Gransnet forums

Christmas

Will you dress up on Christmas day

(155 Posts)
Judy54 Fri 11-Dec-20 13:29:53

Having lived in casual clothes since March, I want to put some glad rags on on Christmas day. I have a lovely pair of silver crushed velvet trousers, a sparkly top and some pretty earrings which will be just the job. It is only my Partner and myself this Year but I want to make the effort. How about you whether you are on your own, with a Partner, family or friends will you wear something a little dressy?

Nortsat Fri 11-Dec-20 15:25:58

I will wear black trousers and a new black and white geometric pattered top with some gold jewellery.
Light make up and a spritz of Chanel no19.

I will be cooking, but before I sit down I will add a sequinned scarf.
There will only be the two of us, but we’ll open champagne before we begin eating ... and pull our Christmas crackers.
We’ll make the best of it ... ??

Calendargirl Fri 11-Dec-20 15:26:22

No, just normal stuff.

Hate dressing up.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Dec-20 15:28:21

Same for me.
Maybe one of my better jumpers.

Sar53 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:30:44

I've just bought a new dress from Seasalt so I shall wear that with tights and black boots.

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 15:34:55

As there is a roast meal to be cooked I think the table will be better dressed than me.
Still, if the moths haven’t ravaged my black velvet trousers (nice loose waist)? I will pair them with a shirt of some kind,
A splash of Chanel and earrings.

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 15:36:08

Marydoll

I have always dressed up on Christmas day and this year will be no different.
I have a lovely teal velvet top, with matching jewellery which I plan to wear and of course full make up!

Will you be popping into The Argy for a quick one?

grandMattie Fri 11-Dec-20 15:38:08

Yes, especially if I've been to church first. Nothing very flash, just "Sunday best"

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:57:45

Out to DD and family for late lunch so will put my red, grey, black patterned M&S frock on with dark grey tights and shoe boots. Hope for a red hat from the Xmas cracker to coordinate ?

We’re staying at the travel lodge up the road from their house in Llandudno so will take jeans and jumper for Boxing Day brunch at theirs before returning home at noon.

Marydoll Fri 11-Dec-20 16:02:30

lemongrove, it will be the first time in 43 years of married life I will not be tipsy.
I may bring my bottle of non alcoholic gin and pretend to be legless like the rest the patrons! wink grin

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:09:35

Definitely dressing up on Christmas Day, it will either be a Hobbs red dress or Boden red and navy one, makeup and jewellery.

tanith Fri 11-Dec-20 16:13:24

Nope I’ll be home alone so don’t see the point.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:15:27

Am impressed with how many of you will be looking smart, elegant and Christmassy. I don’t know if we are going to see our dd and gc yet, so plans could change. If home I might make an exception and get out of my stretchy pj’s but no promises.
Best clothes are often uncomfortable and always too tight, especially if lounging fir hours on the sofa. A posh outfit with slippers doesn’t work well either.
Merry Christmas to one and all. Ho ho ho. smile

boheminan Fri 11-Dec-20 16:40:09

Yep. Will be donning my fairy wings and tinsel halo the same as I've done for the last 10 years. If you can't be a fairy at Christmas - when can you! tchsmile

glammanana Fri 11-Dec-20 16:51:34

I will be wearing my black 3/4 sleeved top embellished with a sparkly Christmas Tree Motif and black skinny jeggings from M&S they fit perfectly finished off with sparkly red high heels they will match my red sparkly nails which I am having done at the salon tomorrow.

cornergran Fri 11-Dec-20 17:06:00

I’m envious of those dressing up. We may well be eating in a conservatory with windows and door open. Suspect thermal undies will be worn along with woolly hat and scarf.. tchgrin.

anna7 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:18:51

I've got a jersey boden dress I've not had chance to wear yet so that will do with some black tights. I have a new puppy too though so the tights might end up in shreds grin I'm sick to death of wearing nothing but old jeans and jumpers so it will be nice to make a bit of an effort for a change.

MamaCaz Fri 11-Dec-20 17:43:02

I stopped dressing up on Christmas day when grandchildren came along, as I invariably spend much of the day on the floor playing with them, which is a lot easier to do in trousers - plus when I'm not playing, I am probably cooking!
When my own children were young, I had no problem doing those things in lovely dresses, but somewhere between them growing up and grandchildren arriving, I lost that ability. sad
That said, I won't be wearing scruffy clothes on Christmas day (though I might if OH and I were spending it alone), but nor do I dress up like I did in the past.

There will only be one grandchild present this Christmas, because the others are school age and mixing with a lot of people, meaning that we have no close contact with them at the moment, but I know I will be spending as much time on the floor playing as ever. Comfort and practicality first for me!

Davida1968 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:49:15

Possibly I will wear the only dress I possess. (Bought it last year for Christmas, but honestly I couldn't be arsed at the time.... We had guests staying for Christmas and it was easier to be in trousers.) But there will be leggings worn underneath! (Just me and DH here for Christmas.... it will be a no-cook, grazing, day....bliss!)

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:52:58

I shall be like the Queen at Sandringham. Change for the occasion??

Luncheon with just two of us so casual and Christmas evening with Son DIL and DiL’s mother so probably a red frock, in keeping with the season as it were with a Christmas bling broach of sparkly bells. ???????

Boxing Day Christmas jumper with king penguin and young. for a walk with all the family and dogs. About 12 of us I,e, two groups of 6.

ginny Fri 11-Dec-20 18:49:37

Probably not. Just me , DH and MIL. Don’t think I’ll be in the mood.

MiniMoon Fri 11-Dec-20 19:00:01

It will probably be my Christmas jumper and jeans or my favourite trousers. There will just be the two of us, so I don't see the need.

MayBee70 Fri 11-Dec-20 19:00:34

I’ll probably put a fresh pair of pyjamas on.

Grandmabatty Fri 11-Dec-20 19:15:03

I will definitely wear a dress. I have a navy Jersey one which will expand with me. I'll be driving to dd do probably won't drink at all. A spritz of clinique 'Happy' which is my favourite scent. Maybe jewellery and some make up.

Harris27 Fri 11-Dec-20 19:19:01

Yes Christmassy top and velvet trousers definitely! We won’t give in or up!

grannypiper Fri 11-Dec-20 19:19:27

I will be dressed on the bottom half, the top half will be an old t shirt and apron until DH carries the Turkey in to the dinning room at that point i will change into a nice sparkly top. As soon as the washing up is done i will be in whatever new pyjama's i find under the tree.