Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas holidays

(89 Posts)
amt101 Thu 11-Jul-19 12:12:52

Hello everyone. I have a problem and hope you will give me ideas.
My elder daughter has booked a skiing complex over Christmas and wants me to go. She will be going with her 3 children and my other daughter will be going with her 7 year old daughter and her husband.
My younger daughter is unable to ski due to an health problem but her daughter wants to learn.
The thing is, I don’t want to go. I don’t ski, never liked slippery stuff under my feet. I’m happy to stay at home. Doesn’t worry me being on my own.
My younger daughter will be left in the complex while they all go skiing so I feel guilty about not wanting to go.
Salzburg is an hours drive away so it’s not as though we can pop anywhere.
Please can you let me have some thoughts on this problem.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Jul-19 12:19:30

amt101 big ski resorts cater for non-skiers also. At Christmas it will be decorated beautifully.

Buy some sturdy boots, but I have found that the pavements are usually cleared of snow especially in Austria.
It will be lovely to make memories with your children and grandchildren, go and enjoy yourself.

Sara65 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:25:52

I’m not sure I’d want to go to be honest, it’s never appealed to me, I’d be much happier at home in front of the fire, with a good book and a large G&T

Pantglas1 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:38:53

Yes I’d take your option Sara65.

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 13:39:27

I would go partly because I think a snowy Christmas with Glühwein and Lebkuchen and Strudel and all that après ski malarkey would be magical and partly to keep your D company.
A couple of good books , being together as a family BUT no responsibility for Christmas Dinner and strains of Stille Nacht - what’s not to like?

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:43:57

I do not like snow, ice or cold weather so I also would prefer to stay in my own home doing my own thing and being comfortable.

When I read the post the first thing that came to my mind was there was a free babysitter for a few children!

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:44:00

I am with you Maw!

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 13:44:30

I bought DD sturdy snow boots when she worked there and they came home unworn because all the pavements were kept clear.
There are other things going on besides ski-ing and it could be fun to spend Christmas there.
In fact, quite magical!

MissAdventure Thu 11-Jul-19 13:51:34

Don't go if you don't want to.
It really is that simple.

Ellianne Thu 11-Jul-19 13:56:38

In some ways you might enjoy the atmosphere of a ski resort at Christmas, lots of festive food and pretty scenery. My worry would be that I would end up child minding when they weren't skiing and even catering if you're in a chalet. If it's really to keep your younger daughter company, could you pass some of the time in cafés and shopping, but also allow gor some free time on your own to read or snooze?

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 14:46:51

Shall we book it now Dragonfly? ? grin

Lessismore Thu 11-Jul-19 14:49:55

I'm afraid OP, you have answered your own question. You don't want to go.

It's a long time till December, if it's going to worry you.

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Jul-19 16:27:59

Please can I come too, maw and dragonfly?

Grannybags Thu 11-Jul-19 16:35:23

I don't like Christmas but I would go to make memories with my family.

As Maw says what's not to like?!

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 17:08:33

How about an upgraded “meet-up” in the Austrian Alps (or French or Swiss, I’m not fussy) for Christmas. We could get Jura to find us somewhere nice and could après all day without the skiing part! grin ?

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 17:13:35

It sounds good!
No snowboarding either, thanks

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 17:25:21

Good grief no!
And any snowballs have to be of the sort served in a cocktail glass ,?

tessagee Thu 11-Jul-19 17:26:47

How nice that they want you to join them. I think you should give it a try this once. If you don't enjoy the experience you can always do something else next year. Being entirely alone during the whole of the Christmas period can be very depressing and makes January seem endless.

midgey Thu 11-Jul-19 17:35:26

Afraid I think you are honour bound to join in the jollifications. You might even enjoy yourself!

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Jul-19 18:22:54

I tend to work on the basis of accepting all invitations, as sometimes the things we don’t really fancy turn out to be the ones we enjoy most. smile This one, though, sounds like great fun to me, so long as actual skiing isn’t involved (the only time I tried that I kept falling over and having to drag myself up by way of the instructor’s leg....).

Minniemoo Thu 11-Jul-19 18:27:09

I'd say no. Thank you but no thank you.

Calendargirl Thu 11-Jul-19 18:33:07

I can see both sides to this, but feel we grannies often end up doing things we don’t really want to, to keep everyone happy, and sometimes wonder if our offspring would be so accommodating if the boot were on the other foot.

CanadianGran Thu 11-Jul-19 18:39:35

Do you usually spend Christmas with them? This could be a break from the usual and very relaxing. You would get a lot of quality time with your younger daughter.

But if it really doesn't appeal, and it would cost you to go, then wish them Happy Christmas and put the money towards a different sort of holiday.

Blinko Thu 11-Jul-19 19:22:59

I'd go for the apres ski. But nothing on earth would persuade me to attempt skiing. My sister tried a couple of years ago and spend most of the holiday with a wet bum from sitting in deep snow. Not ideal.

sodapop Thu 11-Jul-19 19:44:46

I would go and enjoy Christmas with your family, you don't have to stay for the whole holiday if you don't want to. Four days should be a nice break or thereabouts. I agree with Maw and others it would be quite magical.