Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win Learning Resources goodies worth over £200 *NOW CLOSED*

(391 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Jun-20 09:44:24

We've teamed up with educational toy and games company Learning Resources to offer a fantastic bundle of prizes to one gransnetter worth over £200 - perfect for grandchildren who are being homeschooled.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th July.

During the coronavirus lockdown, many grandparents have (virtually) stepped in to support parents and children with home learning. It’s been an important way to stay connected but it’s also been a huge help to parents.

So to enter simply tell us... What have you found has worked for your grandchildren with home learning, and has this, and having to stay in touch virtually in general, changed your relationships with your grandchildren?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

elizabethmae Fri 10-Jul-20 04:30:23

encouraging their curiosity by keeping things fun and enjoyable, knowing when to stop.

Sarah1271 Fri 10-Jul-20 07:06:19

Just enjoying doing there reading and praising them

lauracree Fri 10-Jul-20 07:29:05

lots of face time and using pictures when not on facetime

chr1ssy0908 Fri 10-Jul-20 07:58:30

A timetable to establish a routine, but we kept ours varied but regular with plenty of short “downtime” breaks in between (for them & us!! ?)

rexy0101 Fri 10-Jul-20 08:14:50

Keep a routine as similar to school. Google how to do their homework before you attempt to teach them, especially fractions!.
Having to teach them and see them virtually is hard and frustrating, you just want to give them a massive hug

bookmark77 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:27:40

With some tasks on the internet , it's been the kids that's been teaching me

dahville Fri 10-Jul-20 09:38:09

I think there has been a great effort in our family to stay in touch more, especially by zoom/facetime/Skype and by posting pics of everyday activities on SM. In times when we haven’t been able to get together we have gathered virtually.

yd1556 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:55:50

My younger grandchildren have especially loved being able to take time to explore a topic rather than having a time restriction before moving on to a different subject. My just 5-year-old grandson (2nd July) has done so well with his reading and numeracy that a phone call from his school, yesterday, advised that he will be going into the higher Year 1/2 class when he returns to school in September. It has been great to have the technology to be able to have FaceTime, Messenger video calls and zoom to be able to keep in touch too, although I think our young ones are probably more adept at using them than I am!

soniabernadette60 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:54:44

I have been giving them work to do on Whatsapp, then when they have finished we play a game or eat something nice before the next lesson.

isabellasgreatnan Fri 10-Jul-20 13:17:51

Making learning fun , adapt it to your children's interests. Lockdown learning has at least freed up the world of learning so it is more flexible.

jen0987 Fri 10-Jul-20 13:40:53

Just try And keep the activities and excerices fun and the children will more want to do them

grannybiker Fri 10-Jul-20 14:13:36

Our grandchildren have been doing many more practical learning tasks which works well for their learning style.
They love telling us in Messenger video calls.

moonlightlady2 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:20:29

facetiming my daughter has been a godsend to her and me , as she has struggled with homeschooling so she has facetimed me for help and i have helped my grandson with some of his work that way . she has done lots of hands on work that he has enjoyed such as baking and lots of crafts. if they couldnt compete a task they gave up for a while and moved on to something more fun for a while then went back to what they were stuck on

pinkjj27 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:10:56

Have clear aims and objectives and learning outcomes that are realistic. Kids need to know the expectation and having out comes keeps thing on track.
Make learning fun and remember a child learns better if they are actually involved in the learning rather than a passive learner.
Match the teaching method to the child’s learning style. Some kids are visual learners, some audio learners’ and some kinaesthetic leaners. Most are mixture. This becomes very evident as you teach them.
Keep track of their learning in a simple chart and make sure they see their improvement. Kids need to see their progress this can be as simple as you have learned five new words this week. Always be positive and turn a negative into a positive .

I helped out a lot in home schooling on line in lockdown and still am. No this didn’t change my relationship with any of them, I Am a teacher and have taught all my grandkids from reception to GCSE as some point.

debndave999 Fri 10-Jul-20 17:03:33

By not spending too much time in one session, and trying to make things fun.

adamharding2 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:21:38

More creative activities to keep them more focussed and interested

AJL123 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:38:41

We have found that a routine is good but also to be flexible depending on mood and weather. We have done a lot of nature walks and maths games. We have enjoyed using the technology to keep in touch.

Tete Fri 10-Jul-20 18:59:07

Making it fun and bringing the outside in, on their daily walks I told them items to collect pine cones, leaves etc, then I use to do a Nature come art class with them over the internet it was great fun they loved it I loved it we laughed and chatted away together and hopefully they learnt a few things and we made some lovely things together, I’ve embraced FaceTime so much in these times before I rarely did it now it’s part of the daily routine love it

Watermaid Fri 10-Jul-20 19:18:00

mine are still little, so making it fun and having a soft routine that is still flexible has been a way forward, also found story telling was a favourite, good practice for sitting still and listening. Lots of giggles so must be doing something right

Marionp1 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:21:45

Getting their school work done in the mornings, leaving them free to do some craft or play outside and then a longer walk in the evening after tea, they are lucky to have some wooded areas close by. We have contacted each other via video messaging especially when home working parents needed them to be diverted for a while during on line work meetings, we have remained very close but all miss those hugs!

Agwilson Fri 10-Jul-20 19:47:04

Sharing bed time stories over FaceTime has been so lovely. Our grandsons aged 8 and 6 have been more willing to read, the older one reading a chapter per night about a cabbage loving Grandma! They compare this to me which we all laugh about. The younger one reading a short book. Pure joy to share this time, blow a goodnight kiss and see Mum tuck them up in bed safe and sound.

kazzycomp12 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:34:22

having fun working through problems

jacqui21 Fri 10-Jul-20 21:47:21

Breaks, treats to work towards. Encouragement and praise. Learning together

Jeanetteleighton1979 Fri 10-Jul-20 22:00:30

Learning through play like counting songs and the alphabet , keeping it as exciting as possible and lots of praise

Hooble Fri 10-Jul-20 22:12:04

I think it's been important to provide a range of activities. Ones that help develop reading fluency, creativity and imagination. What's also important is to ensure they are up to date with working on computers and using things like coding. I wish I'd had the Coding Robot from Learning Resources to help my children.
We've also been outdoors gardening the Kidnoculars would have helped them to look really closely at the bugs and flowers and leaves in the garden.