Gransnet forums

Christmas

Why can I not give my grandchildren presents?

(130 Posts)
Liverbird66 Wed 04-Nov-20 08:49:25

Hi I am looking for advice. My son has told me that they will be following his partners family tradition in respect of Christmas presents. Any presents bought for my Granddaughters will be from Santa, this includes presents from grandparents, Great grandparents, aunts and uncles. Nobody is allowed to put gifts under the tree to our girls. I also have a grandson with my older son, how can I watch him open all his presents from us all whilst my Granddaughters sit and watch with nothing from us. They are 2 and 7 months old at the moment but as they grow older they will wonder why we buy presents for our grandson and not them. My sons partner will not compromise with me on this.

jaylucy Wed 04-Nov-20 10:07:22

Sorry but I have read "gifts from Santa" as all the gifts will have labels on them saying "to x from Santa" not from whoever has actually gifted them. Did I get that wrong?
As others have said, they are too young to be bothered where they have come from and as far as your other GC is concerned, you can easily explain that Santa was so busy that he asked for you to find some presents for them as he was too busy to wrap them !

GreyKnitter Wed 04-Nov-20 10:09:42

Like many others here, in my family we always had small things in a stocking from Santa early in the morning and then presents from people - parents, friends etc under the tree to be opened later. I think children should be taught to say thank you to folks for their presents and to have a realistic expectations. You could ask Santa for anything and assume he would bring it! Could I have a new car this years please Santa - I’ve been very good and stuck to all the COVID rules!!! ????

Lin663 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:09:56

Why not label gifts as having been “brought by Santa to Granny’s house for (name)” that way you are following their (ridiculous) rule whilst making the source of the gift obvious

Doodledog Wed 04-Nov-20 10:10:40

I think that whilst the parents have the right to set their own traditions, they don’t have the right to impose them on you. If they are saying that their children can’t have presents from Granny at Christmas, could you negotiate a compromise whereby you give them gifts on Boxing Day?

Failing that, I think I would get all them (ie both sets of children) small presents at Christmas, and make a bigger deal of birthdays. Most children get a lot of things at Christmas anyway, so are more likely to remember birthday presents and who bought them.

SylviaPlathssister Wed 04-Nov-20 10:12:42

DILs often rule the roost. What they says goes regarding their Christmas routines. They don’t see any irony in their behaviour when dictating to me.
I would just keep my mouth tight shut as your DIL could stop you from even seeing your GC. There are enough heartbroken GPs on here, to serve as a warning.
Or you can say politely that you have decided to save the money that you would spend on presents for them, and you can give it to them when they are older. That should start a war. Lol

GrannySomerset Wed 04-Nov-20 10:13:29

Quite agree, Trisher. We always taught our children that Christmas was about giving as well as getting and from an early age they made or chose gifts for close family and their own particular friends, as well as something for the Gift Service in York Minster on Christmas Eve. Stocking at some unearthly hour on Christmas morning, family gifts exchanged after breakfast, and anything else after tea, so that there was some chance of presents being appreciated and the donor thanked in person. Interestingly, DD followed a similar pattern when DGD1 was young.

GrannyRose15 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:13:56

It's honestly not worth getting agitated about this now. Your GC will eventually get wise to the fact that everything has to be bought by someone and then things will have to change. Just enjoy being with them on the day if you get a chance. Most of us won't even be able to do that this year.

grannygranby Wed 04-Nov-20 10:18:48

Yes my daughter in law is very controlling of me (I am alone so have no back up ) and my son acquiesces. No presents or clothes I send are ever recognized, it’s upsetting and embarrassing and son just says he doesn’t know...so now the girls are 8 and 6 I sadly no longer send them stuff as I know it annoys her, apparently she is never in when parcels arrive even in lockdown. I sometimes get stuff through when it is small enough to go through letter box... but really it is no a battle so I will have to wait till they grow up.
She also reprimanded me when I sent a lovely originally designed Tolkien advent calendar that he had designed for his grandchild... it was so lovely. She told me not to do that as she has her own advent calendar which she uses. And when I tried to pass on the lovingly washed and separated by colour jars of LEGO which my son so adored and was so addicted to she said no thank you her mother had bought some at s charity shop. Each time it is like a spear to your heart I can’t believe how she can be so heartless as she is so sentimental in general...but I have come to accept it as we have to. She hasn’t gone so far as making gifts only come from Santa... or has she? My son phoned me last week and said they wanted to buy the girls tablets for Xmas which were quite expensive would I contribute ... I said yes of course and sent £100. I don’t think they will say, nor will it seem relevant to tell them I contributed... but I kind of understand.
I liked the comment above that they were CF’s the c for cheeky. Good job we’ve got each other to laugh with and roll our eyes.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:20:47

If the whole family is regularly together on Christmas Day, next year the 3 year old will probably ask why her cousin gets a present and she doesn't.

I'd like to see your son and daughter-in-law answering that one!

Grin and bear it this year and next. It won't last for ever.
I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six, so will they.

Ro60 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:24:14

Maybe you could start a new tradition and give presents on New Year's Day?

Liverbird66 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:33:42

We all get together early January for "Christmas 2" as we cannot do it over Christmas. They will still not allow gifts to the girls on this day either.

Love all the advice, you have all given me a lot to think about. Thank you xx

arosebyanyothername Wed 04-Nov-20 10:38:22

It seems a mean thing to do. Can only her family can have traditions?
Christmas is a lot more than presents from a man in a red suit.
Where will your grandchildren think the presents have come from when they realise it's fake news?

Dibbydod Wed 04-Nov-20 10:39:59

My son and daughter-in-law had this idea few years ago with my then two very young grandchildren , but when I’d said that it would look like I’ve not bought them anything and that would look very unkindly , I’d also added that I’d always looked forward with excitement to opening the presents I’d received from my own grandparents on Christmas Day when I were young child , they then had change of heart .
Personally I think that grandparents play such an important role in their grandchildren’s lives that it’s a very sad situation when they believe that Gran & Gramps don’t give them Xmas gifts . This belief involves the whole family and can lead to many upsets .

leeds22 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:41:12

I used to stick to everything coming from Santa until one year DS announced that Daddy (ex husband and usually absent parent) had bought him XX and I hadn’t given him anything. When I listed everything he got from Santa he pointed out that wasn’t me. That was the end of presents from Santa.

Borrheid55 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:09:42

When my children were growing up , Santa’s presents were the unwrapped ones which appeared on Christmas Day. “Santa doesn’t have time to wrap all the presents for all the children in the world!” The wrapped presents they knew came from mum and dad, grandparents etc. I thought that they then ‘got’ the idea of giving /receiving gifts by doing this.

Jillybird Wed 04-Nov-20 11:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreenGran78 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:31:03

I would go along with their wishes, at least for this year. People are stressed enough right now, without raising issues. The children are too young to know the difference anyway. I would then have a friendly chat with the parents well before next Christmas, and explain your difficulties. If these refuse to change you will just have to go along with what they want to do. Their children. Their rules.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 11:32:52

Things are bound to change as the children grow up.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:35:40

Liverbird66, the right thing to do is to respect the parents' wishes. I don't remember caring where my presents came from when I was little!

mokryna Wed 04-Nov-20 11:37:52

My GC find presents under many trees as FC got muddle with the addresses. Parents, grandparents x2, godparents x2 and the parents’ friends. My presents now, for Christmas and birthday for one set of GC are lessons, judo, dancing or tennis. Every time they go their mother says it’s from granny.
A 7 year old knows FC doesn’t exist from school.
But if they don’t accept that do as doodledog suggested, buy a small C present and a more expensive birthday one.

Romola Wed 04-Nov-20 11:37:52

I really feel for you, Liverbird66. It is horrible feeling so hurt by a DiL. But she rules the roost and I think you just have to wait until your GCs stop believing in FC.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 11:39:19

Well, I presume the son is in agreement with the arrangement.

25Avalon Wed 04-Nov-20 11:43:45

We always had the Christmas presents in one big sack for each of our children when they were young asking people to let us have them prior to the day. What we did, however, was to have the labels clearly on them so we could say for example “look what Grandma has asked Santa to bring you”. We were then able to write to each sender. This is a tradition from when I was a child and dd does the same with gc but each knows who asked Santa. We then also had a stocking with lots of little presents just from Santa.

Is it not possible Liverbird66 your son and partner could do the same? The only consolation if at all is that all presents are treated the same.

I do have one other little idea. My mil was not entirely happy with our tradition so she used to put some presents round her Christmas tree in her house and say Santa had left them there. This would be unique to you and your house and the gc will always associate it with you.

Florida12 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:43:47

Presents were never put under the tree as I grew up, I did live in an unsavoury neighbourhood though, with a high chance of them getting nicked.
I did the same with my children, all presents locked in the big wardrobe and we used to lug them downstairs on Christmas Eve. And on Christmas morning the sound of,”he’s been”.

ReadyMeals Wed 04-Nov-20 11:44:49

I see you're partner-blaming, but it wouldn't have been impossible for your son to say "well in MY family the tradition is...." Then he and she could have compromised with her family giving gifts from santa only and his family giving named gifts. Give your gifts to the other son's family, with your names on, separately, and tell them to pretend to their cousins that they came from santa not grandma. Tell them "it's their family tradition to lie about these things" . The last sentence is a joke, btw :P