Gransnet forums

Christmas

Eating “healthily” over Christmas

(86 Posts)
MayBeMaw Mon 20-Dec-21 09:46:03

OK an oxymoron in itself but what would your reaction be to this?
Healthier options
By eschewing shop-bought snacks you’ll go a long way to swerving the expanding waistline. Healthier options include smoked salmon, olives, pickles and fresh fruit. Try these simple, healthy canapé ideas with a Yuletide twist
<Wait for it…….>
Roasted sprouts on sticks with Parmesan
Toss sprouts in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven on a baking tray at 200C (fan) for 25 minutes or until tender when poked with a sharp knife. Once roasted, place on a cocktail stick with a little cube of Parmesan
????????????????????????.

rockgran Tue 21-Dec-21 19:13:05

Thank you for saying "healthily" and not "eating healthy". ( I'm a bit fussy - some might say pedantic - about adverbs}. grin

rockgran Tue 21-Dec-21 19:14:21

...yes I did notice my full stop.

AreWeThereYet Tue 21-Dec-21 20:03:27

I love sprouts. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night and cook a small bowl of sprouts and eat them with a knob of butter.

Nannina Wed 22-Dec-21 00:53:34

I didn’t like sprouts as a child but my grandad convinced me they were lovely if I added a drop of vinegar to each one. I now love sprouts but only with the vinegar which causes raised eyebrows when eating away from home. I always cook too many to add to leftover mash and other veg for perfect bubble and squeak

seacliff Wed 22-Dec-21 04:24:09

Mmmm ....sprouts with bubble and squeak, including chopped up sage and onion stuffing, with a bit of halloumi and pickles. My veggie Boxing Day favourite.

Katie59 Wed 22-Dec-21 07:55:39

I love sprouts but they need to be cooked properly, yesterday we went to the local pub for a Christmas lunch, the sprouts were undercooked and horrid.
One day a year you can give yourself a treat and relax the diet, just don’t overdo it and remember each alcoholic drink can be 200 calories.

Pittcity Wed 22-Dec-21 09:17:41

Did anyone see Celebrity MasterChef yesterday? Judi Love put a whole scotch bonnet in with her sprout stir fry and nearly blew Greg and John's heads off!

annodomini Wed 22-Dec-21 09:54:22

Not a great sprout fan, I know the effect they have on me and it's not pretty. Nuff said!

lemongrove Wed 22-Dec-21 12:31:20

Calistemon

A sprout is for life, not just for Christmas

It all sounds rather Abigail's Party ?

Sounds more like a wartime idea to make food go further?
I bet the result tastes like something the dog coughed up.?

lemongrove Wed 22-Dec-21 12:32:56

rockgran

Thank you for saying "healthily" and not "eating healthy". ( I'm a bit fussy - some might say pedantic - about adverbs}. grin

Or worse....eat healthy!

Ethelwashere1 Wed 22-Dec-21 12:45:36

As someone with zero self discipline, Christmas is very bad for me. I can eat well on the 2 days but im not able to go back to sensible eating after boxing day. I just cannot throw away boxes of bicuits , boxes of chocs, tins of meat, crisps etc that i buy in case i have a visitor. I love baking but hate cooking meals, prepping veg is soo boring so i pick on a crisp sarnie with pickles etc. No way can i eat healthily at christmas

M0nica Wed 22-Dec-21 18:01:31

The sprouts are probably made from a mash of oats and grass, on the basis that if it is round and green you can kid yourself it is a real sprout.

The real sprouts are being used to make barrage balloons.

honcharenkoyevhen07 Wed 27-Jul-22 10:55:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Mamissimo Wed 27-Jul-22 10:57:32

Reported

henetha Wed 27-Jul-22 11:25:44

Back to sprouts. I love them and can eat them anytime, in spite of the little wind problem. I like just a bit of butter and pepper on them.

Georgesgran Wed 27-Jul-22 11:29:30

That’s reminds me - must get mine on to cook. Usually start 1st August, so they’ll be ready for the big day!

Actually, I love them, especially cold leftovers.

Nannan2 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:03:49

Calistamon- i have a christmas jumper with that on..?i love sprouts.anytime.one of my dd's does and her dd too.But none of the others in family ? I might try the sprout & parmesan thing.?

Keeper1 Fri 23-Sep-22 10:49:26

Just an aside but do think it is too early to put my sprouts on now for Christmas Day? grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 23-Sep-22 12:50:45

Healthy eating at Christmas?

The main thing I want to avoid is indigestion because I thought I was going to explode one year as I overdid it so much. I find it helps to sadly decline anything with pastry, so no mince pies or cheese straws.

I don't like sprouts. I've heard them referred to as 'devil's testicles'. grin

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 13:12:38

Nooooooooooo!
Too early for the C word!
PS the thread was ironic

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Sep-22 14:15:01

I love sprouts, I roast them in my airfryer with some balsamic and parmesan. Lovely and crispy. Wouldn't want them on sticks though. At Christmas or any other time.

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 14:18:43

It was ironic [digh]

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 14:19:12

[sigh]

Fleurpepper Fri 23-Sep-22 14:22:31

Just don't want to see the 'C' word until November!

Aldom Fri 23-Sep-22 14:29:51

Just seen this resurrected thread. I've noticed sprouts in the supermarket recently. This thread has made my mouth water. So off I go to buy sprouts to roast in my airfrier grin