asked for a piano, I think santa is bringing an electric keyboard so it can be played with headphones on till they get more accomplished ????

Lisagran Thu 15-Nov-18 15:48:24

www.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=yamaha

Apparently John Lewis are now selling pianos “inspired by our Christmas advert”

Sparklefizz Thu 15-Nov-18 15:51:25

Annie For goodness sake, it doesn't have to be a piano, does it? That's nitpicking.

The message is that a present can lead on to other things,
whatever that present may be, and that it can mean more than just the initial gift.

BlueBelle Thu 15-Nov-18 15:53:03

I hope he doex give it to charity Sparklefizz it’s a lot of money but it’s such a bland unexciting advert just a brief resume of his life story
How many people in those long gone days had the money to buy their small child a piano, wasn’t it an orange and a book or game
Of course I understand the message they are trying to portray but this doesn’t work at all in my opinion

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 15:56:27

So because I don’t like the advert Sparklefiz I am nitpicking ?

Sparklefizz Thu 15-Nov-18 15:57:16

BlueBelle I believe it's supposed to be based on his own life story, except that the piano was at his Grandma's.

I still love it anyway.

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 15:58:09

It is said the advert cost seven million pounds

Sparklefizz Thu 15-Nov-18 16:01:37

No, it's not because you don't like the advert, Annie, it's because you are doing what you always do and picking out one word or phrase and criticising it. I don't care what you personally like or don't like, I really don't, but I do get exasperated when people are petty and pedantic.

Other people on here have said they don't like the ad and that's fine by me, as you can see from my answers..... but you keep repeating that you can't understand the message, and then when several people explain it to you, your response is that more children will be receiving iPads blah blah blah.

ginny Thu 15-Nov-18 16:02:44

I realise what they are trying to say but I’m afraid it didn’t impress me at all. Too much Elton and very little Christmas.

Gonegirl Thu 15-Nov-18 16:08:02

It's very disappointing. Perhaps it will come over better on television than it does on a video.

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 16:14:36

So Sparklefizz criticism is nitpicking. I appreciate a poster giving me their explanation of the meaning of the advert to them. I will continue to critcise anything which for me needs criticising and you can continue to pounce with accusations of nitpicking

Gonegirl Thu 15-Nov-18 16:19:53

I wonder what the oversize hooded "work shirt" I have bought for grandson will lead onto in his life.

Gonegirl Thu 15-Nov-18 16:20:54

Other grandson wants money. Will he be a rich banker?

MissAdventure Thu 15-Nov-18 16:25:11

I don't watch any of these type of ads.
I find it quite unpleasant, but then I am a grinch. (Although I've never watched the film, as I don't enjoy Christmas films either!)grin

Sparklefizz Thu 15-Nov-18 16:26:45

Annie I'm not rising to your bait over something as joyous as a Christmas message. Sorry. grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Nov-18 16:28:01

Looks like mine might be heading for jobs as super heroes and inter-galactic stormtroopers. Great career prospects, I’m sure. smile

Willow500 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:29:42

Have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by it and found it more about EJ than Christmas although I did get the message. I had heard he was donating his fee to charity so don't have a problem with it although how it's cost so much I've no idea. Much prefer the Sainsbury ad with the little one dressed up as a plug hurling them self at the socket. grin

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 17:03:16

Could be truth in it, my grandson and elder granddaughter have wanted money for several years, he has a degree in economics she is now in law. Youngest is giving it more thought, she is studying criminal psychology!

BlueBelle Thu 15-Nov-18 17:04:10

Just saw a Lidl advert doing the rounds on fb saying if you can’t afford £875 for a piano like Elton John you can buy our keyboard for £89 ???

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 17:06:03

BlueBelle ? I like it

Gonegirl Thu 15-Nov-18 17:06:07

Love that! grin

BlueBelle Thu 15-Nov-18 17:12:19

Here it is It got lots of positive comments saying Good advertising etc etc

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 17:22:00

?