Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas 2020

(56 Posts)
M0nica Tue 31-Dec-19 15:59:35

How many of you have already bought items for next Christmas?

DD and I went to the sales and came back with Christmas cards, Christmas crackers and a couple of presents.

maddyone Tue 31-Dec-19 16:01:15

Not yet, I haven’t been to the shops yet. When I do go to the shops, if there is anything such as Christmas paper on sale, I most likely will buy some.

Greenfinch Tue 31-Dec-19 16:31:06

A Christmas pudding and a packet of stuffing mix ( 2021 date)

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 16:39:08

Oh girls! ??

PamelaJ1 Tue 31-Dec-19 16:43:16

I haven’t bought any paper, cards etc. because I have such a lot left. I hardly bought any presents this year that required wrapping.
I have bought quite a few things in the reduced racks for my Christmas boxes next year though.

EllanVannin Tue 31-Dec-19 16:46:11

I'll be buying Christmas cards after tomorrow.( living in hope )

MiniMoon Tue 31-Dec-19 16:56:16

Bought a gift for son in law yesterday.
Put away for Christmas 2020!

Nortsat46 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:08:16

Paper, tags and bows -John Lewis sale
Christmas cards - National Trust sale
Crackers - Emma Bridgewater sale.

That’s all covered.
I always do this, which some people will think is silly, but it pleases me.

craftyone Tue 31-Dec-19 17:15:32

I used to do the same, not any more.

I am hoping to be wise enough not to buy so many tempting nibbles or pigs in blankets, am still eating them. Christmas 2020, I am definitely going to see about a solo holiday away, never thought I would do another cruise but tbh it is tempting, to go away for a good 3 weeks or so and s*d the cost

jane1956 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:22:57

Christmas cards and a small gift from Boots (half price) for teenage grand daughter may be b'day pressie in April

mumofmadboys Tue 31-Dec-19 17:25:25

3 packs of cards from Oxfam

Witzend Wed 01-Jan-20 08:15:30

Nothing, couldn’t face the shops so soon, though I know it would be very sensible.

One year when a dd was working in Ethiopia but had come home for Christmas, she went back with practically a suitcase full of post Christmas sale bargains as presents for her team. Their (orthodox) Christmas Day was 6th January, so she also took some very cut-price crackers, which went down a storm at their Christmas dinner - they’d never had or seen such things before.

SalsaQueen Wed 01-Jan-20 08:24:27

Christmas was one week ago, and some people are already thinking of the next one?! I don't plan anything that far in advance.............

ginny Wed 01-Jan-20 08:27:53

Nothing bought here. I keep away from shops as much as I can and especially the few weeks each side of Christmas. Once our decorations are down at the weekend, Christmas will not be mentioned again until at least November.

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Jan-20 08:30:14

I have bought a gift already for my DGD’s 7th birthday - she will be 5 in May!

JackyB Wed 01-Jan-20 08:36:01

I was tempted by reduced decorations, but resisted! After all, I already have 10 boxes!

Next This year, I might make my own cards again, or rather order them from a photo service. I got several compliments for the ones I did in 2019. I just got DH to dress up in scarf and gloves and we took a photo in front of the fir tree in the garden. I had fun adding Cliparts of Christmas baubles and put it all on a tasteful and expensive - looking dark red background.

This can only be done shortly before Christmas, of course.

M0nica Wed 01-Jan-20 08:38:49

SalsaQueen, no planning about it. We went to the shops to buy some food and they had Christmas cards and crackers at half price. I have the space to store them, so I bought them. £10 saved now means £10 not spent next Christmas. Ditto the presents. Each an unplanned purchase, but in this case the saving was nearer £20.

As I said, no planning but you do need to be strategic in your thinking on almost every aspect of life and take opportunities when they present themselves.

Beechnut Wed 01-Jan-20 08:47:32

You are all so organised. I’ve got some sprouts so I’ll put them on.

maddyone Thu 02-Jan-20 18:51:20

I’ve been to M+S today, bought Christmas paper, tags, and ribbons. My Christmas paper drawer is now stuffed full ready for next year.

maddyone Thu 02-Jan-20 18:52:12

Agree with you Monica.

MawB Thu 02-Jan-20 19:11:07

Beechnut tchgrintchgrin

jeanie99 Fri 03-Jan-20 22:33:53

Haven't even thought about it, mind on other things than Christmas 2020.

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 22:56:03

You are all previous, IMO. but probably prudent as I usually leave things on the late side when the shops and the buses are crowded and there's little choice.
My DS has a January birthday and he always got better presents than his siblings because we were able to buy in the sales.

Flowerette Fri 03-Jan-20 23:05:47

Got some cheap wrap from Asda ... with a big family like my husbands got .. we need it ! Loads of nephews abs nieces etc
20p and really pretty ... love the sales and I have no shame getting things for Christmas 2020 ?

quizqueen Fri 03-Jan-20 23:14:23

Some wrapping paper and a cracker present ( we make our own with tailored fillings to suit the 'puller') and some Xmas socks.