Gransnet forums

Christmas

Which charities to give to?

(42 Posts)
Poppyred Tue 10-Dec-19 17:17:52

Been inundated with requests to give to charity? Just can’t make my mind up this year....

I usually choose two..... there are so many in need.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 17:23:01

Children and dogs.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 17:23:50

You can miss out the water-melon wine.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 10-Dec-19 17:27:15

Those on the streets.

QuaintIrene Tue 10-Dec-19 17:28:15

I put some bits in the food bank box at the supermarket. Also the animal rescue box. Dogs trust get some money if I am flush because they were very kind to me once. DH gave to the Salvation Army, but they do pester afterwards.
It’s just not possible to give to everyone you would like to.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 17:32:51

in case anyone didn't know what I meant

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 17:34:00

I used to think the grey haired man doing the talking was old. He was 65.

lilydily9 Tue 10-Dec-19 17:35:45

Sense, the charity for deaf blind children and adults.

Judy54 Tue 10-Dec-19 17:40:47

My choice is smaller local charities they don't have the income of large charities whose Chief Executives are often on huge salaries.

eazybee Tue 10-Dec-19 17:41:10

Salvation Army; they go in where others won't.

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 17:46:57

Local charities come first, followed by the RNLI

mcem Tue 10-Dec-19 17:53:06

Making a little go a long way and with minimal admin/staff costs - Mary's Meals. £13.20 will feed a child for a year in various parts of the world (currently over 1.5 million daily). Set a place at the virtual table at the website. (Monthly direct debit also wecome).
I know several GN posters support this charity.

Carillion01 Tue 10-Dec-19 17:56:11

Salvation Army and Macmillans

Gonegirl, Tom T Hall's song is so gentle...old dogs and children...but I'd chance the watermelon wine, could do with a taste just now

SalsaQueen Tue 10-Dec-19 18:01:15

I give to a few charities, but only for animals and children.

Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 18:22:37

, BBC appeal for St.Martins in the field

and Salvation Srmy

EllaKeat Tue 10-Dec-19 18:25:45

Salvation Army.
I do not have a religious bone in my body, but my admiration for what the Salvation Army does knows no bounds. They are incredible.

I also donate my time to an animal charity all year round, with a small financial boost at Christmas.

Doodle Tue 10-Dec-19 18:31:54

Crisis because they do more than provide a bed for the night.
Salvation Army
Children

wildswan16 Tue 10-Dec-19 18:43:49

Mary's Meals and RNLI specifically at Christmas.

A few others have regular direct debits the rest of the year.

Every charity can pull at your heart but we must just choose wisely and help where we can.

Thorntrees Tue 10-Dec-19 18:52:17

The British Heart Foundation, our eldest daughter has a serious heart condition and their research and support means a lot to us. Also the Somerville foundation who help adults with congenital heart disease
Usually send a donation to a cancer charity in memory of both sets of late parents.
It is hard to decide who to support,so many deserving causes both at home and abroad.

kittylester Tue 10-Dec-19 19:02:55

Headway were absolutely fabulous when our 35 year old son had a major stroke. They helped him so much that he now lives independently and, although he wont work again, he does loads of voluntary work and has written a book.

grannyactivist Tue 10-Dec-19 19:04:02

At Christmas my small charity occasionally receives donations from people who are happy to hand over their winter fuel allowance or send us an annual cheque. We don't actually need much money because no-one is paid and we use our donations very wisely. What does gladden my heart is when someone contacts me and says they would like to pay for, or donate, a Christmas gift for our current or past clients (we provide a support group in order to continue to work with those we've housed). We don't feel it's right to use our regular donations for 'extras', so I'm always happy when I can pass on a gift and our clients are genuinely really touched and thankful.

grannyactivist Tue 10-Dec-19 19:08:18

Not everyone has much in the way of disposable income and may feel bad about not being able to give to charities at Christmas (or any other time). So, if you're one of those people who are reading this can I just say that acts of kindness and voluntary work are valuable gifts in their own right, so anything you do from a kind heart is more than equal to a monetary gift.

EllaKeat Tue 10-Dec-19 19:26:28

grannyactivist I totally agree.

The Salvation Army do get a gandsome donation every year, but simply because all of the adults in the family donate their Christmas gift!
I started the trend a few years ago when, having been asked what I wajted for christmas gift, I asked for a donation to the SA.
We all do it now.
I also volunteer every week for an animal charity. Come sun or rain, I am there every week to help. There will be a donation at Christmas, but a smaller one.

I went for years having little disposable income and never donated to charity. I did not, and never will feel guilty for that.

For anyone on GN living frugally, giving money to a charity is not necessary, or admirable.

It is the act of those who can simply afford it.

Nothing to fret about ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 10-Dec-19 19:26:48

Small local charities, local hospice and local food bank.

EllaKeat Tue 10-Dec-19 19:27:13

Sorry for the typos