Gransnet forums

Christmas

That "Hygge" feeling

(64 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 24-Nov-18 15:25:47

Anyone else got that "Hygge" feeling?
Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhuːɡə/ HOO-gə) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. ... The emphasis on hygge as a part of Danish culture is a recent phenomenon, dating to the late 20th century.

It's a wet and dreary day here but I'm indoors, curtains and blinds already drawn, lamps switched on, fleecy throw on my lap with cuddly purring cat curled up on top, and feeling cosy. I think this must be Hygge grin

Sparklefizz Sun 25-Nov-18 15:58:24

Gabriella Actually a throw is very economical - why heat a whole house up when you can just heat the person? I have full insulation and my house is not draughty, but I can turn the heating down a couple of degrees, and do a Hygge snuggle instead. It's actually very comforting. There's probably an emotional or psychological reason for that but who cares? What's not to like?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 25-Nov-18 16:40:27

I like the idea of hygge, being cosy but am not so keen on a real fire. I remember my mum on her knees (on a little mat in the middle of the lino) putting those little wooden sticks and bits of screwed-up newspaper on the Rayburn - it didn't look like fun.
I've got an electric fire pretending to be the real thing but to complete the look I need a swanky mantelpiece.

Nanoo15 Sun 25-Nov-18 16:45:42

Thank you all so much for this thread. After reading I have now turned the heating up a notch, lit a candle, got a You Tube of a log fire crackling away on the tv, just need the wine now.....

Cherrytree59 Sun 25-Nov-18 17:18:20

During the winter in my grandmothers home we would Coorie doon (Scots)

I suppose that is the same as Scandinavian Hygge.

SueDonim Sun 25-Nov-18 17:27:13

Grandetante does the Scots word couthie equate to the word hygge when applied to a person? www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/couthie

Kim19, I've missed my vocation, I should have been a bookseller! grin

Beigecardigqns I like making up the fire, there's a certain satisfaction to getting it going. It wouldn't be so much fun if it was the only heat source we had, though.

Mollyplop Sun 25-Nov-18 17:28:38

Been out rid8ng my pony for 3 hours today, now snuggled under a throw on the sofa. Bliss

Nanna58 Sun 25-Nov-18 18:15:08

Hugge can pass me by, hate the winter, it’s a head down and just get through it job for me. Roll on Spring!

glammagran Sun 25-Nov-18 20:34:38

Agree Sparklefizz. We turn off household heating during the evening and turn on gas fire. Occasionally I’ll use a fleecy blanket which is quite cosy and have a glass —or two— of wine. However summer still wins by a long mile

glammagran Sun 25-Nov-18 20:40:55

Strikeout didn’t work for me

Sparklefizz Mon 26-Nov-18 06:52:52

Nanna58 and glammagran I don't like the winter either but Hygge makes it bearable. No point in fighting it.

GabriellaG Tue 27-Nov-18 09:44:31

I spent time in N. Yorks each winter for several years (decades ago) and it was magical. Virgin snow in the castle grounds, guitar players strumming by the roaring pub fire (where I was staying) horses hooves ringing on the cobbles in the still, frosty, morning air, blowing puffs of warm breath from their nostrils like dragons breathing fire.
Walking home at 3am and a lone male coming the opposite way, tipping his cap and wishing me well.
Wonderful magical memories of a beautiful place, time and people. That was one example of Hygge to me. grin

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Nov-18 10:01:26

You paint a magical scene, GabriellaG

Sparklefizz Wed 28-Nov-18 08:21:52

Well, I felt really guilty last night while watching the documentary about the Yorkshire shepherdess and her family of 9 children, farming in remote Yorkshire with 1,000 sheep during last winter's "Beast from the East". There they were, husband, wife and all the kids in the snow battling the conditions, and there was me, lying on the sofa under my furry throw and furry cat, following Hygge!! I know who and where I'd rather be grin