Gransnet forums

Christmas

The angst of Christmas

(79 Posts)
MawB Fri 13-Dec-19 18:12:19

Glancing through the various threads I am horrified at the pitfalls of Christmas.
Never mind whether or not you invite Great Auntie Maude and the in-laws or that it is “their turn “ to host, now you have to worry about
Norfolk Bronze/Tesco Value/vegan nut roast
Proper roasties or Aunt Bessie’s
Gluten free Christmas pud or will just organic do
The smoked salmon starter - is it Wild salmon, moderately annoyed salmon, farmed salmon (how do the dogs herd them up) or do I give up and do prawn cocktail?
Christmas wrapping paper- a no-no, use reusable cloth bags, but bear in mind Amazon’s tax history when you realise they are the only people still stocking them
Christmas cards or e-cards or emails or none of the above (do nowt and pretend you are donating to charity)
Crackers? OMG no, more plastic tat!
Presents - more charity shop tat which will go straight back, secret santa or Tiffany’s?
Don’t drink and drive of course, but think of the environment and don’t drive at all. Take the train, natch! Platform 7 at Crewe junction is a brilliant place to spend Christmas - think “Brief Encounter.
While you are at it, should you or your children risk going to strange doorsteps , collecting boxes at the ready and hope for a donation in exchange for two lines of We Wish You a Merry Christmas or do you make the poor suckers stand out in the cold for all 19 verses of In Dulce Jubilo (with descant)
So Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays because of course we don’t want to offend anybody by letting Christ into Christmas, do we? ? ?

agnurse Sun 15-Dec-19 05:40:13

M0nica

Don't get me started on that smoked wild salmon. As I said before, you have to watch the wild stuff. It probably smoked some marijuana and now it's high as well as wild.

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:00:53

Probably because it's trying to hold back all that wild salmon....

M0nica Sun 15-Dec-19 11:02:02

Actually, salmon of any kind is off the menu in our house at Christmas as DGD is allergic to it. However we will feast on it the couple of days before she arrives and after she has left.

Now Maw has put it in my mind, I wonder if she would eat kipper?