Gransnet forums

Christmas

The Gransnet virtual Christmas party 2023

(88 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Dec-23 15:05:12

Welcome, everyone to our virtual Christmas party.

We have our incredibly tasteless decorations strung up, a plate of mince pies, and a vat of Baileys at the ready.

We know that for many reasons, some GNers might be spending the festive season on their own, so, if that's the case and you fancy some company - or if you just want to drop in away from the chaos of home, do join us. All are welcome.

Anything goes - from your favourite recipes, and worst festive jokes*, to TV and film recommendations. And if you let us know your favourite Christmas song, we'll add them all to a playlist.

So, grab your preferred beverage, don your cosiest jumper, and celebrate with your fellow GNers. Merry Christmas!

*What is Santa’s favourite pizza?
One that’s deep-pan, crisp and even.

MrsKen33 Tue 12-Dec-23 06:58:51

Oh yes please Oreo. Will you be wearing black and white? If so I will be a glorious counterfoil in orange and purple.

DanniRae Tue 12-Dec-23 07:49:04

Sorry to be a bit confused but when is the Christmas Party? Today or Christmas Day?
I was getting ready, with one leg in my home made sparkly tights, and I reread invite, thought best to remove leg from above, and check?
BTW turned off gas under my sprouts - secret recipe - no cocktail sticks involved - so no problem there. I can reheat if necessary smile

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Dec-23 07:57:32

I’ll bring the gin.

Aldom Tue 12-Dec-23 08:16:00

Thank you for the invite. I'm with family on Christmas day but I'll pop in to the party. Can't decide which Christmas jumper to wear. I have one with a sparkly Robin on the front, the other with two little dogs and mistletoe.

Aldom Tue 12-Dec-23 08:21:16

I'll bring a bottle of Advocaat and some lemonade so we can have Snowballs. Remember those? grin

Marydoll Tue 12-Dec-23 08:25:42

Aldom, I was in-famous for my snowballs, when as a student, I had a job as a barmaid.
I am happy to run the bar, especially as I have spent a lot of time in bars 😉

Parsley3 Tue 12-Dec-23 08:34:35

Oh yes, snowballs! I will bring the glasses with the wee Bambi.

TillyTrotter Tue 12-Dec-23 08:37:58

I will dig out Delia’s sausage roll recipe and make a pile.
They’re especially good for mopping up all the beverages that will be consumed.

Marydoll Tue 12-Dec-23 08:41:24

Parsley3

Oh yes, snowballs! I will bring the glasses with the wee Bambi.

Do you have any Babycham, Parsley? A brandy and Babycham is lethal, as I know to my cost. Once consumed, expect two days in your bed. I told my mother I had 'flu! wink

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Dec-23 08:42:50

Oh yes, we always have Snowballs at Christmas Marydoll. I'll bring some lime juice as just a little mixed with the Advocaat before adding the lemonade gives it a nice tang. I'll bring along Cocktail cherries to add a splash of colour, neatly arranged on cocktail sticks and balanced across the glass.

Aldom Tue 12-Dec-23 08:51:52

Ohhh yes! Marydol!! I remember Brandy and Babychan. I was 18 and at a Young Farmers party on a boat on Lake Ullswater. Not being used to alcohol I was drinking Babycham, or so I thought. The young farmers were ordering brandy and Babycham for me. The bar was below deck and when we went on deck and the fresh air hit me I was literally legless!! Remember that song Wide eyed and legless? That was me. grin

polomint Tue 12-Dec-23 09:02:12

Ooh I'd love a Babycham.....do you remember the advert with the wee bambi? I've got a box of rum truffles I'll bring them too

MJ67 Tue 12-Dec-23 16:56:00

What time is the virtual Christmas party?

Oreo Tue 12-Dec-23 20:19:14

Aldom

I'll bring a bottle of Advocaat and some lemonade so we can have Snowballs. Remember those? grin

Can we have a snowball fight? Do we throw the bottles or just the glasses?🍹🍹🍹

Oreo Tue 12-Dec-23 20:20:08

MJ67

What time is the virtual Christmas party?

It’s all the time between now and Xmas Day, cheers!

Oreo Tue 12-Dec-23 20:21:40

TillyTrotter

I will dig out Delia’s sausage roll recipe and make a pile.
They’re especially good for mopping up all the beverages that will be consumed.

I’d rather you made sausage rolls 🤪🥳

Oreo Tue 12-Dec-23 20:24:11

MrsKen33

Oh yes please Oreo. Will you be wearing black and white? If so I will be a glorious counterfoil in orange and purple.

Am in red and green, like an elf, a red sequin dress with green sparkly leggings and my bovver boots have red bells on.

Parsley3 Tue 12-Dec-23 20:35:04

Oh yes, brandy and Babycham .I was very unwell after too many of those.

MrsKen33 Tue 12-Dec-23 20:43:38

Oh I thought you would dress as an Oreo. Silly me, that’s ordinary for you isn’t it?

Oreo Tue 12-Dec-23 20:48:38

Yeah, far too ordinary, I dress as an Oreo every day of the week so need to look more festive for a party.
I love your orange hair and purple hot pants.

TillyTrotter Tue 12-Dec-23 22:40:00

Oreo 😁

Grannmarie Tue 12-Dec-23 22:52:19

Oh, I remember brandy and babycham, Marydoll! It was always a winter drink, cider and babycham was for the long, light summer nights at the caravan on the West Coast when the boys were wee. 🥂

Oreo Fri 15-Dec-23 21:53:37

Aldom

Ohhh yes! Marydol!! I remember Brandy and Babychan. I was 18 and at a Young Farmers party on a boat on Lake Ullswater. Not being used to alcohol I was drinking Babycham, or so I thought. The young farmers were ordering brandy and Babycham for me. The bar was below deck and when we went on deck and the fresh air hit me I was literally legless!! Remember that song Wide eyed and legless? That was me. grin

Is that a vat of Baileys over there? Think I’ll just put my head in it and suck it all up.
No I don’t remember that song Aldom, but if you hum it we’ll all join in.
There’s also a barrel of oak aged babycham in the corner provided by the Mods for us, anyone got a straw?

KimGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 17-Dec-23 16:02:40

Ooh, have you started? Chin, chin!

I've got a pile of mince pies - shop-bought, not homemade but I'll just stick them in the oven for ten minutes and no one will know...

TillyTrotter Sun 17-Dec-23 17:39:49

Thanks Kim I’ve arranged a box of 24 large bottles of coffee cream liqueur (ok it’s Bailey’s; trying to sound posh).
A muscle-bound man will be carrying it in shortly.
I’ll drop ice into a dozen glasses and pour, to start us off this evening.
Should go nicely with the mince pies.