Gransnet forums

Christmas

sister's gift

(36 Posts)
Ginny42 Thu 24-Oct-19 20:07:11

I'm buying a pig for my sister. Not actually for her you understand. She won't have a pig sty in the garden. A family somewhere will get a pig in her name and she'll be happy with that.

In the past I've bought goats and school equipment in the names of family members. The gift which has brought the most pleasure has to be the puppy for the blind I sponsored for my DGS. He became very attached her over the past two years, as she matured and he followed her progress with 'pupdates'. It's now matched to a person, so this year I will sponsor another one.

MissAdventure Thu 24-Oct-19 19:56:17

www.sendacow.org/

Something like this, perhaps?

Witzend Thu 24-Oct-19 19:54:13

Just a suggestion - a dd once gave me a 3 month sub to Bloom and Wild - flowers once a month. They come beautifully packed in a box that will go through the letterbox.

Pantglas2 Thu 24-Oct-19 19:50:58

We’re not rolling in it but have said for a long time ‘send us a card and spend it on your children/grandchildren’ or donate it to a good cause/food bank.

MissAdventure Thu 24-Oct-19 19:50:11

The only thing you can buy people who have everything is nothing.

MamaCaz Thu 24-Oct-19 19:45:39

If people have everything they want and need, plus no shortage of money, I really dont see why they would either want or expect gifts, or why anyone with less money then them would feel compelled to buy for them. It seems almost immoral to me!

Hetty58 Thu 24-Oct-19 19:22:23

Get them on Elfster online gift idea exchange. At least they can indicate what they'd like. The adults in our family only do a £20 gift for one other (Secret Santa) these days as our family has grown very large! We have a tradition of taking luxury food or drink to any gathering, too.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Oct-19 19:14:28

Hotel Chocolate gift box

BradfordLass72 Thu 24-Oct-19 19:08:58

Magazine subscription? Gift vouchers for nearby shops?

Illustrated books? What we used to call coffee table books about something they are interested in: gardening, scenic Britain, castles, roses, cats...the list is endless as, in my opinion, is the enjoyment of looking at beautiful photographs of something you love.

Better than pyjamas anyway grin

M0nica Thu 24-Oct-19 18:59:17

When my sister and Dh got like that we just agreed not to give presents to each other anymore.

For the rest of the family (DH, DD and DS & family). I expect them to send me lists of things they would like to receive for all of us to choose from or not if any of us have a better idea.

sandye Thu 24-Oct-19 18:54:18

What can I get my sister and her husband? any ideas? I normally spend 20-30 pounds each. They have everything and money enough to buy whatever, I have stuck with PJ's in the past but would like something different. Nether drive so nothing for a car. I'm just at a loss, they don't drink ether.