Gransnet forums

Christmas

Boxes of chocolates

(133 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 14:14:40

I have been given a box of chocolates for Christmas, and have been sampling them this afternoon?.

They are what one would describe as modern flavours. Whilst delicious I have decided that I really prefer the more traditional flavours.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 16:53:11

EllanVannin

Terry's 1767 chocs were luxurious in the 50's/ 60's. In a box with little drawers that could be used to keep nik-naks in when empty.

Oh yes I remember the drawers

Maggymay Sat 19-Dec-20 16:58:42

DH likes soft centres I like hard centres ,only problem is all the boxes of chocolates nowadays are mainly soft centres.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Dec-20 17:01:46

Ferreros are my absolute favourite.

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Dec-20 17:02:31

If I get given any you can share, I don’t like chocolate!

Urmstongran Sat 19-Dec-20 17:08:56

I always look for the orange cream first in a box of chocs!

But rose & violet in dark chocolate are my absolute favourites.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 17:12:57

Oh yes dark chocolate

Chewbacca Sat 19-Dec-20 17:49:02

Terry's 1767 were the Rolls Royce of chocolates! Lovely quality chocolate, beautifully presented. And not a drop of greasy palm oil in sight. Bleurgh.

Chewbacca Sat 19-Dec-20 17:51:25

Does anybody actually eat "white chocolate"? --which isn't actually chocolate at all-

I like Moser Roth Dark Mint from Aldi.

HurdyGurdy Sat 19-Dec-20 19:12:31

I do miss the lovely boxes you used to get at Christmas time for chocolates. Pretty cottages etc. Made the chocolates taste more special, I think.

FannyCornforth - "My favourite is a truffley/ noisette type concoction
Least favourite - coffee and strawberry creams, toffees"
You and I would be like Jack Spratt and his wife. Our box would be empty with no leftovers, I feel smile

My favourites, apart from the traditional creams, are the more modern flavours. I can't bear Cadbury now since the americans took the firm over. I'm all about Hotel Chocolat now. Their flavours are amazing.

lemongrove Sat 19-Dec-20 19:25:49

Chewbacca

My favourite boxes of chocolates were Terry's Spartan; all hard centres in a plain, dark chocolate. Don't think they do them any more? A lot of chocolate is made with palm oil these days and is just horrible; I'd rather do without. I've bought a huge box of Moser Roth chocolatesfor sharing at Christmas --not a chance--

Yes, I remember them, they were lovely chocolates.
I can’t have chocolate now but don’t miss it as most are pretty revolting with palm oil and too much sugar.
In the recent past, the only chocolate I found acceptable was dark, even from expensive chocolatiers.
A long time ago my favourite centres were coconut, marzipan, toffee/fudge strawberry cream.

Grandma11 Sat 19-Dec-20 19:30:30

I have a large box of Hotel Chocolate luxury Chocolates awaiting my attention over Christmas! It’s rather naughty, as I’m diabetic, but because they are not too sweet compared with some brands, l can allow myself about two a day without and bad side effects such as itchy skin!

As for the likes of the really old fashioned brands like Black Magic and Milk Tray, the modern machine made versions are nothing like the ones we used to have back in my childhood. Long gone are the hand piped swirls that identified the filling within, and the range of flavours and fillings have been changed over the years often for cheaper ingredients, are disappointing to say the least!

Alishka Sat 19-Dec-20 19:31:23

grandMattie

Reminds me of a chocolate subscription I gave DD. She tasted one. “Mmm”, she said, then something that sounded like “semen”! I was horrified,then split my sides laughing. I had mis-heard “cinnamon”. ???

gringringrin

Calendargirl Sat 19-Dec-20 19:39:04

I used to like Dairy Box, the Turkish delight and a wafery one among others, but I really like dark chocolate.

Not keen on coffee cream type ones or fudge, DH always says “Which ones don’t you like? “and he eats them, bless him, but I can force anything down if I am desperate.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Dec-20 05:16:01

MissAdventure

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CheekyFragranceLtd?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=769713523

Fanny, for you.
This seller sells it.
Great reviews, too smile

Wow! Thank you so much!
You're a star!

Sparkling Sun 20-Dec-20 05:25:28

Like any chocolate, it's my downfall. If I get a box, I'm constantly drawn to it, I almost dread getting one as I have no will power. I do like s Malteesers and often by mistake put one in with my shopping, or Cadburys Fruit and Nut. I will bever be slim.

Nanagem Sun 20-Dec-20 07:51:53

I remember the one with the draws, my dad would buy them for mum, she would let me have the box after. I’d forgotten about the lime ones, my brother loved those.

I like proper chocolates, can’t really eat them now, but if I do I go for the coffee, oo and the raspberry cream black magic very nice. We watched elf last night, and my daughter open the tub of celebrations, I had a bounty, but it’s not the same.

A nice box, with a pretty “chocolate box” picture on, sooo much better.

Vickysponge Sun 20-Dec-20 08:15:53

I like handmade chocolates. These are delicious.

lemsip Sun 20-Dec-20 08:22:48

I used to love a Terry's chocolate orange but have gone off of them now, don't know why. I like a cadbury's fruit and nut bar.........I have a tin of quality street given to me for christmas. an actual tin, not plastic!
I've also been given a small box of black magic which I'm looking forward too!
My grandmother's occupation on the 1901 census was a chocolatier!

CanadianGran Sun 20-Dec-20 08:26:02

Quality Street are nice, I will always go for fruity cream centers.

In Canada we have Rogers that are dee-lightful! All sorts of flavours, everyone can find something that they like.

seacliff Sun 20-Dec-20 08:34:54

I am unusual it seems, in that I LOVE coffee creams, well anything coffee flavoured. Also most other creams. I agree a lot of chocolates aren't as good theses days, due to change of recipe/palm oil?

I used to get Linden Lady Chocs at foodie shows. They were sooo delicious. Can't find them now. I would like to get a treat for Christmas but not sure what. Too late for Hotel Chocolat delivery.

Gwyneth Sun 20-Dec-20 08:39:20

seacliff coffee creams are always my first pick too! Does anyone remember the lime barrel in Milk Tray. Loved it but they stopped making it years ago.

Jane10 Sun 20-Dec-20 09:28:02

Oh yes. Those Terry's cabinets of chocolates with the drawers. They were such a massive treat. This Christmas I've got DH the nearest thing I could find. Its the M&S 'Conoisseurs' selection. If, for some unimaginable reason, he doesn't like them I'll just have to manage them myself. Otherwise, Hotel Chocolat has spoiled me for other chocolates.

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Dec-20 09:30:46

MissAdventure

Ferreros are my absolute favourite.

I could have supplied you with some when DMIL was still with us, MissAdventure. She probably misheard when I said they were about the only chocolates I really didn’t like and gave me them regularly. One Christmas there was a bit of confusion and I got three big boxes of the darn things.

Marzipan for me, any which way. And I love white chocolate, Chewbacca. blush

Davida1968 Sun 20-Dec-20 10:15:16

No-one seems to have mentioned one of my favourites: Lindt chocolate "balls". DH & I have treated ourselves to a box for Christmas.

Purplepoppies Sun 20-Dec-20 10:20:43

I lurve proper dark chocolates. Definitely not Black Magic types.
I would have loved a mooch around Hotel Chocolat but sadly not this year.
I have got some fabulous dark chocs from a pound shop of all places!! Who knew fussy me would be happy with pound shop Chocolate?? ??
(I'm only a chocolate snob, definitely not a snooty bissom in any other parts of life) ?