Gransnet forums

Christmas

Resisting temptation!

(61 Posts)
phoenix Mon 23-Dec-19 15:57:16

Hello all, and good wishes.

Well, as ever Mr P has done all his shopping via Amazon. Not sure what lies in store, as there were only 2 items (well, 3 if you count the very expensive household gadget I added as a joke) on the wish list that I shared with him. tchsmile

So, there were about 5 items stacked up, still in the Amazon packaging, on the large chest of drawers in the hall.

Today is our recycling collection day, so yesterday I asked him to "de cardboard" as much as possible, so that I could put it out in time.

The items are now in a carrier bag, still in the hall, but with the handles tied together.

I have no idea what they might be, apart from one where the packaging was a bit loose, and I happened to dislodge it while dusting, tchblush and as I picked it up from the floor, noticed it contained a knife sharpener tchconfused I will try to look suitably pleased when I open it tchwink

The gifts I have bought for him are hidden away and will remain so until I wrap them tomorrow (while he is at work) and put them under the tree.

I'm being very good, haven't even had a squeeze or a shake, but bearing in mind previous Christmas offerings have included a digital air compressor for inflating car tyres, and a (albeit beautifully wrapped) toilet seat, I'm bracing myself! tchgrin

ninathenana Tue 24-Dec-19 06:25:53

I know I have a new Kindle and foam rest thing for when I'm using it in bed. I have no idea what the other two quite bulky packages are that DH has wrapped and left beside his wardrobe.
phoenix having seen the knife sharpener I would easily resist further peeking for fear of more disappointment tchsmile

Luckygirl Tue 24-Dec-19 09:44:55

I will not get one from OH this year - he is a bit away with the fairies in his NH.

But one year he placed a huge box on the end of the bed and said "Here you are - I bought this to increase our pleasure in bed!" Blow-up man maybe, I speculated???!!

No - it was a large old-fashioned Teasmaid!

Nannyme Tue 24-Dec-19 10:07:01

My OH orders from Amazon too, but he forgets that we share an account so I can see what he has ordered. I wasn’t happy with his choice and as it hadn’t been dispatched I dropped a dirty great big hint about what I would like and for once it worked, I’m feeling ever so slightly guilty but at least I can look suitably happy with his choice, and yes Santa I have been a naughty girl ! Merry Christmas everyone

Daddima Tue 24-Dec-19 10:07:21

Phoenix, I was thinking kind of along the same lines as Cornergran!

“ Oh lovely, I can’t wait to try it!”

A small flesh wound to the buttock ( his, not yours) should suffice.

marpau Tue 24-Dec-19 10:15:06

Well 43 years together and I won't get one. He proudly boasts he doesn't buy presents however he loves to receive them and has a hissy fit if anyone in the family doesn't buy him one!

Jeanlizzie Tue 24-Dec-19 10:17:21

One year my wonderful husband got me a lovely new hoover and when i got annoyed he looked at me and said i thought you would love it, it is a Dyson, that was the year i also got an ironing board anda book entitled 1001 things you wish your mother had told you, from my MIL, the ironing board made ever such a handy book shelf.
I know buy my own presents from husband with his card and have then delivered to him who wraps them, works for us
Many moons ago we didn't buy each other anything until the January sales x

jaylucy Tue 24-Dec-19 10:20:33

The Christmas that my ex and I split up, after years of being given presents that needed a performance worthy of an Oscar to say thank you, I finally gave him a list of things I would like - this was before he went out a couple of nights before Christmas on a "works do" and didn't get home until mid day the next day- when I opened the presents on Christmas day, there was every single thing on the list - even though I had told him to just choose a couple of things from it!
Guilty conscience? Could well be as he made a last minute dash out on Christmas Eve! It was about the last time that he spent anything of worth on me!!!

CBBL Tue 24-Dec-19 10:48:49

Hubby and I ask each other for suggestions, but we have a "favourite" jewellers, because he likes to buy me jewellery. This year, his "big" present is a telescope (which he asked for, and has already set up - to make sure that it is not damaged and will work properly), and mine is a pair of small diamond and emerald earrings. We have bought each other smaller presents too - but we no longer have children to buy for. Our one estranged grandchild recently re-married, and I saw this news on fb. Our niece is visiting from London today - so Christmas lunch is about to be prepared.

Nanny41 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:56:50

Talking of parcels,I ordered on line (seldom do this) and will never do again, there isnt any more post until after Christmas, and the parcel ordered 27/11 still hasnt arrived, this was the main present for my Husband, I am very disappointed, and mad at the firm I ordered from. End of rant, Happy Christmas all GN s

Matelda Tue 24-Dec-19 11:00:58

My husband and I have been married for over forty years but he still has trouble choosing me presents. I recently returned from a trip, and I could tell (though he hides his feelings) that he was pleased to see me. In fact, so much so that he went through a business catalogue and chose me something special. I now have a top of the range hole punch on my desk. Just bracing myself for Christmas ....

phoenix Tue 24-Dec-19 11:11:19

Luckygirl tchgrin

Matelda what is the difference between a "top of the range" hole punch, and an ordinary one?

marpau sounds like a spoilt child, rather than a husband, I would buy him the most boring gift possible, miserable old git!

travelsafar Tue 24-Dec-19 11:17:46

We always buy a jokey gift at Christmas as well as others. Couldn't think what to get this year but have just been to our local Aldi store and what did i find... yes Kevin the carrot and the matching mug, just had to be done as DH name is Kevin!!!tchgrin

Witchypoo Tue 24-Dec-19 11:38:34

No pressies to unwrap. Just a normal day. But i am quite content

Riggie Tue 24-Dec-19 11:42:24

Mine has come via amazon too. I have to try not to look at emails as the amazon accojnt is linked to my email address. He did work out how to changenthe name the parcels came to but only for one item coming today and thats something he has ordered for himself. II had £10 left on my birthday giftcard and decided to spend it last night, except it wasnt there as he has used it. No big deal I will order something costing much more (!!) using his card details...

Hetty58 Tue 24-Dec-19 11:49:01

As I have no 'other half' (aka walking wallet) I just bought myself presents. I got a nice little velvet cocktail chair, an orbital sander, assorted clothes and a cooking grill. I won't be wrapping them up and acting surprised when I open them, though!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 24-Dec-19 11:52:19

Well anything will be an improvement on last year, when DH told me he hadn't been able to find anything for me!

He was rather shamefaced about it, and I think he has bought me something this year. I'll let you know tomorrow or Boxing Day.

Madmaggie Tue 24-Dec-19 12:05:42

Nanny41 this happened to me one year for my adult son. Out of sheer desperation I cut out a picture of the ordered gift from a catalogue, glued it onto card, got a bit fancy with felt pens made it into a this is what you will unwrap - when it arrives, put in a box & wrapped that with bow and ribbon. He loved it, and still laughs about it. But he does like quirky.

Witzend Tue 24-Dec-19 12:05:58

A bit off topic, but I still feel a tearful pang to think of the Christmas a long time ago, when we knew my father was dying, and was very sorry that he couldn't get out to buy my mother a present. So she said, 'Write me a letter,' - she had always treasured his letters, esp. those he wrote to her during WW2.

So he wrote her a letter, and she treasured it for ages, kept it under her pillow - until she succumbed to the dreaded dementia and must have thrown it out, along with so much other stuff, since we never found it.

Buttonjugs Tue 24-Dec-19 12:54:07

@phoenix you can get radio codes free online, I did it for my van a few years ago. I am sure a google search would find it.

pamdixon Tue 24-Dec-19 15:39:26

one year DH didn't get me a present because he said he hadn't had time to buy one. He was a bit surprised when I said he'd had 364 days to get me one!!!! No idea if he's managed to get me something this year (not that I either need or want anything but its the thought that counts!!).

Mercedes55 Tue 24-Dec-19 17:05:23

Some years we don't bother with gifts for each other or we might just buy something we need for the house. Other years we just buy something small that we need. This year I have bought OH a new iPad as his is getting old, it was going to be a surprise but he guessed what is was. I really wanted some Joules fur trimmed wellies and a new leather purse, both of which I picked out myself and I've even started wearing the wellies as it's been so flipping wet outside!

phoenix Tue 24-Dec-19 17:15:01

Buttonjugs thanks for the tip! However previous Googling for my car didn't yield any free results tchsad

Will have another go.

Lizbethann55 Tue 24-Dec-19 17:52:48

I am getting a pair of wellies. I know because he mentioned it. They will be expensive wellies. They are in a box and wrapped up and under the tree. Goodness only knows when I will wear them. I have walking boots for when we are out and about and, as I have lymphoedema in my right foot and ankle, the chances of me getting them on are remote!. I usually get a casual coat or an expensive cardy. He has good taste, but no imagination!!

Daisyboots Tue 24-Dec-19 17:57:55

My husband had been complaining of more problems with his laptop so I offered to buy him one a couple of months ago but he said no. I wanted to treat him as he has been so marvellous this year while times haven't been good. Then I found he had bought one himself. Last week he said he wanted to go shopping to buy me a Christmas present and I said I would rather he didnt as I have more than I need now. He went to the local city yesterday but couldn't get parked at the big shopping centre so no handbag or Pandora anything will have been bought.
After he complained earlier about being worn out and wouldnt be lighting the woodburner. I have set the programmer on the oil central heating boiler to come on automatically over the Christmas period so he doesnt have the wood burner to clean out. We had a belt and braces system installed when my mother moved over with us.

Auntieflo Tue 24-Dec-19 18:00:51

My lovely DH has no ideas, at all, when it comes to presents. Except years ago, he surprised me with a Mary Quant make up box.
This year, we have bought dash cams, for our new car.
We both didn't want, or need anything, so that was a good idea.

But, I have bought him a couple of small presents, to open tomorrow. For me, I have bought a watch, from him.
I have also wrapped it, (don't ask)' and shall be suitably delighted tomorrow.