Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Do you recognise yourself in your grandchild(ren)? Tell us and win a bundle of kids' books

(87 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:27:07

An expression? A mannerism? A fearless nature? A dimple? Tell us and we'll choose a winner at random to win a bundle of children's books.

Normal T&Cs apply. Competition closes midday on Wed 20th Jan.

GrAnne2 Sat 16-Jan-16 09:22:06

I'm fortunate to have lovely twin granddaughters (aged 2.5) and I often look for their mother's (my daughter)'s traits in them. It is laugh out loud funny when one of them demonstrates her dogged determination or compulsive tendencies. Then the other has her childhood jigsaw & puzzle mania ... One looks a lot like me (which daughter did too). When you observe two developing alongside each other I think you just really marvel that, no matter how much we (vainly!) see some of our own qualities reflected back at us, the miracle is how unique & individual they are from the get go.

tiredoldwoman Sat 16-Jan-16 10:07:39

My Grand daughter is turning into me and I'm worried about it . I was an outgoing child up until about 12 then turned into a shy recluse . I can see it happening to her - oh dear , I'd hoped she'd continue her joyous adventure grabbing opportunities that I let sadly pass me by .
Maybe I need to shake myself , maybe it's not too late , maybe we'll go on an adventure together . I love that wee girl so much that I could burst !!

teepee55 Sat 16-Jan-16 11:09:39

I have one 2 year old granddaughter and already she reminds me of myself when I was very young. Very agile, friendly and absolutely loves books. I was a bit of a tomboy, enjoyed being outdoors and loved splashing in puddles. Also she has a mind of her own, but then don't all children!

gillybob Sat 16-Jan-16 13:39:36

I recognise myself in my middle granddaughter who is 7 soon to be 8.

She has a crazy imagination and an almost wicked sense of humour. She has picked up some of my sayings and mannerisms and my son tells me she often quotes me at home. On the other hand she has a few silly sayings that I now use too, the most recent being " Grandma are you having a Giraffe?" smile

(meaning are you having a laugh/kidding)

Rhonab Sat 16-Jan-16 14:03:01

Although I think she looks like her dad, our DGD takes after my side of the family (and me) with her wicked sense of fun, she just loves to entertain us all, and she absolutely loves drawing, painting and music. She is only a new 2 and I can't wait to see how she developed in the years to come. ?

salty12 Sat 16-Jan-16 15:50:07

The biggest thrill for me being an expectant Grandma was when my daughter told me the scan of my Granddaughter had the same profile as me!

Anya Sat 16-Jan-16 16:57:10

Oh yes, I can see bits of myself in all my grandchildren. A look here, an expression there, a sudden exchange of smiles as we both share a moment of connection, a shared interest; luckily they take after OH's side of the family in looks grin

downtoearth Sat 16-Jan-16 17:43:50

only 1 .resident teenager ....can see no resemblance at all ..

Ana Sat 16-Jan-16 18:02:45

Oh, come on downtoearth, she's obviously got your resilience and determination! smile

My two GDs are as different in personality as they are alike in looks (twins) and both have my dimples. But in one of them I can see shades of the younger me, and I sometimes think I understand her better than her own mum does...

downtoearth Sat 16-Jan-16 18:09:38

well we both have a fat a**e...grin....and as cussed as each other.

milli Sat 16-Jan-16 18:59:08

My grandson uses the same hand movements as I do to express himself.

GrannieBumble Sat 16-Jan-16 20:23:53

My father had 2 slightly webbed toes, I have them as does my DD and 2 of my three GC's ! Four generations !!

Alima Sat 16-Jan-16 21:59:38

Our youngest DGD so reminds me of my younger self. Up to all sorts, into everything, really happy little soul.

Issy11 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:16:09

they are just like me as few are up coming teenager or already teenagers and there attitude is just how mine is so i really wish i didn't have to tell them off for it because i was really like it and they all like arty things just like me we sit at my big table as I have so many grand kids and kids my kids have grown up and flown the nest my fascicle features on all of them and every one that knows us and nice people are always saying how much i look like them and someone of them think i'm the oldest one MUM

empire Sun 17-Jan-16 00:03:01

It's strange really, because my GDs look like their dad, my son, and he looks like me, but I don't think they look like me at all!

blackbis5 Sun 17-Jan-16 01:47:58

My grandson appears to have my sense of humour. Although he has only just turned 1, whenever I cough or sneeze, he mimics it as if he is taking the mickey

flossy1973 Sun 17-Jan-16 07:53:16

A loud infectious laugh!!

pamelaJEAN Sun 17-Jan-16 08:01:17

I have 5 grandchildren, however Jodie who is 11, is so much like me, not so much looks wise, but she has a really stubborn streak, sad to say, she is a sore loser like me, and does not like coming second. On a nicer note she loves animals just like me, she is a clever girl and knows her times tables off by heart, not like me. I love all my grandchildren but Jodie reminds me so much of a young me.

sweir1 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:13:53

i recognise my grumpy husband in them!

katiefish Sun 17-Jan-16 09:12:16

i see her smile is the same as her grandads, nothing of me so far but she is only 11 months

goose1964 Sun 17-Jan-16 10:15:58

we have a photo of me & GS2 at the same age & we could be twins (non identical of course) on the other hand GS1 is the image of his father

angieburgess Sun 17-Jan-16 10:21:49

I recognise different aspects of me in my GC my GS aged 9 worries constantly and has a very low self esteem and my GD aged 7 constantly tries to please and is good at Maths. They can both be stubborn.

grannyactivist Sun 17-Jan-16 12:24:50

All of my grandchildren are book lovers like me. My eldest grandchild reminds me of me when I was younger; an old head on young shoulders - I miss her very much. (Her mother went away and cut off all contact.)

SG99 Sun 17-Jan-16 12:35:51

I absolutely loved books when I was younger and my grandchildren are the same

handbar Sun 17-Jan-16 16:28:46

I have not noticed any mannerisms but we are all keen on sport.