Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mother Christmas . Any more out there?

(67 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 26-Nov-20 17:18:34

Yesterday my DH said " let's have a discussion tomorrow about what other presents we still need to buy". WE!!! I love him dearly, but he does make me laugh sometimes!!! Are there any other Mother Christmases out there?

dragonfly46 Fri 27-Nov-20 09:58:05

I have trouble stopping my DH. He loves buying presents and at the moment there are many packages arriving which he has secreted upstairs. Sometimes I wish he wouldn't as I really do not need any more stuff!

Yiayia4 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:07:53

Yes Witzend Yiayia is Greek for grandma.
I don’t have much enthusiasm for Christmas this year as like many others we will not be celebrating with our family.

GrammarGrandma Fri 27-Nov-20 10:26:12

We do ours together and the writing of Christmas cards.

DotMH1901 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:26:23

Hahaha - yes, I did/still do the buying of Christmas presents. I have always organised my GC in regards to buying presents for their Dad and Mum, and their Granddad and Grandma and for each other, cards as well. My ex son in law was always 'too busy' to take them shopping. I knew my DD would find time to help them pick a present out for me. Since s-i-l left them I have continued to organise the presents for him, his new partner, three step siblings and two half siblings they have now, plus, of course, Granddad and Grandma. Will be posting them off this weekend to make sure they arrive in plenty of time. I also organise the birthday presents and cards and make sure they too are posted in ample time. My GS will be 18 next July and I have warned him he will have to do his own shopping for gifts after his birthday smile Heaven help them - he has the oddest taste in presents bless him!

Quizzer Fri 27-Nov-20 10:30:49

My DH asks whether I have got all the presents on 23rd Dec.
Can't remember the last time he bought anything for anyone.

BusterTank Fri 27-Nov-20 10:40:45

I buy the presents and wrap them . I buy the food and cook it . I wait on everyone hand and foot . I put the decorations up and take them down . Then my husband says I think every body got what they wanted and everyone had a good Christmas . I really don't think he understands the time and effort it takes , to make Christmas happen . I wouldn't have it any other way though .

inishowen Fri 27-Nov-20 10:55:02

When our children were young I'd sort out all their Santa's presents and budget for months too. On Christmas Eve hubby would want to help setting them out, then would start questioning why I got this or that, and even say I hadn't got enough. It really used to p me off.

Katyj Fri 27-Nov-20 10:56:02

My Dh said this morning, I think next week we’ll get all the presents down and start wrapping, what he means is he’ll hold the sellotape ? how does he know there are any to wrap ! Mother Christmas has already called of course ?

Alioop Fri 27-Nov-20 10:58:02

I was Mother Christmas and bought every single thing. Presents, food, did all the wrapping, etc. My ex husband would of left me putting up the tree and said he was going shopping for my presents. He used to sit in his mum's drinking tea until he thought I'd be finished! I even sorted everyone's presents for my mum, wrote all her cards cos of her arthritis in her fingers and wrapped and gave the gifts out. Miss her dreadfully at this time of year, it was just me and her at Xmas when my marriage split. She was a darling.x

KathrynP Fri 27-Nov-20 10:59:18

I am definitely Mother Christmas. I come from a large family but my husband only has 2 adult GC. We decided a few years ago to do Secret Santa for the adults in my family. Of course I then have to buy for my husband’s chosen gift receiver. Yesterday we got our Secret Santa and My husband got me as his gift receiver so I will have to buy myself a present and as he always says buy something for yourself at Xmas for our own exchange of presents. Looks like I’ll get no surprises this year!

Moggycuddler Fri 27-Nov-20 11:03:36

Yes, I do everything. Even my own presents usually. He asks what I want and tells me to order it.

lizzypopbottle Fri 27-Nov-20 11:23:29

It would be easy to think that men (in general) attach much less importance to cards and presents at any time of year but I believe they are downright lazy and, if we women get on with doing it, the men are happy to let us. I proved it in my own case, several years ago, by declaring one Christmas that I was not going to write or post any cards that year. My husband was shocked and scandalized even though he had never written or sent a card in all the time we'd been married! He helped that year!

Sarahmob Fri 27-Nov-20 11:26:34

Oh this resonates with me, the only gift my husband buys is mine! I also plan and cook whatever we’re eating, although he is a great sous chef and more than pulls his weight in the kitchen. I rarely cook Sunday lunch and if he’s in before I get in from work then he’ll prep veg etc for dinner.

Sheilasue Fri 27-Nov-20 11:33:31

Nope definitely not, we both do it together.

B9exchange Fri 27-Nov-20 11:36:50

Another Mother Christmas here. I buy and write the cards, Idecide on the presents, order them, show him (though not much interest, looks over my head at the TV!) wrap them, put tags on that I have signed, just leaving them for him to add his name. The adult children take great pleasure in hunting for one that he has missed "Oh look, it's a Mum and..." and also tease him by asking him if he knows what is in something before they unwrap it. I buy the stocking fillers too (anyone staying Christmas Eve gets a stocking), but he does wrap and stuff them, complaining how exhausting it is! However he redeemed himself last year, we had no one staying for the first time in 45 years, and he produced a surprise stocking for me, stuffed with thoughtful little things he knew I would like, I was so touched I burst into tears, not quite the reaction he was expecting!

Nannan2 Fri 27-Nov-20 11:44:46

Same here vampirequeen! Have to always brief my 2youngest sons on what card/gift etc 'we' gave before they ring up to give best wishes at birthdays/xmas.?

Nannan2 Fri 27-Nov-20 11:50:19

Usually eldest of the 2 sons does order me a gift though(amazon or some such) but this year i told him i need slippers then just in case showed him which ones & where to get.so he ordered& will (eventually) wrap them.card too he will get on amazon usually.&add his brothers name on.(this yr youngest (17) has let me choose my own gift & hes going to pay for it & wrap it at some point!(i hope!)?

4xGranny Fri 27-Nov-20 11:55:48

We always make present buying a joint effort. My DH often has the best ideas and makes the orders. I am in charge of wrapping but only because I enjoy it.

Paperbackwriter Fri 27-Nov-20 12:02:03

I buy the presents (except the one he gets for me) but he organises and cooks all the Christmas food so I think I definitely come out as the winner.

Caro57 Fri 27-Nov-20 12:02:10

DH struggles to think of presents for his children and always asks my DD what she thinks I would like - woeful!

Anniechip Fri 27-Nov-20 12:08:53

Definitely Mother Christmas here, I do it all and love every minute of it!! DH.asks me for ideas but never wants to know what I’ve bought for other family members. Parcels and bags everywhere but never thinks to ask what is in them!
And on Christmas Eve asks for wrapping paper to wrap my gifts- “ I only need a little piece”!! And I always have a pile from him!

Saggi Fri 27-Nov-20 12:39:44

My husband hasn’t shopped for a single present for anybody ( including me) since my marriage day....which he also didn’t help with. I should’ve thought then that I would become his servant. I didn’t....so I am. He happily hands over money .... but won’t shop...not even for his own clothes!!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 27-Nov-20 13:58:58

Oh, yes, any present buying for Christmas or birthdays is my job.

To such an extent that I was so happy when DH said earlier this month, "I must do something about your birthday present soon"

Come my birthday, no present, and he had completely forgotten about my birthday.

Writing cards, e-mails etc. is my job too, even although the family we have left is his relations by birth, not mine.

But I love Christmas and looking for presents, so I don't mine, though the forgotten birthday did sting a bit.

biba70 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:01:36

ah, the Royal we- yes- my dad, and now my OH

marpau Fri 27-Nov-20 14:11:13

When our DSs left home DH was gutted to find Santa did not exist! Up to that point he woke on Christmas morning to lots of presents under the tree which had appeared by magic. The DSs had an idea what was in them but DH had no clue as he was oblivious to the incessant pleas and lists from DSs in the run up to Christmas ???