Gransnet forums

Christmas

That "Hygge" feeling

(64 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 24-Nov-18 15:25:47

Anyone else got that "Hygge" feeling?
Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhuːɡə/ HOO-gə) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. ... The emphasis on hygge as a part of Danish culture is a recent phenomenon, dating to the late 20th century.

It's a wet and dreary day here but I'm indoors, curtains and blinds already drawn, lamps switched on, fleecy throw on my lap with cuddly purring cat curled up on top, and feeling cosy. I think this must be Hygge grin

Flowerofthewest Sun 25-Nov-18 11:16:49

Snuggled with cats...Christmas cookies...candles watching Father Christmas Chronicles .

Rufus2 Sun 25-Nov-18 12:11:51

mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and
contentment
Hygge? Sounds like Danish for "Hangover", especially after a bottle or 3 of Shiraz! confused wine wine wine

sodapop Sun 25-Nov-18 12:18:24

Yes, chores done fire lit, dogs asleep on their beds and I have a new book to read whilst my husband watches the Grand Prix. Lovely hygge for me.

Willow10 Sun 25-Nov-18 12:20:29

Hygge for me was last night - curtains closed, log burner (fake) on, candles lit, pyjamas on, fleece throw over lap, cat around my neck, coffee flavoured Bailey's in hand - and Strictly on tv! grin

Bookreader2403 Sun 25-Nov-18 12:24:46

I love Hygge. I think its simple premise of making the most of what you have and finding enjoyment in the simple things in life a really good way of living.

Noname Sun 25-Nov-18 12:24:59

We had mulled wine for the first time last night. Does that count? ?

GabriellaG Sun 25-Nov-18 12:35:37

Hygge later. Cleaning windows first. smile

EllanVannin Sun 25-Nov-18 12:50:57

I could do with practicing Hygge now that the beautiful sunny morning has turned into cloud and a darkness which will descend in about an hour with lights-on. Phooey.

SueDonim Sun 25-Nov-18 13:03:32

My hygge didn't go too well last night. I'd bought some 'eco-friendly logs' made from used coffee grounds. I threw one on the fire and the smell, far from being delightfully coffee-ish, rendered us all stinking like well-cooked kippers by bedtime! grin grin

Juliet27 Sun 25-Nov-18 13:21:27

Grannyknot I'm glad to hear someone else is in bed by 9 pm. That's me too, iPad, book and dog curled up at my feet...also under the covers.

Sheilasue Sun 25-Nov-18 13:22:32

well blinds are down in our house as soon as it is dark.
Cat snuggling on throw. H and I watching tv or I am on my iPad. Gd in her room on her phone or laptop.
Always the same every winter evening. Has been for yonks so don’t need to hygge.

Telly Sun 25-Nov-18 13:23:40

Not at the moment, have just been in the garden collecting leaves, in between throwing the ball for the dog! Could do with some though, had to come in and get my hat as it was a bit breezy.

win Sun 25-Nov-18 13:54:33

The Danish husband is so right the way he explains it, but there is so much more a room without anyone in it, can have hygge created. You can be with on friend in a certain place, having mulled wine and æbleskiver (Danish pancakes) and feel the hygge or it is hyggeligt AS We say in Danish. So yes hygge is how you feel more than anything else and it is very individual as we don't all feel the same at the same occasion. I was born and bread in Denmark but moved to England when I was 18 I still go home and feel the hygge with my lovely family. You have to be totally chilled to feel hygge in my opinion

Barmeyoldbat Sun 25-Nov-18 13:58:36

I only higgle in the evenings, snuggled up on the sofa, fire lit, husband reading and me, well I am attempting to knit a pair of socks on four needles after attending a Saturday class. \Rest of the time like to be outdoors whatever the weather doing something.

Nanny41 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:09:24

I dont have the "Hygge" feeling, I live in Sweden and we have it "Mysigt" instead, almost the same, cosy.Its minus 4 degrees here today so I am indoors with candles, the log burner in action, and it really is Mysigt!

merlotgran Sun 25-Nov-18 14:14:20

Sampling the first glass of our home made cider. Most of it will be left to 'condition' for another few months but couldn't resist a small tipple!

I don't know if it's hygge but it's giving me a warm glow grin

labazs1964 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:31:37

always have a throw candles and my partner if we arent home sitting. im not in bed by 9 im in bed by 8 if im busy and forget the time partner always cheekily says up late tonite love burning the midnight oil and thats at 8.15! i like to snuggle up with my library book and my dogs as i need more sleep than my partner so by time he comes to bed at 10ish ill have read for about an hour and got an hours advance sleep

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:34:04

Being bilingual, English-Danish, I agree entirely, Monica. I have never been able to see that an activity designated as "cosy" in English is not exactly the same as anything called "hyggelig" in Danish. (But people who only speak Danish, don't agree on this point.)

Both the adjective "hyggelig" and the noun "hygge" do have a wider semantic field than "cosiness" as you can use them to describe people, which of course would be quite impossible in English with the word cosy. If you describe a person in Danish as " en hyggelig person" you are faced when translating into English with deciding whether hyggelig here corresponds to "nice", "easy-going" "easy to get on with", or less aptly, "pleasant" a word for which we have a direct translation in Danish and don't need hyggelig, although the modern tendency seems to be to replace both pleasant (rar) and likeable (elskværdig) with hyggelig.

etheltbags1 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:36:36

My throws are out all year. I too like to be curled up by 8 o clock. After working outside all day no one is getting me out of the sofa at night so yes i like the hgge feeling. I was in norway in the spring this year and saw no mention of this nor any books

Kim19 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:47:02

SD I've just ordered 'your' Coorie book. Thanks for the tip. Wish you could earn sales commission!

HillyN Sun 25-Nov-18 14:56:38

I have a lovely multiwick WoodWick candle that we were given last Christmas. As well as smelling gorgeous it flickers and crackles just like a real fire. Drawing the curtains, lighting that candle, filling a glass with something alcoholic and snuggling under my furry throw definitely gives me that hygge feeling. Or maybe hibernation.

Sparklefizz Sun 25-Nov-18 15:22:34

Thank you to everyone who has posted up enlightening info re Hygge, Coorie and Mysigt smile

Just off to snuggle under my furry throw with the cat (again), a cup of tea, yesterday's crossword, a good book and the prospect of the Strictly results later on. (Are we allowed to say "Happy Hygge" or does that not make sense? )

GabriellaG Sun 25-Nov-18 15:32:28

I'm struggling to understand why everyone (with few exceptions) seems to need a throw or multiple throws as well as having their fire lit and candles burning...plus animals on their feet (in the bedroom? shock) or round their neck.
It seems like overkill or else very badly insulated houses.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Nov-18 15:34:25

We have a Danish DIL and a Swedish best friend, have been embracing “hygge” and “Mysigt” for years.

I have, according to H a candle, cushion and throw obsession!!!

I think it is about a welcoming warm atmosphere where you feel comfortable as do visitors.

merlotgran Sun 25-Nov-18 15:44:00

I have to say I CBA with candles unless I'm trying to impress visitors. The throw is on the bed and stays there. We do have a throw on the sofa but that's because the dogs, not me, like to wrap themselves up in it!

The enormous 12K woodburner is our main source of heat so is lit every day in the winter. Not sure about hygge but it does make the room very cosy.

As for buying a book about it. confused