Gransnet forums

Christmas

That "Hygge" feeling

(63 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 24-Nov-18 15:25:47

Anyone else got that "Hygge" feeling?
Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhuːɡə/ HOO-gə) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. ... The emphasis on hygge as a part of Danish culture is a recent phenomenon, dating to the late 20th century.

It's a wet and dreary day here but I'm indoors, curtains and blinds already drawn, lamps switched on, fleecy throw on my lap with cuddly purring cat curled up on top, and feeling cosy. I think this must be Hygge grin

oldbatty Sat 24-Nov-18 17:11:52

No, but I was delighted when the teacher said Yoga was continuing through the holidays. Hate to be indoors and hate " snuggling"

Grannyknot Sat 24-Nov-18 17:12:07

Sparklefizz I'm with you in spirit! I'm in my bed at 9 p.m. most nights with my tablet, a book, hot lemon drink and a look on my face that says "Do not disturb". It's my version of "hygge". smile

Gonegirl Sat 24-Nov-18 17:24:15

I like the "hygge" feeling.

allsortsofbags Sat 24-Nov-18 17:41:47

I would have loved to be getting into a place "Hygge" but we are on the last push of put renovations so it's been another DIY day.

However, I will be practicing "hygge" this evening and have "The Greatest Showman" DVD in case the TV is up to it's usual standard grin

Have a good evening folks

gillybob Sat 24-Nov-18 18:15:35

I love the “hygge” ( Danish art of Happiness) way . Warm comfy throws, candles , lots of wood, soft lighting, comforting food and music . Perfect for winter nights smile

SueDonim Sat 24-Nov-18 18:55:07

I've just lit the first fire of the season so it's Hygge here too, although I've got to go and clear out a large cupboard before tomorrow. Annoying!

gillybob Sat 24-Nov-18 18:57:48

Oh I’m so jealous SueDonim I would love a “real” fire ? but living in a house without a chimney I have to make don with a pretend fire and candles .

gillybob Sat 24-Nov-18 18:58:04

Do not don

SueDonim Sat 24-Nov-18 19:24:31

It is nice, Gilly, but also messy. We don't have mains gas and I'd love the convenience of being able to turn on a living flame fire!

The fire is just a nicety, really, as we have oil central heating. Although the open fire comes into its own if the boiler breaks down!

Scotland has its own hygge, called coorie. There's a book out about it. wordery.com/the-art-of-coorie-gabriella-bennett-9781785301810?currency=GBP>rck=OXFGMHNpUko3WEpMU1QzUDEwbk03NmoxWkd0MTJTNXhxV09xNzVCZm1pRnkzY2ZKc0RqcDhVbUx3UXBoVGRVa094Y3hEYkZzYzlLeFl0Q2l6TWxmV0E9PQ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycaU59_t3gIVjpPtCh2pPgWvEAQYASABEgJkrvD_BwE

merlotgran Sat 24-Nov-18 19:34:29

Millie definitely has the Hygge feeling.

Marthjolly1 Sat 24-Nov-18 19:37:21

I am definately a hygge type of person (after 4pm). I like to be outdoors during the day.
I'm now settled on sofa with gas fire flames flickering, comfort blanket, remains of glass of wine and DOH beside me. Am happy smile

gillybob Sat 24-Nov-18 19:40:27

Thank you for the link SueDonim I’m going to order it !

Yes the living flame fire is nice and convenient but it’s just not the same as a “real” fire with real logs and real coal smile

merlotgran Sat 24-Nov-18 19:44:05

And a real bill for the logs, gilly. grin

M0nica Sat 24-Nov-18 20:01:50

Do you mean that cosy feeling? We have very good word for the feeling, so good the French borrow it, so why use a foreign word.

SueDonim Sat 24-Nov-18 20:21:26

I will admit, Gilly, that when I'm in a house with a living flame fire I do have to restrain my tendency to chuck used tissues and other rubbish onto the coals/logs. blush

Coolgran65 Sat 24-Nov-18 23:49:26

My house has the definite cosy feel especially as my latest patchwork 'throw' and cushion cover was knitted by myself since last New Year. Only problem is that as I suffer from RLS (restless legs syndrome) 24/7 it is not easy to sit and relax with my cosy throw.

However my dgc race to see who gets to cuddle with granny's throw. They counted the coloured and patterned squares as the pile gradually got taller.

Willow500 Sun 25-Nov-18 06:40:17

I love that feeling too and always have candles on - both real and battery ones but really wish for a real or living flame gas fire - we used to have one but fashions dictated moving the old fireplace so now just have an electric thing on the wall. We were at my sons cottage yesterday and they'd lit their lovely real flame inset gas fires - it's quite dark in their house so with cosy lamps and candles it's beautiful.

Lilypops Sun 25-Nov-18 09:04:58

Coolgran , I too have Restless legs ,,worse in the evening when I am trying to relax under a throw whilst knitting/crocheting , it's driving me mad, i can't sit still and relax,

gillybob Sun 25-Nov-18 09:10:23

Hygge is so much more than “cosy” M0nica . It’s a way of feeling, behaving, cooking, decorating and so much more.

gillybob Sun 25-Nov-18 09:55:27

My favourite Hygge book

Nonnatimesfour Sun 25-Nov-18 10:31:08

Love cosy, all year round.

Fran0251 Sun 25-Nov-18 10:38:13

Are there any Danes out there who can explain better than me Hygge? For the Danes because in their winter there's usually no sun, it's grey and very cold, with snow lying. Movement out of doors can be impossible in the country, so being very cosy at home is a necessity with this special word attached to it. Still nice for us to follow this, but we do have winter weather significantly better than Denmark.

Thingmajig Sun 25-Nov-18 10:49:00

The Danish husband says hygge is really just being together with a partner/family/friends ... they are big on family gatherings on the weekends, in the parks with a picnic in summer at home with hot chocolate and aebleskiver in winter.
Both would be hygge! smile

lesley4357 Sun 25-Nov-18 10:54:22

Yes. As soon as it got cold I had the urge to go out and buy big fur cushions and teddy bears throws for the sofa and chairs