Gransnet forums

Christmas

Which charities to give to?

(43 Posts)
Poppyred Tue 10-Dec-19 17:17:52

Been inundated with requests to give to charity? Just can’t make my mind up this year....

I usually choose two..... there are so many in need.

Nortsat46 Tue 10-Dec-19 20:13:43

Pay roll giving monthly to Water Aid, which is a national charity proving clean water projects, in the developing world.
Amazon Smile to the Celia Hammond Animal Trust, which is a local cat charity.

Ellianne Tue 10-Dec-19 20:33:30

Donkey sanctuary and local hospice. My husband sings in many charity concerts for free over Christmas, so he does his bit too.

Humbertbear Tue 10-Dec-19 20:38:40

I give to Crisis and Salvation Army at this time of year. Not a lot, but what I can. My daughter does a charity swim for Aspire (spinal injuries) every year so we all sponsor her.

LadyGracie Tue 10-Dec-19 22:10:06

Salvation Army and a couple of those without a grossly overpaid CE.

JessK Tue 10-Dec-19 22:27:21

A local hospice that does wonderful work for the community.

Callistemon Tue 10-Dec-19 22:34:35

If you buy charity cards from actual charities, not supermarket charity cards, you can help more than just one or two.

And, if you can afford it, the food bank, Salvation Army.

Your local Women's refuge may welcome Christmas food before Christmas and nice toiletries afterwards if you receive unwanted gifts.

H1954 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:39:55

I volunteer on a weekly basis for two separate charities, I donate to Alzheimer's UK every month, regularly buy charity raffle tickets, cook for a sick neighbour and have a lonely neighbour for Christmas dinner very year. All that, along with knitting for the local special care baby unit, takes up pretty much all of my time and a considerable amount of resources. I don't have a lot of disposable income but I do have time on my hands.

Callistemon Tue 10-Dec-19 22:44:54

Oh yes, the raffle tickets
Whenever you go to a social event, you can't walk past the person with an expectant smile and books of tickets smile
All in a good cause!

Poppyred Tue 10-Dec-19 23:00:35

Are there any children’s charities without a grossly overpaid CE?

mcem Tue 10-Dec-19 23:02:42

Yes. Mary's Meals.

Scribbles Tue 10-Dec-19 23:09:47

Lincs & Mitts Air Ambulance plus LIVES, the Lincolnshire First Responders and a cat rescue I've been involved with for many years.

Scribbles Tue 10-Dec-19 23:11:12

Mitts? That's Notts, you wretched predictive thingy... Bah!

Poppyred Fri 13-Dec-19 12:01:40

Decided on Salvation Army and Action for Children ....so many needy causes, wish I had more money to spare.....

Cherrytree59 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:02:31

Local charities

geekesse Fri 13-Dec-19 12:12:15

Can I mention the Spinal Injuries Association? They do fabulous work.

KatyK Fri 13-Dec-19 12:26:00

Our local Acorns childrens hospice is in danger of closing as they are struggling for funds. We are trying to help as much as we can. We have a small direct debit set up and will donate what we can at Christmas.

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:41:53

Amazon Smile for the Macular Society

d/ds for London air ambulance and Battersea

Donations to my local Cat Protection League which has no highly paid CEOs (locally). There is a more local branch opening soon so if possible I will donate my time.