Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas day

(31 Posts)
Fuchsiarose Mon 26-Oct-20 22:42:47

Not looking forward to Christmas. It took me five years to get out of a Christmas get together I did not want to be in. I would rather be with ten strangers. But I know covid will prevent that.

Sparkling Mon 02-Nov-20 18:11:23

Fuschiarose, just who are all these people you don’t like but try to have your company anyway. If you don’t like them, just say you prefer to be on your own. Say please do not ask again as you dread Christmas because of it. No doubt you won’t hear from them again but as you don’t like them it won’t matter. It’s best to be straight with people I think they must be very kind to keep trying.

Witzend Mon 02-Nov-20 22:57:35

Must say I’ve heard of people being very persistent - ‘Oh, you can’t possibly be all on your own at Christmas!* despite the person’s protests that they’ll be quite happy, and in fact would prefer it.
I can imagine feelings of being very nobly kind to the poor old thing, but that’s probably my nasty inner cynic (maybe not all that inner, either ?) coming out.

Fuchsiarose Tue 03-Nov-20 02:38:25

Many thanks witzend. This old thing is not so old. More an independent pensioner who revels in having a mind of her own. Not my fault I have those around me who like to disguise caring for the one who lives alone, and loves solitude. Their offerings mainly more about them and control of another. Even if I was 95, I would still reject being managed by others

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:41:05

Right , I got the wrong end of the stick, you will be alone for Christmas as your ‘Inviters’ got the message that you didn’t want to be with them after a number of years.

So that’s ok then, see your sister?

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 08:44:27

Totally confused.com
But sympathies for your health issues OP