Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas holidays

(90 Posts)
amt101 Thu 11-Jul-19 12:12:52

Hello everyone. I have a problem and hope you will give me ideas.
My elder daughter has booked a skiing complex over Christmas and wants me to go. She will be going with her 3 children and my other daughter will be going with her 7 year old daughter and her husband.
My younger daughter is unable to ski due to an health problem but her daughter wants to learn.
The thing is, I don’t want to go. I don’t ski, never liked slippery stuff under my feet. I’m happy to stay at home. Doesn’t worry me being on my own.
My younger daughter will be left in the complex while they all go skiing so I feel guilty about not wanting to go.
Salzburg is an hours drive away so it’s not as though we can pop anywhere.
Please can you let me have some thoughts on this problem.

annodomini Fri 12-Jul-19 15:38:49

When DS and his then girlfriend were managing different ski hotels in Verbier, they managed to get me a room in hers and I ate in his. They somehow got me a lift pass too. I didn't even think about skiing - Heaven forbid! But the free local bus service took me round about the town and the lift pass took me to the top of the piste so that I could watch them skiing while I warmed up with hot chocolate. I put on my walking boots and enjoyed a stroll in a neighbouring valley. It was an unforgettable week when I also clearly saw the Comet Hale-Bopp in that wonderful cloudless Alpine sky.
OP don't dismiss the idea out of hand, but find out what you can do in the resort while the rest of the family go skiing.

PamGeo Fri 12-Jul-19 15:56:23

I'd go like a shot, despite not skiing or snowboarding, despite mobility problems myself ... I'd still go in a heartbeat. Go, say yes and build up a bit of excitement for some quality family time.
The children will be exhausted and sleep well so even if you do get a bit of babysitting duties it won't be difficult.
There's plenty of other things to do apart from skiing and your youngest daughter will probably be fine left to her own devices when you want to go off on your own.
Regret what you don't do comes to mind Amt101 you'll only get the 2Ronnies and Only Fools and Horses with a little bit of Bruce Willis defying the odds if you stay in the UK for Christmas

sarahanew Fri 12-Jul-19 16:41:50

Who's paying for you? If they're expecting you to pay and you don't want to go then explain your genuine reasons for not going. If they're offering to pay for you, take the opportunity to go. Keep your younger daughter company, take books, magazines or other things you like to do during the day. Enjoy yourself, meet new people... Do they have a spa or swimming pool on the complex?

BazingaGranny Fri 12-Jul-19 17:40:36

I personally would go. Your three daughters will be there, with your grandchildren. What a wonderful time to make memories!

We have been invited to a sunny Christmas abroad this year with our adult children and grandchildren in a ‘child friendly’ hotel. Suspect it will be more ‘bucket and spade’ than we would necessarily choose, but we will have fun and memories with our four young grandchildren which will be marvellous. I suspect that when they are teenagers, that they may not want us to come with them on holiday ... and we might be to immobile by then to want to go!

Go and enjoy the apres ski, the presque ski, their skiing stories and the shared memories! Take a good book or several to read while they are out and have a lovely time. ?✅ ?

CarlyD7 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:01:25

This happened to a friend of mine - although with one of her daughters (and her 2 children) and 2 other couples (friends of their who also had children). My friend was really excited and touched about being included but it turned out that she'd been invited along to do lots of babysitting! You never know, your invitation may be the same?

Cherrytree59 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:36:33

My sister accompanied a couple of friends who went for the ski slopes.
My sister is a non skier had no wish to learn.
She had such a good time that she went again the following year.
She said the transport to Salzburg and surrounding areas was great.
I'm sure there will be sleigh rides and as others have said it will Christmas personified.

It would be as shame to leave your daughter on her own whilst others are off enjoying themselves.
Especially as there will be lovely comfy sofas in front of a roaring fire where you will be able to snuggle up with a glass of something warming and a good book.

I'm quite envy

Witzend Sat 13-Jul-19 09:48:14

Many years ago we went skiing (1st time) at Christmas, with dds then about 9 and 12, a friend of dd1, and both my mother and my FiL, both of whom had been widowed during the previous couple of years.

We were in a pretty Austrian village, and I do honestly think they joyed themselves very much, although there was never any question of either of them skiing. They explored the village together, enjoyed treating themselves in cafes or just relaxing in the hotel lounge, and would sometimes take themselves up the mountain in the cable car, , to enjoy the views.
Will there be someone you could do similar with, just pottering about, relaxing, and enjoy evenings with the skiers?

Witzend Sat 13-Jul-19 09:49:02

'enjoyed', obviously!

Buntybunny21 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:57:10

GO GO It is beautiful in winter,, having lived in Switzerland. You can go for walks all marked and safe. The air is clear higher up, take a gondola ride, sit and have a drink and admire the scenery. You are so lucky to have a good family to invite you, not as a cheap babysitter though!! Good luck

Woolleycat Sun 14-Jul-19 13:37:04

What’s not to like???????? All of it!! Cold, snow, ice ........ don’t go, simple

discodiva Mon 15-Jul-19 12:08:16

Go. Christmas in the Alps is lovely and you'll have a great time. Life's too short not to experience a great time with the family. It will be a lovely memory for your daughter's and grandkids too. You'd be surprised what you can do - it isn't all about skiing. My aunt (aged 77) came with me when my DH and went on our 1st skiing holiday in 1989 with our my daughter (age 4). We had a blast because she went on walks and met some lovely people and then regaled us with her antics. She was quite a character. You'll sleep like a dream too.

Francis Sat 24-Aug-19 11:51:04

I would go and enjoy spending time with the family at Christmas, you don't have to ski. I also agree with Maw it would be very magical.

LeylaSanders Wed 13-Nov-19 09:10:41

Yes I’d take your option Sodapop

jura2 Wed 13-Nov-19 09:22:34

Maw ''We could get Jura to find us somewhere nice and could après all day without the skiing part! grin ?''

well yes, I could. We love going to ski + spa resorts - so those who don't ski or snowboard can enjoy the spa- and those who do can soak away the aches and pains at the end of the day. But as it is all booked- too late for this time.

I mean, of course say no if you don't want to go- but you would so be missing out. Get elasticated crampons for under you boots- and relax and enjoy. Do you know the name of the resort? You could find a transfer my bus or taxi or train to take you and daughter to Salzburg- perhaps even stay a night there.

As said, say no if you wish, but what a magical missed opportunity.