Gransnet forums

Christmas

Resisting temptation!

(60 Posts)
phoenix Mon 23-Dec-19 15:57:16

Hello all, and good wishes.

Well, as ever Mr P has done all his shopping via Amazon. Not sure what lies in store, as there were only 2 items (well, 3 if you count the very expensive household gadget I added as a joke) on the wish list that I shared with him. tchsmile

So, there were about 5 items stacked up, still in the Amazon packaging, on the large chest of drawers in the hall.

Today is our recycling collection day, so yesterday I asked him to "de cardboard" as much as possible, so that I could put it out in time.

The items are now in a carrier bag, still in the hall, but with the handles tied together.

I have no idea what they might be, apart from one where the packaging was a bit loose, and I happened to dislodge it while dusting, tchblush and as I picked it up from the floor, noticed it contained a knife sharpener tchconfused I will try to look suitably pleased when I open it tchwink

The gifts I have bought for him are hidden away and will remain so until I wrap them tomorrow (while he is at work) and put them under the tree.

I'm being very good, haven't even had a squeeze or a shake, but bearing in mind previous Christmas offerings have included a digital air compressor for inflating car tyres, and a (albeit beautifully wrapped) toilet seat, I'm bracing myself! tchgrin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Dec-19 16:20:44

Oh dear Phoenix I ordered my presents from the White Company, put them on Mr.Gravys Credit Card and had them delivered to him.

He has just wrapped them up and put them under the tree.

I shall look suitably surprised on Christmas morning tchgrin

phoenix Mon 23-Dec-19 16:22:20

tchgrin

B9exchange Mon 23-Dec-19 16:27:43

I have a DiL who is rumoured to unwrap everything, have a look, and then wrap them up again, we keep her presents here until the last minute! If you can resist peeking I will be lost in admiration, he should hide them better! grin

EllanVannin Mon 23-Dec-19 16:30:47

Aren't you lucky ? Hahahahaha.

I can talk, as years ago when our hard-earned cash went towards the children at Christmas, we didn't expect much,if anything from each other. One Christmas H came home with a pretty large square package at which I got quite excited about, as well as thinking he must have saved hard for whatever it was.

I was thinking it could be a very large box of chocolates. Yummy.
Never in a million years would I have guessed it was a new wooden drainboard to replace the rather worn, splintery one ! I didn't exactly whoop with joy.

phoenix Mon 23-Dec-19 16:31:34

Resisting so far, B9exchange but perhaps partly out of dread, and partly because he would know I have looked, left handed people tie things in a different way! tchwink

sodapop Mon 23-Dec-19 20:01:18

Why does my husband believe me when I say ' you don't need to buy me a present this year ' tchgrin

MiniMoon Mon 23-Dec-19 20:10:57

I have no idea if Mr MM has bought me anything. Packages have been arriving all week, which he has spirited away.
When in Harrogate a couple of weeks ago he bought me 2 jumpers and a pair of jeggings and I told him they would do for my birthday and Christmas, but knowing him as I do I wouldn't be surprised if he had bought me a secret gift.
My gift to him is all wrapped up and under the tree.

Doodle Mon 23-Dec-19 20:15:10

phoenix just in case, practice these responses in front of a mirror and see which you think is best

❄️Oooh a knife sharpener, just what I needed.
❄️Oh my goodness a knife sharpener, how did you guess that was what I wanted.
❄️A knife sharpener, what a lovely imaginative gift.
❄️ Wow that’s a really lovely knife sharpener. Where ever did you find such a nice one?
❄️No, really. A knife sharpener. I’ve always wanted one of those.

OR

A bl***y knife sharpener ?. Who gives their wife a knife sharpener for Christmas ?. Your dinner is going in the bin, along with you and your bl***y knife sharpener?
Happy Christmas tchangry

BradfordLass72 Mon 23-Dec-19 20:15:33

When I was a child, due to my Dad's war record, affilications and his work, I was invited to several Christmas parties where there were conjurers, lots of party foods and at the end, a visit from Santa.

It became something of a family joke that wherever I went, right up to the age of 9, I always got a doll's tea set.
I must have acquierd at least 8. Mum used to re-wrap hem and give to cousins for birthdays smile

They were quite cheap (plastic, Made in Taiwan) and came in a very big box, so would be seen as "exciting" for a child.

BradfordLass72 Mon 23-Dec-19 20:17:57

Is "affilications" a real word? grin Or is it just too early in the morning...? grin

Witzend Mon 23-Dec-19 20:19:40

Since I don't particularly want or need anything that wouldn't be crazily extravagant/completely out of the question, I told dh not to get me anything (except the customary stocking and favourite chocolates!) and I would do a big shop for the food bank instead.

I did the same last year and he did obey instructions, but this year I'm afraid he hasn't - he shut himself up earlier to do his wrapping up and was an awful long time - and he doesn't buy for anyone else!

I rather suspect some sort of Smartphone, since despite a lot of urging from him and dds I've held out for ages with my old basic phone, since I don't want to turn into one of those people who are permanently glued to their phones - and I'm afraid I probably would.
We shall see....

cornergran Mon 23-Dec-19 20:49:00

Is your husband really encouraging you to sharpen the knives phoenix.? grin. Not sure I could hold out from an accidental trip over the bag that sadly opened it.

phoenix Mon 23-Dec-19 21:03:52

The thing I really wanted was a code for my car radio! It got disconnected when I had some work done that involved the battery. I'm damn certain I had the code on a piece of card, but can I find it???? A new code is about £15, you have to order it from the dealer/manufacturer.

I also asked for one of the 48 piece boxes of a certain type of chocolates, rather partial to the dark chocolate and coconut ones tchblush and that's it!

The thing I added something I know I have no chance of getting, as it's very expensive, and the budget definitely won't run to it since the bathroom revamp!

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 23-Dec-19 21:10:16

All I’ve wanted for every birthday and Christmas for the past five years is for my kitchen to be painted. I’m pretty sure that’s not what’s in the two presents under the tree.

Grandad1943 Mon 23-Dec-19 22:31:05

Well, my wife does know exactly what she is getting. She told me that she wanted a pair of calf-length leather boots but I said you will have to be with me when I bought them to see if she like them and to try them on.

Well, we went first into Weston Super Mare only to find that most of the shoe shops had closed down. Then on another trip, we went to the large shopping mall at Cribbs Causeway Bristol where despite any number of shops my wife could not find anything she liked. So, on to Broadmead Shopping Centre in Bristol, still no Joy.

Then only a few days back we were in our towns small shopping centre which has only one privately-owned shoe shop, but I said lets a least give it a try. We walked in the door and within a few minutes, my wife spotted a pair of boots she liked on sight, and then "fell in love" with on trying them on. That came with wonderful service and chat with the owners.

So, they are all wrapped up and under the tree, as I have told her there is to be no wearing of them before Christmas as then I will be thinking I will have to get her something else, and no way am I going shopping yet again. ?

lemongrove Mon 23-Dec-19 22:45:31

Affiliations BradfordL ?

Have never received a ‘utility’ present, thank goodness, but I do remember a neighbour telling me many years ago, that she fell out with her DH at Christmas because he bought her a pressure cooker.He was very hurt and said that she was always saying that she wanted one.I did feel sorry for him though.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Dec-19 22:59:50

You sure know how to live! grin

Urmstongran Tue 24-Dec-19 00:03:37

I’m really good at not peeping. I think it’s because (a) I’m not materialistic and (b) I can easily wait for a surprise.
?

grannyactivist Tue 24-Dec-19 00:18:26

I not only never peep, but I’m always the last one to open gifts on Christmas Day - I love the anticipation.

This year I have bought and wrapped a new hairdryer for myself and The Wonderful Man has bought himself something for his bike (that would be his brand new, but not a Christmas gift bike) that he can’t wrap because he’s already fixed it on. We can be sure we both got exactly what we wanted! grin

I also got my sitting room and hall ceilings painted, which I have to say is worth far more to me than any bought gift.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Dec-19 01:26:57

I'm never tempted to look because I can rarely think of anything I want enough.

I used to refuse to choose a Christmas present, but ask that if I saw something during the year that they would treat me to it.

ScotinOz Tue 24-Dec-19 02:23:24

Well so far, I know that Mr S has bought me a bunion corrector??, A fly zapper in the shape of a tennis racket ? and a suitcase that I chose and bought for him to give to me.

Wow, can anyone top that ???

Merry Christmas everyone ??

MissAdventure Tue 24-Dec-19 02:41:45

And they say romance is dead.. grin

PageTurner Tue 24-Dec-19 02:42:11

When my DH and I were first married, he gave me a nice leather handbag that looked somewhat like a saddlebag.
He said " I got you a leather one because it will never wear out and you'll never have to buy another one"
????
( I managed about a year with it, then miraculously it disappeared)

Newquay Tue 24-Dec-19 06:19:51

For a few years now DH and I agreed not to buy each other at Christmas as, fortunately, we have all we need and if there’s anything we want we can just get it.
I stick to it but DH always buys something (small) but why? He’s bought himself a DVD he wants which I’m supposed to give to him! How daft is that?