Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win our fantastic prize bundle worth almost £1,000!

(509 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-16 13:12:01

Running throughout October, we're offering you the chance to win this amazing prize (all details HERE

To be entered into the draw simply leave a memory of your own grandparents on this thread. Usual terms and conditions apply.

suzy1 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:48:07

After the second World War, Mum and Dad had no where to live, and with three small children we were offered a temporary home with my grandparents in a small tiny terraced house in Middlesex. It had no central heating or hot water , so the kettle was always on the range for hot water. No indoor toilet or bathroom, if we needed the loo at night, we either had a pot under the bed or froze going out into the garden for the outdoor toilet. We stayed for 5 years and my sisters and I never felt deprived of anything that todays youngsters expect as the "norm".

mrsmonkey Sat 01-Oct-16 15:51:43

I remember my Nana always telling me not to take the chocolate from the mouse trap, it was only for mice....they always had problems with mice, but I never saw one and still think it funny that they too loved chocolate almost as much as I do.

maryandbuzz1 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:54:01

I loved riding on my Grandads feet. I would cling on with my feet on top of his and he would walk around. When he was tired he would say he had a bone in his leg and I had to get off.

sophie56 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:58:40

My Grandma on my mother's side was a wonderful woman and I have such happy memories of being at her house. She had a wonderful long garden with trees along its length and we used to make tents/dens with blankets and sheets and Grandma used to bring out Shepherd's pie on a tray,ring our bell and wait until we said 'enter' to come in. I did the same with my son and my Grandchildren.

jt75 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:02:07

Walking back from the cinema with my grandad, eating chips. Our secret. My mum wouldn't allow me to eat in the street.

Ara Sat 01-Oct-16 16:13:44

my grandaprents used to look after me when my mum went to work in the 1970s, which was quite unusual even then for single mums to go out to work, thye used to play eye spy, take me for nature walks, take me to their friends, eat chocolate and just generally awesome

shysal Sat 01-Oct-16 16:24:25

My grandparents on my mother's side were both rather eccentric. I didn't see them often, but my main memories are of Granny hanging out her tea bags to dry for re-use, and seeing Grandpa cycling through Scarborough with a wooden mantelpiece he had found washed up on the beach over his shoulder.

greenfinger5 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:27:37

My grandparents were lovely, they were kind & sweet, at Christmas they gave us a sackful of presents & spoiled us rotton.. I miss them both dearly... rip to you both.

GrAnne2 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:28:05

My Scottish granny & grandpa used to take me on memorable trips 'doon the watter', which involved a steam train from Glasgow to Helensburgh followed by a day trip on a boat round the islands and some time on the beach (weather permitting). In my memories the weather was always kind and I returned home with a stick of rock & a tiny crab in a jam jar or some seashells - absolutely priceless memories!

joannapiano Sat 01-Oct-16 16:31:27

My family lived with my Nan until I was 6, while we waited for a house on our Estate to come up for rent.My parents and my brother were in one bedroom while I shared a bed with Nan in the other. There was no bathroom and an outside loo.
I remember her getting ready for bed by unlacing her pink corsets and the creak as she got in beside me. I felt so safe with her.

Dormouse1940 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:32:57

Oh Tanith, thanks for your post- it made me well up at the mention of the snapdragons: my grandparents had an abundance (Well, so it seemed to me when I was tiny) growing in front of their bungalow and I used to love making the snapdragons open their mouths!
What a memory- and the sun was always shining in their garden, too! x

Jinky2 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:33:23

My grandparents lived in Berkshire and we lived in the Midlands so in that day and age (1940's/1950's)visiting them was quite an adventure in itself. Grampy was head gardener for Lady Sassoon but being very young myself I wasn't interested in gardening so didn't feel very connected to him. However, Gran was very loving and caring and what sticks in my mind most about her was the fact that she always had unsliced brown bread which she buttered before slicing. She always managed to get her slices quite thin and even using just a bread knife. How on earth did she manage that?!

Dormouse1940 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:36:19

Ah, lots of memories. The overriding memory of my paternal grandparents is a feeling of warmth. They always had a sweetie and I think we got a bit spoiled when we were round!
We didn't see much of them as my parents moved away when we were small, which I think made visits much more significant and memorable. My gran had a big dark dresser and I remember always looking at the selection of ornaments (which I don't think varied from the time i was born til she passed away) including a few small black and white pictures, and topped off by a pair of victorian china fire dogs.

renaplumridge Sat 01-Oct-16 16:39:13

My grandparent died before I was born, shame I never knew them

Luckygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 16:40:12

Two Grannies

Back to Seaside Granny’s, piling sand and wet towels on the hall floor,
Splashing wet feet across her carpet
Dumping buckets and spades on the back step.
And then there is food – always food.
For she eats like a demon, this tiny bird-like Granny of mine.
Roast potatoes shining in china dishes,
Meat, meat, meat, glistening with fat.
Vegetables, sad and limp and dead and boiled
And boiled
And boiled.
And gravy, great seas of gravy
Brown beyond all reason.
And pudding, boiled and lumpy and bliss.
With custard, boiled and lumpy and bliss.
Bath now and bed, no arguing, my mother says.
I creep past the kitchen.
The kitchen where Grandad’s ghost lives.
Where his body lay.
Where it draped from the oven.
Chest on the tiles
Arms on the tiles
Legs on the tiles
Feet on the tiles
Head in the blessed gas with its promise of a new life.
For she nags like a demon, this tiny bird-like Granny of mine.

Fat London Granny hides in her basement,
The garden an air-raid shelter,
The scullery reeking of gas.
Cheese moulds green in the food safe and bright green greens bubble on the stove.
Beneath us the forbidden cellar
Cold, terrifying, dark, musty and echoing.
And irresistible.
Full of treasures
And mystery
And danger.
We play with the mangle – mind your fingers
We play with the knife-grinder – mind your fingers
We take our saved fingers up the stairs
Here is the street door and the room where I was born
And upstairs
Here is the bathroom with its dragon geyser
And upstairs
Here the lodger hides in her unlit room
Tasseled green velvet tablecloth and sewing machine.
Best behaviour here, nod and smile and touch nothing
And pray for escape.
And upstairs
Granny’s room where Dad was born and Grandad died
Clawing at the incontinent sheets.
And upstairs
The attic room where we sleep.
Be quiet now, go to sleep.
But we lean from the window, scanning the rooftops and the smoking chimneys,
Our Mary Poppins world.
A helter-skelter of a house.
Built higgledy-piggledy room upon room
Into the sky.
Our adventure.

iwanawinsumat Sat 01-Oct-16 16:40:29

My Granddad was a circus clown with my great uncle, they were called The Finch Brothers, they also did Punch and Judy shows. Together they toured the country and entertained all the children at the local Galas and Christmas parties. They were always great fun to be around. Unfortunately I was only 6 when he passed away.

Miriam Sat 01-Oct-16 16:44:38

My grandmother had a wonderful button box which we were allowed to rummage through. My grandfather always wore a bow tie and if he thought nobody was watching he let me have a sip of his beer. I did not really like it then and I still do not like beer now!

worriedmum Sat 01-Oct-16 16:54:32

My granny was an adventurous soul. Only 4ft 10 she travelled a cross Europe on a train with her best friend to meet up with my grandad who was posted there. She used to take us up to London on the train. She walked so fast we struggled to keep up with her. She made the best cakes ever and always made us a special cake for our birthdays.

israrbaig Sat 01-Oct-16 17:05:15

I still remember when i was 1-2 being carried by my Father's Dad rocking me to sleep, my far-thus memory

creativeness Sat 01-Oct-16 17:08:21

I have good memories of my maternal grandfather when I was sent to stay with granny and Grandpa and we went for a drive in his Armstrong -Siddley at around 15 mph I think he was known as the Surrey crawler! Life was certainly slower paced then.He only survived WW1thanks to his quick thinking Batman who rescued him as his horse had fallen on him.So I guess I was lucky to have known him for a short while.

grandmac Sat 01-Oct-16 17:08:24

My maternal grandparents came to look after me while my Mum spent nearly a month in hospital following my sister's birth by Ceasarian section. My Grandad was a Victorian gentleman complete with moustache, waistcoat and watch chain, but he was surprisingly gentle and understanding whenever I got upset at my Mum's long absence. My Grandma was a great beauty when young with glorious hair worn in multiple curled waves. But when I knew her she was short and round and always wore a 'pinny' and introduced us grandchildren to digestive biscuits layered with jam. I loved them dearly.

yourgrace123 Sat 01-Oct-16 17:23:16

Lost mine so long ago there are but a vague memory

earnshaw Sat 01-Oct-16 17:32:01

my grandparents were your typical northern stock, they worked in cotton mills with very loud looms where you had to lip read to converse, my gran wore a cross over pinny and grey hair with a bun , i never saw her with anything but a bun but she must have had long grey hair

granh1 Sat 01-Oct-16 17:32:12

I didn't know my grandparents on my fathers side as they died before I was born. However they left a lot of memorabilia, so I felt I new them a little - I would have loved to have met them!

peterhall Sat 01-Oct-16 17:32:54

Absolutely no first hand knowledge as all four had died before I was born. Just a few stories told by my parents