Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Win £100 John Lewis voucher with The Lion Inside

(280 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Jun-16 10:41:18

From the creator of the known and loved Bright Side lifestyle brand, Rachel Bright, and illustrator of Oi Frog!, Jim Field, comes a feel good rhyming story about one little mouse trying to make himself heard and discovering along the way that even the smallest of us can have the heart of a lion.

The Lion Inside is perfect for fans of Giraffes Can't Dance. This stylish book from two contemporary stars really is something to shout about - it will make you laugh, cry and want to read it every bedtime.

Share your tips for boosting confidence in small children on this thread below for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher and a signed copy of The Lion Inside.

This competition ends midday on 8 July 2016.

The Lion Inside can be purchased online and from all good booksellers.

Lovingmum Thu 07-Jul-16 23:25:45

It's important to listen carefully to what they are trying to say and not dismiss things or laugh at them. Always tell them everyday how brilliant they are, and how proud you are of them!

jamielmdjs Thu 07-Jul-16 23:37:50

praise even the littlest of things. don't help too much - let them try things for themselves. comfort when things don't go well but encourage trying again and again.

clarabella3 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:01:44

plenty of praise and encouragement.

nicole101 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:24:32

Let them know that you are listening to them and will always be there when they need your support.

Thesplan2 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:38:23

Children mirror their parents - a confident happy parent will invariably nurture a confident happy child! Make them feel as if they matter - their thoughts feelings and opinions - in this way your child will naturally gain confidence because they will feel they are worthy. Cake helps too !! ;)

Alaw11 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:40:59

children learn what they live. If you give them praise and have patience they will be confident and be tolerant. I try to make sure my children know it's ok not to be the best just to try your best.

walnut Fri 08-Jul-16 04:25:08

simply be there for them and cuddle and listen to them let them feel the love and support for them it makes a world of difference

Hannahread Fri 08-Jul-16 06:51:37

Listen to what they are saying, don't talk down to children, And answer their questions as openly as possible. Children respond to respect.

Bellroyd Fri 08-Jul-16 07:06:32

Encourage them and let them know it's OK if they make a mistake. Don't always jump in and finish their sentence for them.

Piggypoo Fri 08-Jul-16 07:22:13

We always encourage the kids to have an opinion on any topic, and to feel included in conversations, that it is OK to ask questions without fear of being put down. smile

bex552 Fri 08-Jul-16 08:10:21

Don't put too much pressure on them and always listen to their concerns

jacqroberts Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:25

Tell them how well they are doing and how hard they are trying.

manfalou Fri 08-Jul-16 09:40:06

Lots of praise, don't pull them down, lots of comorting

emmafifema78 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:06:30

The key to building confidence in children is to make them feel good about themselves, so rewarding good behaviour is key to this. Star charts are a good thing to introduce at an early age, children love to be fully involved in this as they see the stars/stickers building up over the days/weeks and know they will be rewarded at the end of a certain period - it builds confidence within them and encourages good behaviour at the same time. Also encouraging children to participate in group/social activities is great for confidence building. Children who don't participate in such activities are more likely to have confidence issues as they're not socially aware, they don't know how to interact with others and become shy and withdrawn. It's really important that they learn how to socialize and interact with their own age group as well as older children and adults xx

minilynn3 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:14:32

Always remind children that you love them even when they have had to be told off. Listen carefully to what a child has to say and give praise for all the good things they do and say because there is always something to praise them for and this will build confidence!

sandrab Fri 08-Jul-16 11:17:48

Allow your child the opportunity to contribute

It is important that children get opportunities to do things that are genuinely useful & appreciated

Household chores are a great way to give children responsibility. It gives parents the chance to say "thanks" or "well done". Children like to feel helpful and useful.

christina221 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:39:11

Make sure you're always telling them how much you love them and how special they are. Praise them whenever they do well and encourage them to feel proud of themselves. Get them to try new things and be themselves when making friends and going new places. Let them know they're capable of anything they set their mind to.

mimicat1 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:52:14

Show them. My son had trouble writing stories so as we sat in the garden I told him that was one of the easiest things... I told him to look at the shed. I saw two eyes (the windows) hair (the ivy growing on top and a big smile the geraniums growing in the box at the bottom what did he see? He smiled and unleashed his confidence. Later he went to Uni studying English Lit etc.

natalielara123 Fri 08-Jul-16 14:05:01

I like to encourage and praise and not focus too much on things that the child finds difficult. Every little thing that needs boosting, I focus on with phrases like, "Good job". "See how well you're doing?" "You're such a big girl now" x

chirag12 Fri 08-Jul-16 14:52:20

Listen to what they are saying and engage with dialogue. if possible action on what they are saying

maria08k Fri 08-Jul-16 14:52:38

Give praise where praise should be given...it not only boosts their confidence but also makes them eager to please again.

cathyov Fri 08-Jul-16 15:40:03

I always encouraged my children to do their best; as long as they try their hardest or put in the work - coming first or being the best is not what it is all about. I think growing up with this made them confident in all aspects of life.

shaddai88 Fri 08-Jul-16 17:14:37

Treat them with lots of love, care,respects and discipline when there is a need but must alays explain to him/her why you are discilpined.

Shscc1 Fri 08-Jul-16 17:27:07

Don't force your ambitions on to them - my sister did this, as she always wanted to work in the beauty industry, and never got the opportunity. My niece followed this path to college to please her Mum - but, eventually was found in tears because she wanted to do something different.
I guess that I am lucky to have older sisters in as much that I did a lot of 'back seat' learning watching them parenting.
Incidently, they did a lot of things right, too, and are great parents .. but, we all get it wrong sometimes xx
Anyhow, my niece is now trainng to be a social worker, and loves it xx

Mobrien3737 Fri 08-Jul-16 21:54:01

Let them know they were BORN THIS WAY!!