Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win Learning Resources goodies worth over £200 *NOW CLOSED*

(391 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Jun-20 09:44:24

We've teamed up with educational toy and games company Learning Resources to offer a fantastic bundle of prizes to one gransnetter worth over £200 - perfect for grandchildren who are being homeschooled.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th July.

During the coronavirus lockdown, many grandparents have (virtually) stepped in to support parents and children with home learning. It’s been an important way to stay connected but it’s also been a huge help to parents.

So to enter simply tell us... What have you found has worked for your grandchildren with home learning, and has this, and having to stay in touch virtually in general, changed your relationships with your grandchildren?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

tillysouth Thu 09-Jul-20 10:43:36

link normal household tasks into their home schooling eg shopping, cooking, gardening

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 09-Jul-20 11:22:35

My 6 year old GS (with Down Syndrome) loves to count - my lego bricks, my clothes pegs, play doh creatures he cuts - whatever you put in front of him he'll count! But the figure 7 does not exist! (The wee soul can't say it). He also loves to 'read' simple words on the black board - that is after he has scribbled numbers over it!

dahlia08 Thu 09-Jul-20 11:59:17

Sing along, play along, work along watch along and eat along. Keep everything fun, short bright.. fun is most important

buzylizzy Thu 09-Jul-20 12:05:02

They have struggled with home learning but are giving it their best shot unfortunately the younger ones have seriously missed Granny and Grandad which has caused a bit of upset as they couldn't understand why they couldn't visit us like normal.They do love their online chats with us and we have sent treats to them now and again so they have adapted.

granbabies123 Thu 09-Jul-20 12:29:15

I started a silly story with granchildren on whats app and they took turns alternatively with me adding the next piece. Grandad kept looking up historical facts about colchester where they live and doing DID YOU KNOW items with them.

Leerongran Thu 09-Jul-20 12:58:49

Mine have benefitted from having a more relaxed routine , have still done school work but have had different learning opportunities like cooking with gran on a zoom call!

NanaPlenty Thu 09-Jul-20 13:29:46

We kept in touch by FaceTime and now we can meet up again. The kids have been very good at understanding about Corona although we all miss hugging. They have had a nice balance of work and play at home, when we visit I try and simply give them time to chat or learn something new and take some pressure off of mum and dad.

greig23 Thu 09-Jul-20 13:30:30

rOUTINE, morning walk then schooling for a few hours lunch then some more then its family time

SueB20 Thu 09-Jul-20 14:09:40

We've been reading together via Whatsapp. The two sets of grandchildren also help each other as well, if one of them is stuck on a subject or topic they put a message on the group chat and ask if anyone can help.

Boxy Thu 09-Jul-20 14:13:05

Using apps on the iPad to make learning fun. We have read more stories in lockdown than we ever did before

gracie1956 Thu 09-Jul-20 14:22:02

not doing to much of a routine more relaxed and even little lessons based on ply is good at lots of praise

maureen118 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:19:55

being available and happy giving time to help with no pressure.

Patticake123 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:22:24

I think teaching my grandchildren English has had some benefits but it isn’t all rosy. I have been using zoom and the BBC bitesize as the daily lesson plan. I have interspersed the activities with star jumps, running around the kitchen etc. to help their concentration. Initially it was all great fun, the novelty of Nanny being the teacher was a great motivator and the children worked hard. As the time has progressed, they are more easily distracted, and I am finding it much harder to maintain their interest in what look like very interesting lessons. Expecting a young child to sit in front of the screen for an hour is asking too much of them. It is very difficult to assess any written work they have completed as it is difficult to read it as they wave it around in front of the camera. I do hope our relationship isn’t adversely affected by this period but I fear they now see me as ‘Nanny who makes us work’ rather than ‘Nanny whom we have fun with’. Time will tell. I was a very experienced college and university lecturer, but teaching young children is a completely different skill set to that needed for teaching adults.

LullyDully Thu 09-Jul-20 16:51:13

I found a pile of unused post cards, which I have sent weekly, one each. They have looked forward to their arrival and put them on the kitchen windows. They have served as a talking point. This week they had a picture of the Mary Rose and one of Nelson to mull over.

daisybooh Thu 09-Jul-20 17:02:51

Routine fun times and praise

antheaholloway Thu 09-Jul-20 18:20:31

My grandchildren are doing the usual school work but they are also learning to touch-type via an internet app and this has helped them no end and made them really interested and excited about composing and typing their own stories.

Beccaxxx Thu 09-Jul-20 18:24:24

I'm so layed back we are going with the flow and everything we do I'm trying to turn it in to learning a walk turns in to a nature hunt watching TV turns in to counting and colours singing and dancing in the kitchen is our drams lesson making slime is our science lesson. A story wrote at the end of the day called our day which is English lots of laughs and lots of fun in between we are all doing the best we can in a weird situation

hedgie Thu 09-Jul-20 19:19:04

We realise how much
We've missed the touch..
Of one anothers hand
While it's been banned.
And more so, a hug,
a playfight on the rug...
All the things we shared
That showed we much we care.
But children keep learning,
And we'll be returning
We'll be back on form
In what's called the new norm!

MrsHappy Thu 09-Jul-20 19:44:37

I am English and history teacher and Grampy has been maths and science. Mom and Dad were activity learning as obviously they were with the GC. We worked out a timetable between us trying to keep to the work varied with relaxing and fun activities. I think we have been successful, we have actually spent more time chatting with the children one to one. GD said they didn't know Grampy was so clever! No mention of my cleverness thoughgrin.

lucerysmum Thu 09-Jul-20 21:57:25

One to one learning has really helped - and lots of positive praise ..........and plenty of snack breaks !

jaizko Thu 09-Jul-20 22:55:56

Both of my granddaughters are pre-schoolers, so home learning hasn't been needed.

sheemy Thu 09-Jul-20 22:58:12

combining learning and play

ikkle87 Thu 09-Jul-20 23:01:34

For home learning we've created an area away from distractions like tv and toys and games (apart from a few educational ones which have been a life saver) we've stuck to a routine and kept tasks short so as to not lose focus.

We've had a few video chats on the phone although the obsession with different face filters takes up a lot of time, especially the foot shaped or moustache filter.

1969angep Thu 09-Jul-20 23:41:19

We’re remembering to do some of the life skills as well as the school work. Lots of baking, dishwasher loading and helping change the bedding! Not pushing it on days where it’s “nit happening” either!

Elrel Fri 10-Jul-20 01:07:34

Spending weekends with their father who cooks and gardens with them and takes them for country walks.
Their wonderful schools which have welcomed them back and reassured them when they worried.