Gransnet forums

Christmas

The King's Speech

(316 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 26-Dec-22 07:20:35

What did you think? I caught up with it on iPlayer last night just to see how it went as it was his first Christmas speech, and I thought he did quite well.

I also thought it was a very good idea not to be filmed sitting at a desk surrounded by personal photos which could then be picked apart.

Calendargirl Mon 26-Dec-22 07:33:56

Haven’t watched it yet, but will do so.

I’m sure it was a polished performance, and Charles will be aiming to discreetly do many things differently to how the Queen did them.

notgran Mon 26-Dec-22 07:36:34

I have just watched it on iPlayer too. Like you I thought he did very well and being filmed in St Georges Chapel was a good 'move'. I do like the Royal Family and will always miss Queen Elizabeth II. I have not been a fan of Charles and Camilla but so far, I am starting to warm to them. It still seems very strange hearing and singing "God Save the King".

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Dec-22 07:42:37

I thought it was a good idea to be less formal and actually preferred this "format".
He seemed pretty relaxed to me and although I'm sure he had a script it sounded less scripted.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Dec-22 07:46:16

I should confess I was not someone who regularly watched The Queen and probably wouldn't have watched this if my Mother-in-law hadn't wanted to.

Iam64 Mon 26-Dec-22 08:25:01

King Charles seems to be moving easily into being head of state. I was I,pressed that his speech seemed to reflect his own beliefs, as expressed verbally and by his charities. I appreciated his positive comments and thanks to our public services. Well said that King

Baggs Mon 26-Dec-22 08:38:16

I'm another who usedn't to listen to the Queen's Speech, usually because I was doing something else when it was on. I listened to Charles's first and was impressed.

IrishDancing Mon 26-Dec-22 09:09:02

I listened to the Queen’s Speech last year for the first (and last …) time. I liked and admired her. Watched the King’s Speech on catch-up and thought he spoke well and sincerely.

Ziplok Mon 26-Dec-22 09:38:48

I thought it was a good speech.

Mollygo Mon 26-Dec-22 10:13:53

I thought it was good. I liked the change of setting and the content.
The first tweets about it were from naysayers but we’ve got to 10 on positive posts on GN.

winterwhite Mon 26-Dec-22 10:15:21

I liked it too. Thought he sounded more sincere than the queen often did and liked that he wasn’t shored up with photographs. He talked frankly of hardship in this country wh may have made some members of his govt feel awkward. I thought it would have impressed any teenagers obliged to watch by family pressure and that’s a positive thing.

nanna8 Mon 26-Dec-22 10:21:19

I liked it, I thought it was respectful and interesting. I didn’t watch the Queen’s speeches often, wasn’t keen on them.

mumofmadboys Mon 26-Dec-22 10:25:40

I liked his speech. I am definitely warming to him and feel he cares about people. I thought his references to our multi faith culture were good.

Witzend Mon 26-Dec-22 10:32:38

For once I watched it at 3 pm - was interested to see what he’d make of it. I thought he did it very well - but there’s already a thread on MN about his incorrect use of ‘myself’!

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Dec-22 10:40:22

I also liked that he wasn't wearing "Sunday best".
I thought using an older shirt and non-matching (and not white) pocket handkerchief was nice too.

henetha Mon 26-Dec-22 10:42:25

He did well, didn't he. It was warm without being too sentimental, and he made clear his interest in multi-cultural faith, and in the welfare of people.

62Granny Mon 26-Dec-22 11:02:05

I thought he "made it his own" without being overly different. We all know he doesn't share his mother's blind faith but it is more modern in his approach to religion which I agree with. I was waiting for a subtle reference towards H& M but I didn't pick up on any but I am sure others ( the press)
will.

Calendargirl Mon 26-Dec-22 11:21:52

As I said earlier, Charles is doing things ‘differently’ to how his mother did things, which is surely the way forward. He’s had a lot of time to think about how the role of King should evolve in a society far removed from 70 years ago.

I like the way he brings his wife into the equation, making it more about a partnership in a more modern age.

I like him.

biglouis Mon 26-Dec-22 11:31:05

I liked the speech as well as his references to the COL crisis and his tribute to essential workers. As another poster has remarked, this would probably bring a sly jolt of discomfort to some of his uncaring ministers who have no empathey with ordinary working people. The head of state may not be overtly political but he does have a right to "warn" and I believe Charles has gone as far as he constitutionally can to do this in his first speech.

biglouis Mon 26-Dec-22 11:32:11

empathey = empathy.

Baggs Mon 26-Dec-22 11:32:57

mumofmadboys

I liked his speech. I am definitely warming to him and feel he cares about people. I thought his references to our multi faith culture were good.

Yes. I liked those references too.

volver Mon 26-Dec-22 11:49:10

Couple of minutes about his mother - understandable.

Then a thank you to the armed forces. Made me think that this generation of royals needs to move forward a bit - the armed forces aren't the centre of everyone's lives anymore.

Couple of minutes reminding us about the dedication of people in public service. And trying to align himself and his family with those people.

"A time of great anxiety and hardship"...which he is doing nothing about except making charitable donations with other people's money and reminding us to be nice to each other. What's your government doing about it, Sir?

All those religious organisations providing support for those who need it? I'd rather his government did something about that.

Remember that character is "Are You Being Served" whose line was always "you've all done very well."

What did you think? Well, you did ask.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 26-Dec-22 11:53:55

I've just watched it on youtube and was impressed.

He sounded very sincere and had none of the stiff attitude his mother had for so many years, probably due to shyness, but she did tend to seem arrogant.

To start off with I wasn't too sure I liked the cuts to what looked like news flashes, but I can see that it would hold an appeal to the young, who grew up with colour tv and computers.

Very wise indeed to choose a background and concept so very different to his mother's!

Calendargirl Mon 26-Dec-22 12:04:06

Think your thoughts look to be in the minority so far Volver.

Caleo Mon 26-Dec-22 12:10:38

Referring to the lately dead queen being 'buried' close by was a mistake. The last bit about all faiths and none finding a common meaning was good.