Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas jumpers - nice or naff?

(86 Posts)
petitpois Fri 23-Nov-18 15:22:24

Personally, I love mine. BUT I do try and buy second-hand where possible so I'm not creating extra waste. People tend to only wear them a few times so they're usually in excellent condition. Glitzier, sillier and more embarrassing the better - in my opinion. tchgrin

sazz1 Sat 24-Nov-18 11:52:02

Lovely on children but not on adults. Have one that I had to wear to a Christmas Party meal in a pub as we were all told to wear one.

Jan51 Sat 24-Nov-18 11:43:51

I find jumpers way too hot so buy a christmas t-shirt. There are some very colourful ones on ebay and they are very reasonable prices.

Speldnan Sat 24-Nov-18 11:37:27

Totally naff and another American import- just a ruse to make money on something worn only once. Also some of them are so thick and woolly who would wear it in a centrally heated house? Bah humbug for me..

mabon1 Sat 24-Nov-18 11:35:40

Total waste of money. give the cost of that item to a charity Most of these jumpers are most likely made by people in sweat shops.

Jane43 Sat 24-Nov-18 11:21:07

Most Christmas jumpers are way too hot for me so I go for more lighttweight tops or teeshirts. I had a lovely top with a sparkly robin on but had to put it in a charity bag due to weight loss. I have bought a nice ochre lightweight jumper with sparkle in it from M&S because I had some vouchers to use and I have a Christmas tree brooch to put on it to make it more festive. I will be able to wear it throughout the winter and keep it for future Christmases. DH has two festive tee shirts which he wears during the Christmas period but also due to weight loss they are now way too big and he has to get something else this year. He does always wear a festive bobble hat when he takes the dog for a walk but I hate hats, festive or otherwise.

MawBroon Sat 24-Nov-18 11:20:55

And “onEsie” Gabriell.

ctussaud Sat 24-Nov-18 11:20:09

I wouldn’t buy a Christmas jumper for me, but why not customise one you already have by safety-pinning small tree decorations around the neck or shoulders, or even winding tinsel or baby LED lights around like a necklace?

Skweek1 Sat 24-Nov-18 11:10:26

Definitely naff, but so what. I use mine when my choir (I'm keyboard player so can play it different from the singers!) visit residential homes for carol concerts and last year I teamed mine up with black tights, Rudolf earrings and a Bah Humbug hat. Everyone laughed and loved it.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 24-Nov-18 10:56:12

Horrible things. Look cheap and a waste of money.

notgoneyet Sat 24-Nov-18 10:54:03

We always buy my 26-year-old granddaughter at least one Christmas jumper - she's a nursery practitioner and the kids and babies love them. However, at 7 months pregnant with twins this Christmas, I think this is a tradition we'll possibly be dropping this year; she won't fit into them lol.

harrigran Sat 24-Nov-18 10:53:03

Naff from me too and I do not dress my tree or festoon the walls with plastic tat and tinsel.

Esspee Sat 24-Nov-18 10:45:50

Definitely tacky IMHO.

Bathsheba Sat 24-Nov-18 10:39:25

They're no more naff than Christmas trees covered in tinsel and glitzy decorations, or plastic garlands trying (and failing) to look like woodland greenery complete with shiny plastic berries.
So if you're going to adorn your living room with sparkle and glitter, and hang fairy lights on the outside with spray snow on your windows, then what's a Christmas jumper between friends? Just another bit of frivolous fun for the festive season tchsmile

Blinko Sat 24-Nov-18 10:35:04

Big boobs look even larger in any kind of jumper, let alone something glittery. So it's a 'No' from me. I have a sparkly Christmas skirt though. Does that count?

notanan2 Sat 24-Nov-18 10:31:53

They are supposes to be naff, its kitch

GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 10:31:48

MOnica

GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 10:31:09

Discreet...Monica wink

GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 10:29:20

*onsie, not one side. blush

GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 10:28:34

It's a 'NAFF' from me too.
I also hate one side on adults.
A couple of years ago I stayed with one of my DDs and her OH in the new year. They both wore a onesie but although it looked mildly ridiculous on DD, on her OH it looked stupid and laughable but not to him, a 40 yr old man.
I'm glad she got rid of him.

Ashcombe Sat 24-Nov-18 10:21:38

I have acquired a few over the years and love wearing them. Last year, Lidl had jumpers with matching leggings which were great for sitting around in the not too warm house in which I was a guest at Christmas!
Each to his own, but I think it’s fun!

GrannyIris5 Sat 24-Nov-18 10:18:39

Got about 5 in all some are more t shirt than jumper, will wear in rotation from December 1st. Had them for a few years. It’s the ‘silly season’ after all. OH has 3 which he’ll wear for work odd days.

shysal Sat 24-Nov-18 10:18:38

I decorated this cheap plain red T shirt several years ago for the seasonal aerobics classes, and despite being done with felt it has survived careful hand washing. I have a couple of sweatshirts which I would find too hot but the GCs borrow them for the school charity day.

DoraMarr Sat 24-Nov-18 10:06:06

greengran what a great idea! I’m going to buy some felt and make one each for my grandchildren (too little to make their own yet, but something I will do with them on future christmases.)

Gma29 Sat 24-Nov-18 10:03:09

I don’t wear one (far too hot, especially as I’m the one cooking) but I do try to buy a top with a bit of sparkle, without it being specifically Christmassy. I like to be able to wear it again though, as I don’t like the waste of just wearing something once.

GreenGran78 Sat 24-Nov-18 09:49:39

If you don’t want to pay out for a fancy one that will be worn only for a few days, then discarded, why not decorate your own? Children, in particular, enjoy designing their own individual ‘look’. Just buy a plain jumper, and attach tinsel, baubles, elves.........whatever they choose. After Christmas they can be removed, and the jumper worn for everyday.