Gransnet forums

Christmas

Too soon? The first Christmas 2022 post?

(33 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:27:11

Every year we go to see the Christmas lights in the gardens at Dunham Massey ( National Trust house and gardens in Cheshire). They are always stunning but not cheap! As DH and I usually end up paying for everyone it costs us well over £200. The tickets for this coming Christmas have gone on sale today!!! Surely that is months and months too early. I feel really angry, but if we leave it all the hours and days we could go will have been sold. And when I think of all the interest the NT will get for an entire year, it all seems just pure greed!

greenlady102 Sat 29-Jan-22 14:41:58

I think that organisations who sell tickets so early are reliant on those early sales to fund the actual event. they will have had to send out a lot during covid on maintenance that would usuall have been covered by day to day income....and they had a long stretch without any. The contractors get booked up and once booked will expect payment regardless which means that the organisations who host the displays will need to know before committing that they can at least cover their costs. sad but true.

greenlady102 Sat 29-Jan-22 14:42:18

not send out a lot, spend out a lot

V3ra Sat 29-Jan-22 15:07:46

We went to the Illuminated Trail at Belton House National Trust property last year and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.
Six adults, one child, one baby. It was £20 each and took us an hour and a half to slowly wander through the different areas in the grounds. Stunning lights and a wide range of music.
My mother-in-law (94) went in her wheelchair and cried all the way round, she enjoyed it so much!
One thing I did this time was to take some flasks of mulled wine and coffee for the adults afterwards while my granddaughter enjoyed the four traditional fairground rides.
Mulled wine was on sale: £6.50 a glass. That was a "no thank" you from me!

V3ra Sat 29-Jan-22 15:08:29

Oh and the email to book for next Christmas came today!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 31-Jan-22 14:19:42

Well why not? If the event is popular the tickets will be on sale early.

If you want to go to the famous New Year's Day concert in Vienna, I am not sure how early you have to book theses days, in the 1980s when I looked into it, they were taking bookings seven years (yes, that is right) in advance.

What about the Edinburgh Tattoo, you don't surely ring up on the afternoon of the day you want to go, do you?

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 14:48:40

I've just put a Christmas card on the mantelpiece!

Well, it was for Christmas 2021 but only arrived a couple of days ago from Australia and it's too pretty to put away
?

Lizbethann55 Mon 31-Jan-22 19:49:03

Bigbertha1 we are also close to Dunham Massey and that is our go to NT place. I fact we are taking our DGS there tomorrow before going to the ice cream place just outside.
The lights are spectacular and worth the money. Though, as with all these things, the weather can make a huge difference. We were so lucky when we went on a Sunday in December. There had been torrential rain for the two nights before and the night after, but the weather couldn't have been better our night.
I will be booking our tickets this week, because if we don't we won't get the dates and times we want. But I do resent having to book so early!