Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Schools

(416 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 18-Mar-20 17:36:36

I have had an email from the school which seems to be paving the way to telling me that the school is likely to close, or perhaps partially close.

My grandson and his friends inform me that it will be happening on Friday.

Just thought I would let people know, and of course, that's my interpretation only.

eazybee Wed 18-Mar-20 20:50:47

Surely Growstuff, parents would want their children to spend more time in private study when they are off school. The exams will be postponed, not cancelled; they will have to be taken at some time. I hope so.
Personally I don't think it is a good idea closing schools, because a lot of children are going to be unleashed on the community, but I gather there has been much pressure from some parents.

Oopsminty Wed 18-Mar-20 20:52:36

lemongrove, you make an interesting point

There will be huge resentment amongst the pupils that some will spend their days on their computers whilst others have to go to school

Schools are going to have to choose which parents have the most vital jobs

Parents will be pointing out that their jobs are vital

I just don't think it will work

Grandad1943 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:02:49

HGV drivers are to be included in the essential worker's group as many of them are to be transferred into food distribution.

The problem with the above will be that workers such as pickers in supermarket disruption centres also become essential if there is going to be any loads to put on all those extra vehicles

Then you have all those that work in food production who also become essential if there is to be anything in those supermarket distribution centres

And so it goes on?

lemongrove Wed 18-Mar-20 21:03:22

Many jobs can be done at home, home working several days a week is the norm for many and could be extended to the whole week.DS has already been told to work from home.
Everyone likes to see their job as vital, but actually quite a lot aren’t ( as in, can be done from the home office.)
Also, it won’t all be computer play for months as many children hope ?the schools will be sending plenty of schoolwork for them to do.

Grandad1943 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:16:52

To add to my above post you also have manual workers in water treatment plants both sewerage and fresh, power generation and distribution along with fuel distribution.

All I would suggest are essential, therefore very many teachers will be required to look after the children of the above "essential workers" within our schools.

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 21:22:39

I am rather hoping the exams will be cancelled and not just postponed. Luckily nearly all the GCSE work has been completed by now and teachers will have a very good idea what grade pupils would achieve from their performance over the past two years. As far as A levels are concerned universities will also be able to go by teacher assessments and personal statements. It isn't worth getting pupils to take their exams at a later date, it would be too complicated to administer and too stressful for the kids.

trisher Wed 18-Mar-20 21:25:08

BJ said qualifications will be sorted but there will be no exams.

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 21:27:04

No, eazybee, the exams are cancelled. The results will be based on predicted grades. I've lost my income overnight.

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 21:29:42

Many teachers are, themselves, off sick at the moment. That's why schools couldn't continue as they are. Teachers aren't childminders and maybe people will begin to recognise the work they do.

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 21:29:55

Excellent trisher. And as a previous poster is explaining we shouldn't measure people and their jobs by academic achievement alone.

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 21:30:43

Ellianne The exams have been cancelled.

grannyactivist Wed 18-Mar-20 21:43:40

growstuff I'm sorry, it's a horrid predicament that you (and many like you) are in. flowers

I was wondering if maybe you're in a position to create lesson plans for parents who want their children to continue studying at home, but don't know how to go about it? That, or something like it, may just keep the wolf from the door while you find out what your options are.

Grandad1943 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:44:05

growstuff it is being reported that over one-third of school teachers are already off work self-isolating. That is far higher than in any other working sector of the economy at this stage of the pandemic.

The above I would suggest begs many questions.

Chardy Wed 18-Mar-20 21:48:51

Grandad1943 - what's meant by 'the above begs many questions'

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 21:50:21

So you're implying that they're skiving, are you? Not the ones I know. Other people have been working from home - teachers can't - or at least, they can provide work, but can't supervise the pupils to provide minimum staffing levels.

Some people beggar belief!

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 21:50:46

I'd like to know too Chardy.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 21:52:53

DGD's school is already partially shut and she hasn't been to school this week. It has now become academic (sorry) for them as the whole family have had to go into social seclusion today because the family of DGS's best friend have gone down with the virus.

Dottynan Wed 18-Mar-20 21:53:37

Sussexborn; Guess there is no chance of picking up covid in B and Q

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 21:53:44

No grannyactivist. The exams have been cancelled. As a private tutor, most of my pupils were preparing specifically for GCSE and A level exams, which they now don't need to do.

I've been working with some of them for nearly two years and was preparing to go online for their lessons. In fact, I'd already transferred some lessons from face-to-face to Skype/Microsoft Teams. We're all gutted.

Sarahmob Wed 18-Mar-20 21:54:49

I work on a zero hours contract as a supply teacher, I don’t work, I don’t get paid. Time to tighten the belt I think ?

Oopsminty Wed 18-Mar-20 21:55:15

Having two young teachers in the family, I can verify that they are constantly battling coughs and colds.

Primary School pupils especially, tend to get every bug going

They then pass it on to their teachers

The advice has been if you have a cough you self isolate

Could be why some teachers are off

Doing what they have been instructed to

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 22:04:13

At my grandson's London school nearly 30% of the pupils are already off which roughly equates to the reported number of teachers not at school. They're certainly not all sick.

Grandad1943 Wed 18-Mar-20 22:06:47

Chardy, in regard to your above post, the high level of absenteeism in the education category at this stage of the epidemic must raise questions in regard to the professional motivation in the sector.

Why when so many in other industrial sectors are achieving an all-out effort to maintain optimum production while also achieving far lower absenteeism at this stage of the pandemic, which is to the benefit of us all, is there such a lack of motivation in education it would seem which has brought about the closure of all schools in Britain?

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 22:08:42

flowers Sarahmob. Been there/done it as a supply teacher. I know how precarious and thankless it can be. It would be good if people could be kind and thoughtful.

You're right Oopsminty I was a full time teacher for nearly 30 years and I don't remember one year when I didn't have some kind of nasty cold or bug. Like many, I struggled in because I felt a duty to the pupils and to my colleagues, who would have had to take on extra burdens.

Teachers have been told to stay at home to protect their pupils.

On behalf of teachers, I resent the implication in the above post about teachers' absence.

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 22:09:24

I'm so angry, I'm speechless.