Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you watching the Prime Minister speaking live on news channels?

(286 Posts)
POGS Mon 16-Mar-20 16:56:33

Simply that.

Are you watching to hear from the most reliable source.

vegansrock Fri 20-Mar-20 22:11:17

Well whatever he says some people will think is wonderful, I haven’t criticised his appearance btw. He didn’t close pubs- that was the right thing according to the fan club. Now he’s closed them a couple of days later and that’s marvellous despite the fact we’ve said he should have closed them to start with. Ditto schools. Expecting people to “do the right thing” when we know a lot won’t is too trusting. In the middle of next week it will be London lockdown when it should be now. It’s covering up for the inadequacies in the health and social care system. Drip feeding the masses.

Hetty58 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:44:22

It's all delayed, far too little and too late to prevent a catastrophe. What's happening now should have been done two weeks ago.

The virus is out there, free to infect a frightening number of people. With no testing, though, we have no idea how many.

There won't be enough capacity at hospitals, funeral homes or crematoriums. Emergency burial powers will come into force.

Labaik Fri 20-Mar-20 23:08:57

The closure of pubs etc should have been with immediate effect. I dread to think how many people will contract the virus because of a last hurrah night out. And every one of those people will infect many others.

Eloethan Sat 21-Mar-20 01:31:31

I think it was a pretty good package too. However, from what commentators have said on various news channels, the rest of Europe is providing similar, and in some cases better, funding.

It does not cancel out the fact that the austerity regime has undermined all our public services - the services that we so desperately need to function properly now. In the case of the NHS, as doctors have been warning for years, the lack of sufficient staff, equipment and beds, all done in the name of cost-cutting, is already having a profoundly negative effect on the physical and mental health, and the morale, of those stressed and exhausted people working in the service.

It is only sensible to try and retain businesses and their workers, in an attempt to ward off a dreadful recession. It does not indicate that this government is suddenly developing a conscience but that it is an economic necessity, which may also be necessary to ward off the inevitable public unrest that would arise if people were left without financial support in a situation which is not of their making and over which they have had no control.

POGS You mean raise the tone of the debate a bit by making a jolly comment, something akin to the "last gasp" remark, or have your father demonstrate how seriously he takes your stern-faced request that "vulnerable and older people" maintain social distance by announcing he is off down the pub?

This is very much a political matter. NHS doctors, including consultants, and nurses and other staff have been warning for the last ten years that the NHS is so under-resourced it would find it almost impossible to cope if there was some sort of pandemic. Politicians chose to ignore it.

To my mind, one of the major issues in this crisis is that there has been hardly any testing. It appears that in the UK only people who are seriously ill and who receive treatment in hospital are tested and form part of the figures. So we have no idea of the true figure of those who have had the virus and who are, experts think, likely to now be immune. Surely, when planning strategy, it is important to know this sort of information? And it means that other contacts can be identified and tested. Other countries have been far more pro-active in testing.

In the same way that I didn't give a damn what Corbyn wore, I couldn't care less what Johnson wears. Yet there was much ridicule relating to Corbyn's mode of dress from the very same people who are now saying what a PM wears doesn't matter.

growstuff Sat 21-Mar-20 01:40:38

It's a bad package for the self-employed, zero hours workers and renters. I have already lost a considerable percentage of my income, but I've been looking at the details and I'm not eligible for anything. The Chancellor was right to prioritise trying to keep businesses afloat and prevent redundancies. Nevertheless, at least one in six of the working population stand to be compensated very little or nothing, certainly in comparison with employees and mortgage holders.

growstuff Sat 21-Mar-20 01:48:54

Iam64 UC hasn't actually been increased by £20 a week for those who have lost £100s in income. The devil is in the detail.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:20:55

It's a good first step and I imagine there has been a lot of long hours going on to get to this stage. However, more is still to be done and there are groups who have yet to feel the pressure lift.

I think you are asking too much Eloethan if you expect a reversal of the "austerity" measures - always a political choice rather than a necessity - at this time. Hopefully, once we are through this we will realise the idea of "front-line workers" should not include the excessive protection of those who have risen to in some peoples eyes since the Thatcher era and have been protected within the tax system.

I agree that we need more testing. Germany's deaths are a far smaller proportion than most other countries. Their level of testing is much higher. Now, of course, correlation is not causation but if that is the only correlation it does beg the question about why we are not testing more. There is some thought that by keeping their testing high they are treating people earlier. We don't know if that's the reason for fewer deaths but personally, I would like to try it and see if it makes a difference.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:34:55

Be in no doubt that the package of measures does not mean that this government has suddenly developed a social conscience but it is entirely about saving the economy - as posters are beginning to understand Sunak’s plan, does nothing for a large majority who are self employed etc.

It would have made so much more sense for Sunak to have introduced a fully comprehensive national Income Guarantee Scheme, which would sit alongside the existing proposals by the government.

“Any Government loan would be tied into an agreement with individual businesses about job protection. This week’s package of loans and grants for businesses was an essential first step, but by choosing not to put any conditions on this support, ministers provided very little protection for workers during this crisis.
A Danish-style wage subsidy initiative would be introduced that provides businesses facing coronavirus-related job losses with direct Government subsidies to help them cover wages.
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) would be increased and made available to all. The SSP would be trebled from £94.25 a week to match the Real Living Wage. The lower earnings limit requirement would be scrapped and SSP would be extended to be available to everyone who needs it, including the self-employed.
Ministers should look to strengthen and expand the social security system at the earliest opportunity”

If this crises becomes long term -which I suspect t will be the case - rather than the short sharp shock our PM is suggesting, then I think those measures outlined above will be absolutely necessary to prevent social unrest from spreading throughout U.K. society.

Further, once the opposition parties have elected their leaders, it is time that a government of national unity was formed. The government is on a war footing and had taken in vast powers for at least two years. Democracy demands that the entire nation is represented in this undertaking.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:46:27

Interesting post, Whitewave. I will read and digest. No, the government has not developed a social conscience. Expediency has always and only been their watchword.

Labaik Sat 21-Mar-20 09:38:41

'Democracy demands that the entire nation is represented in this undertaking'
..especially as the government is going to have unbelieveable powers soon [akin to a dictatorship] which they intend to have for 2 years. And [sorry to bring up the 'b' word] they are still planning to Brexit and negotiate all those new trade deals. Labour must have a new leader asap. We need one party the has wise, experienced politicians in it. The Conservative Party has become, in general, one of wet behind the ears yes men and women.

Greymar Sat 21-Mar-20 09:39:58

My comments about BJ's appearance seem shallow and foolish this morning. I read your erudite ideas with interest fellow posters.

I am afraid, a lot of people are afraid. I would have liked a calm person who I feel is in control to give simple bullet points ( possibly with graphics) . I'm sorry if it seems petty but I would have liked said person to appear trustworthy and professional.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:58:11

Wouldn't we all greymar. Instead we are lumbered with Johnson who is neither trustworthy nor professional. Many Tories would acknowledge that fact.

Labaik Sat 21-Mar-20 10:05:11

I echo that. I find his bumbling way of speaking irritating at the best of times, but we need someone who speaks in a clear, concise way at the moment. Although he is currently doing one thing that he excels at and that is saying something one day with the full knowledge that we'll have to do the complete opposite the next.

trisher Sat 21-Mar-20 10:10:44

I've just re-read the OP to hear from the most reliable source.
and as it's BJ we are talking about I've realised the world has gone truly mad!

Iam64 Sun 22-Mar-20 08:35:48

grow stuff, I do realise the problems for self employed people, there are several petitions asking for the same package being given made available.
We have a number of self employed family members. My main point was the package already announced seems like a starting point. The complexity of including s.e. has to be addressed though, sooner rather than later

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:29:15

We have an audit trail and as suspected the quack scientist Cummings is behind the idiot idea of herd immunity without a vaccine.

“ herd immunity strategy will give the best protection to the economy” said the pompous twit “ if a few pensioners die, so be it”

Iam64 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:07:34

I read that on facebook today Whitewave, I wondered/hoped it was fake news. Haven't checked though and I'm afraid everything I've heard about Demonic Cummings says its entirely possible it is true.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:22:20

It was in The Times today quoting a Tory MP. It isn’t fake, it happened.

I suspect that he will be sacked, and when this is looked at he will be held culpable for 1000s of unnecessary deaths.

Iam64 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:12:02

Oh dear. It's not surprising,, he's a dangerous individual. Get rid of him please Mr J.

Greymar Sun 22-Mar-20 19:25:09

Is this real? I can't believe it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:37:08

Well we know about Cummings and his thoughts about eugenics, so I’m not remotely surprised.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:50:46

The Guardian said that Downing Street had denied it and that it was fake news.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:57:24

They would wouldnt they?

sue421 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:00:58

Yes I am. Back him all the way

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:03:55

I thought we all loved the Guardian as an unbiased Newspaper?

Could I possibly have been mistaken? [ shock]