Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you actually staying in?

(203 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:15:44

Or are you still finding excuses to go out? Are the instructions clear enough?

ninathenana Wed 18-Mar-20 12:00:26

I'm still in two minds about a UK break booked for beginning of April.
I've had e-mails assuring us that they are taking extra precautions in the restaurant etc. but it is unnecessary travel albeit just the two of us in the car. We don't really go out apart from shopping even in normal circumstances.

dahlia Wed 18-Mar-20 12:02:01

I, too, was sceptical when news about the virus began to come in, but as I have a heart condition and am over 71, I now believe it is up to me to take care of myself so that I don't add to the burden on the N.H.S. I think the information given by daily news bulletins is helpful. We are lucky enough to have a long garden, so I have worked out a route to give me a bit of exercise. DH went to the chemist yesterday, but said he felt surprisingly vulnerable among crowds. How difficult for those of you with elderly relatives to care for. I felt a bit low on the first two days of my enforced isolation, but I hope it will be worth it. Today I have taken exercise, done some gardening and put on my make-up - feel much better! Good luck to everyone out there, it's going to be a strange world for a while. flowers

Barrygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 12:03:57

Like others, I am staying in but sneaking out for a daily walk. Drive my car there, communicate two arms' lengths away if I meet anyone. As I work freelance in the theatre industry (no, I am not an actor), my work came to a sudden full stop on Tuesday evening anyway. My daughter and grandchildren are in lock down in Germany so it is important for me to make sure I get to see them when all of this is over!

Bbarb Wed 18-Mar-20 12:06:00

I'm trying to stay in BUT I cannot get groceries online because none of the local supermarkets have slots available.
I have plenty of food of one sort or another at home, but in a couple of weeks I'll be needing supplies and could be in quite a pickle.
Emails to supermarket helplines result in a blanket response of 'we are experiencing a higher number of inquires than usual ....'
My son is stuck in Dubai where he's working and cannot get home and my daughter lives 200 miles away. Any friends are of a similar age to me (mid 80s) so I can see my diet changing drastically soon if I have no milk, no bread, no fresh fruit .... back to my childhood during the war.
But I live in the country so will be able to go for walks if/when it stops raining smile

Marydoll Wed 18-Mar-20 12:07:12

Luckgirl, some people are either very naive or selfish. sad
Unfortunately, despite what's happening, the I'm alright, Jack attitude still prevails on this site.

lemongrove Wed 18-Mar-20 12:09:06

Am either staying inside, or doing gardening or going for local walks ( hardly even see anyone) and we all need fresh air and exercise.
Yes, it will be boring but is necessary.

Taichinan Wed 18-Mar-20 12:09:33

I don't think we are expected to stay totally indoors and we do really need to get out into sunshine if we can. I shall go to the beach in my car for a walk for instance or maybe inland to the glens, but I won't be going near anyone as instructed. It's easy for me though because I quite enjoy my own company - and blethering away on here!

25Avalon Wed 18-Mar-20 12:12:04

I'm fortunate in having a big house and garden. My husband is high risk so we have self isolated but with the garden have somewhere to be outside and get fresh air, sunshine and exercise without meeting anyone.
I was reading an article today saying how important exercise is even if you can't get out and recommending lots of things you can do indoors such as running on the spot or trying to push the wall down. Age UK have put out an exercise video for a home workout which can be downloaded from generationgames.org.uk

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 12:17:15

It seems walking to get fresh air and exercise is important to most of us. I think that will help us keep going and you can give a very British nod (and smile) as you pass someone on the other side of the road or path and get some small sense of contact.

I think the instructions are clear too but there are some who don't seem to have got it. Of course, not everyone listens to the news, etc.

tickingbird Wed 18-Mar-20 12:18:07

I have to go the dr's at 9am tomorrow for my pneumonia jab which was arranged before this really took off. I've had my flu jab. As for going out I am having to pop out but not everyday. I had to go and get some milk yesterday from a corner shop. I have Dettol wipes in the car. Took one in with me and immediately wiped the milk container and my hands and then washed my hands immediately upon my return. I made sure I didn't encounter anyone except the lady that served me. I don't have a choice.

merlotgran Wed 18-Mar-20 12:20:12

We're staying in but I did have to go to the village post office this morning. It's usually a hive of chat and gossip but although there was the usual queue, everyone was keeping their distance, not talking and staring at the floor. There was a kind of shell-shocked atmosphere.

When it was my turn I caught a glimpse of the stand of Mother's Day cards. I felt I needed to get out quickly before I burst into tears. sad

You take your community for granted until you suddenly realise things may never be the same again.

Oopsminty Wed 18-Mar-20 12:23:12

moggie57 - I hope very much that your molehill does not become a mountain.

I think it is a mountain, Luckygirl

You're being very polite!

Hearing people blithely saying they're going to do whatever they want is so annoying

Ignorance is not bliss

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 12:26:10

Bbarb If you have a local paper it's worth looking them up online. There was a notice on FB this morning (on our town "grapevine" page) which I would imagine is in our local paper too.

It said that our local baker is linking up with local greengrocers "during this time of uncertainty" to offer home delivery for all your fruit, veg, bread, savoury and confectionery needs. They can do eggs and milk too. It then gave telephone numbers.

It's worth seeing if small shops are doing the same near you.

Maybelater2020 Wed 18-Mar-20 12:33:37

Apart from walking the dog in isolated places yes.

BlueBelle Wed 18-Mar-20 12:33:48

I am not totally staying in the house but not going amongst people after yesterday, I went to the local shop yesterday for a couple of things but otherwise it’s just cycling to my allotment a couple of hours digging and then home I don’t see anyone
I ll go for a walk on the beach again staying away from being near anyone I ve cancelled my coffee mornings a lunch out next week and a cinema visit and stopped going to work ?
I m having my hair cut tomorrow but it’s just a small place and it’s 8.30 am and that will be my last human contact

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 12:52:34

Bbarb - you could book an online slot in advance so you will be able to get a delivery in the near future. I have booked one for April 7th.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 12:56:01

merlotgran - flowers

Luckylegs Wed 18-Mar-20 13:12:09

I’m equally as stunned by moggie57’s attitude. It is taking me time to get my brain around this. I’m in the high risk category but my husband is constantly having to stop me trying to do things. I need to go to the library - they’re still open and not taking any precautions! If my husband returns my books, I’ll have to make sure I wipe the covers first but he’s refusing to even try and get me any more - far too dangerous!

We went out for a ride and walk the dog yesterday but no cafe stop allowed. I have my long awaited hair appointment next week and he who must be obeyed is saying I can’t go! I can’t bear it! But I will do what I have to do, what a shame people like moggie are so ignorant and careless of others.

seacliff Wed 18-Mar-20 13:15:54

You can probably join the library online, it's great. I read books on laptop or my tablet.

Txquiltz Wed 18-Mar-20 13:16:27

We are staying in and missing the GC,but that is how it is. Groceries are being delivered. Friday's haircut is cancelled...a real sacrifice!

Curlywhirly Wed 18-Mar-20 13:18:48

There have only been 3 cases here in my (rather large) town and no deaths. Am only early 60s, fit and no health problems, so not in the self-isolating category. However, I have heeded the advice and changed my usual routine. Only going out if I need food. I have also this morning driven to my son's house, as I do his cleaning (I know, I'm soft for doing it, but I quite like housework and need to be busy). Usually I go somewhere every day, just to get out of the house, and we eat out once or twice a week - that has now stopped. Still seeing the DGC and whole family coming to me on Sunday for Mother's Day meal. We will then have a chat with everyone regarding what we will be doing in the coming weeks regarding contact. The whole thing is very surreal, it's like a bad dream.

BlueSky Wed 18-Mar-20 13:20:54

Oldwoman thank goodness that walking in quiet areas is actually encouraged or I would fear for my sanity! Still keeping in mind that if at some point we'll be required not to, it will have to be done.

seacliff Wed 18-Mar-20 13:24:40

I am 70 this autumn, am in OK health (high blood pressure/ dodgy hip), but I still work 2 days a week. They still have the office open, they are trying the working from home, but it isn't easy on laptops instead of bigger screens, and 2 screens, so they haven't okayed it long term so far.

Everyone else there is younger than me. People there have partners in London. I don't want to keep risking it by going in, but as I am not over 70, I may have to.

SalsaQueen Wed 18-Mar-20 14:30:55

I'm 60, so still working (until I'm 66) One of my jobs is Warden of a sheltered housing scheme. I haven't (yet) been told not to go. My other job is delivering (no cooking or handling food) meals to a school at the end of my road - it might close, but it's uncertain yet - but I don't get paid when I'm off, from either job. Sick pay is £90? a week, so until I am told not to work, or until there is a real risk of the virus, I'm carrying on.

genie10 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:40:15

I've done a big shop instead of my usual bits on most days and intend to stay at home as long as possible now but my husband still works and is in contact with many people in his day, so my efforts may not be enough.