Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas jumpers - nice or naff?

(86 Posts)
petitpois Fri 23-Nov-18 15:22:24

Personally, I love mine. BUT I do try and buy second-hand where possible so I'm not creating extra waste. People tend to only wear them a few times so they're usually in excellent condition. Glitzier, sillier and more embarrassing the better - in my opinion. tchgrin

Seakay Mon 26-Nov-18 16:52:03

I like the Save the Children Day, but doubt if everyone wearing a jumper has donated. I also think that it would be better to give to money to Save the Children rather than buying a jumper to wear once or twice which then goes to charity or landfill

justwokeup Sun 25-Nov-18 21:12:45

Naff, tacky, horrible and cheap? Maybe, but they make me smile, as long as they don't have crude slogans. I have a couple of nice Scandinavian ones and some toned down ones, slightly sparkly or snowy. I even have a Fair Isle pattern cardigan with tiny reindeer on. We start wearing them from the first visit in early December to the outdoor Christmas market and they've been rotated for most of December for a few years. Most came from sales or charity shops but I try not to buy the sweat shop ones (not easy). We dress up Christmas Day but they come out again on Boxing Day. I also like Christmas bling in the home - bedding, toilet rolls, towels, as well as decorations! I bought Christmas bedding as I didn't have enough for visitors in the past but still use it years later. tchsmile

seacliff Sun 25-Nov-18 09:20:31

B9, I liked that top when I saw it online in asda, good to know it is nice in the flesh. I like the colours too.

seacliff Sun 25-Nov-18 09:18:08

I would like to buy a Christmassy light scarf, to make my existing tops look festive, and a more versatile option. So far no luck.

DanniRae Sun 25-Nov-18 08:29:55

Can't wait to wear mine. Do I have to wait until 1st December? confused

Overthehills Sat 24-Nov-18 19:11:36

My temperature gauge is far too unpredictable for a jumper of any kind! grin
Of course Christmas jumpers are naff but, as the vast majority on here seem to approve of them, I think I shall customise a tee shirt or lighter top. wink

notanan2 Sat 24-Nov-18 18:45:50

They dont all need to stretch over the boobs cool
You can get christmas jumpers with cut out holes for the boobies

Coolgran65 Sat 24-Nov-18 17:49:27

I have never owned a Christmas jumper and never will. I do wear read to be festive etc but a glittery Christmas jumper stretched across my ginormous booby assets would be a sight to fear.

Gonegirl Sat 24-Nov-18 16:29:15

I have been trawling the internet trying to find a nice Christmas cardi. Why does it have to be all jumpers?

B9exchange Sat 24-Nov-18 16:27:03

I can't bear the ones with words on, but I spotted this one in Asda direct.asda.com/george/women/jumpers-cardigans/blue-sequin-penguin-christmas-jumper/GEM653978,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M1G20C5 and couldn't resist it. I bought my first ever Christmas jumper last year and will alternate with this one, probably for the next 10 years or so. I put it on for the first time today, DH went into raptures (very unusual for him!) and everywhere I have gone I have received compliments, so very happy.

My Grandmother and my mother would have had a fit, but sadly they are no longer here. sad

annodomini Sat 24-Nov-18 15:46:36

I have several pairs of Christmas earrings, though not the flashing lights ones I gave DiL some time ago. When our creative writing group went to a care home to read our stories and poems to the residents, I wore some little battery powered lights in my hair - quite tasteful!

Craftycat Sat 24-Nov-18 15:19:09

The naffer the better. I have one with 2large Xmas puds strategically placed with the words 'Hands off my Puds'.
I also have a rather lovely soft grey one with mistletoe on which is very tasteful. Which one I wear depends who is going to see them.

Kim19 Sat 24-Nov-18 14:57:09

They make me smile so that's a plus. My bit of Christmas naff is the annual airing of a particular piece of bling.

Sparklefizz Sat 24-Nov-18 14:51:18

PS. I don't buy a new one every year tho .... just dig out the same old jumper.

Sparklefizz Sat 24-Nov-18 14:50:07

They're naff but supposed to be ironic ..... aren't they?? I notice that they became more popular after the first Bridget Jones movie when she and what'sisname wore them in a Christmas scene. I think they're fun and we all wear them for our art group Christmas lunch, complete with antlers on headbands and all sorts of rubbish stuff.

Just remembered .... what'sisname was Colin Firth (I think hmm )

Bathsheba Sat 24-Nov-18 14:43:57

Well said HurdyG I do sometimes wonder how very sombre some people's homes must be at Christmas - all very British, mustn't draw attention to ourselves tasteful, elegant and subdued ?

HurdyGurdy Sat 24-Nov-18 14:32:16

Totally naff, but I love them.

Lovely to add a bit of bling, sparkle, and fun to a dreary season.

Same with over-decorated houses. Naffer than a Naff Thing at a Naff Things' Reunion. But I absolutely love them. And am very grateful to those people who take the time to decorate their homes for our enjoyment. I used to love taking the kids out in the car to spot overdone houses - and now I can do the same for the grandchildren.

Lisaholder Sat 24-Nov-18 14:13:12

I have several Christmas t-shirts and 2 jumpers and I love mine and they are worn in the run up to Christmas where possible, the tackiest the better as I know it winds everyone up lol

Esmerelda Sat 24-Nov-18 13:51:22

I love a Christmas jumper. Go for it, but no need to buy a new one each year ... just get two and alternte them!

GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 12:43:33

MawBroon
I wrote onesie in my OP but yes, omitted it in the correction from 'one side'.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Best wishes
GabriellA

Doreen5 Sat 24-Nov-18 12:31:14

Bought mine 5 years ago and it's as good as new so will wear it again this year!

newnanny Sat 24-Nov-18 12:23:27

They look lovely on children and my gc wear them. My dd passes them from older dgs to younger dgs as very little worn then packed away until following year. I wear long sleeve cotton top in red with sparkly white star on the front. I bought this about six years ago at Cotton Trader and very comfy. Not too much bling and washed well.

lemongrove Sat 24-Nov-18 12:19:35

Most Christmas jumpers seem to be made from scratchy wool, I would be way too hot anyway in a jumper.
I don’t think the naff-ness factor matters, if you like them wear them.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 24-Nov-18 12:16:37

This is it (actually I can’t see the snowflake so I might have made that bit up! Sorry!)

asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/5057796187953?hei=560&qlt=85&fmt=pjpg&resmode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_George_rd

HootyMcOwlface Sat 24-Nov-18 12:13:17

I like a discrete one, but not the in your face type. Asda have a nice red/white one with a pattern of snowflakes and a robin around the neck, that I quite like.