Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

husbands working from home

(154 Posts)
Hazel731 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:14:36

My husband is working from home. I was trying to make food last but he has other ideas, he eats breakfast, lunch and dinner all with a snack after and then every time inbetween meals I find him eating whatever he can find. When I complained he called me a control freak. He also sits with only a shirt on then complains its cold and turns the heating on or up, whats wrong with wearing a jumper and putting a blanket over his lap like he does when hes not working.
Driving me mad already! Anyone else got these problems?

NotSpaghetti Tue 24-Mar-20 11:02:51

I am truly blessed with a lovely, quite easy-going husband and both of us work (at least partly) from home as a matter of course. This means that we haven't had the "teething" troubles of some. Nevertheless we can irritate each other. Nothing much is meant by it, and in the grand scheme of things we do know how lucky we are.

I'm not sure the complaints (above) are really complaining and certainly don't think the other posters are belittling those who have lost dear ones. I'm sure some, like me, LOVE that we have that special person to have little niggles with, leave doors open, eat all the treats.

My heart goes out to those of you who had loving relationships and are now alone. It must be so so hard just to keep going. ?
I hope that time slowly makes life easier. I cannot think how difficult life must be. I have dear friend whose husband died last year and I can see how hard it is to just put one foot in front of another.... what she would give to have him back to "get in the way".

Jillybird Tue 24-Mar-20 11:03:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jaylucy Tue 24-Mar-20 11:04:24

I'd suggest that you pack him up several "lunches " including a few snacks then put them in whichever room he is working in, followed by putting a padlock on the fridge and hiding the rest of the food at the back of the cupboard, or even better, lock him in his "office" and let im out occasionally to go to the bathroom!
For the tea freak - kettle, teabags, sugar and milk in a flask in whatever room he is working in.
For the central heating hoggers, show them the last electric/gas bill then hand them a jumper/coat/icepack!
And for the gardeners- let them get on with it - at least they will be out of your hair for a few hours - as long as they don't start on the kitchen cupboards, you'll be fine!

Shalene777 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:05:05

My husband is exactly the same, snack after snack after snack. He is 6ft and can carry it I am 5ft4 and a big woman. When he snacks I then snack, my willpower is terrible. lol
Sent him to the supermarket last night to see if he could get any bread, butter or long life milk....he came home with 5 packets of biscuits!!!
Hopefully we will be back to normal at the end of the 3 weeks, he will be back at work and I will be front of the queue at Slimming World. lol

Theoddbird Tue 24-Mar-20 11:05:16

This made me laugh....tongue in cheek of course

Dillyduck Tue 24-Mar-20 11:05:46

I'm also widowed, give your husband a hug, tell him you love him.

It's not just your routine that's been upset, it's his too. If you are not used to working from home, it takes some getting used to. Does it really matter if he nibbles when he's stressed??

SueWll Tue 24-Mar-20 11:06:08

Evidently the fact that I'm doing what I want to (on the internet of course) while he is doing what he wants to do, is aggravating.
Evidently I "need to do something worthwhile".
Evidently I need to be working while he is, but he can harrumph this afternoon while I am making noise doing stuff while he has his nap.
Day 3 of staying at home....

He is usually the most laid back man. I hope that version gets back soon, this version is getting on my last nerve. ?.

Flakesdayout Tue 24-Mar-20 11:06:31

I have been at home since November and am slowing improving with my health. I got the text to say I must stay at home. Nothing new there. My partner went into work today and was told that everything is stopping. He works in the building industry and luckily he is a solo worker. So now he will be at home all day and everyday, I expect we will have moments when we get on each others nerves and I could pick fault with him quite easily, but I am glad he is here. He will be sensible and has plans for things to do at home. This virus is very scary and can be deadly and I do worry for my children and their families. But being positive I am trying to look forward whinges frustrations and all.

CaroleAnne Tue 24-Mar-20 11:08:47

Have any of you read Dr Mark Porters column in Times2 today? There is a very good explanation of how the corona virus works and how it can be there without symptoms. This of course is the most worrying. We should all be keeping ourselves as isolated as possible.
I do believe that some people are not aware of the dangers of this virus.
Hope that you are all OK and keeping active.
For those who are not well I send you my best wishes.flowers

Aepgirl Tue 24-Mar-20 11:08:52

Apart from the amount of food he is eating, I am also concerned that he only wearing a shirt. 'Wot, No Trousers!!!'

Rosina Tue 24-Mar-20 11:12:07

We have a room repainted so far, and the garden is completely weed free and sporting an immaculate lawn. That's one week of incarceration. I dread to think what is going to happen when 'all those little jobs' run out. Meanwhile, I am determined to make the most of this time of quiet reflection and count my blessings that I live in a part of the coutnry where there are very few cases, and lots of green fields and open space. Keep safe everyone. xx

Sussexborn Tue 24-Mar-20 11:13:55

Not difficult to guess what the topic was likely to be about so a bit harsh to criticize.

It’s frustrating to see strangers doing dumb things. Worse still if it’s your OH and is going to mean you may go short of food because of him.

anti Tue 24-Mar-20 11:15:37

We were only saying last night how distressing it would have been for our parents to live through this. Although we miss them dearly, they would have worried so much and would have been unable to cope with all this. My mum and dad lived through WW2 and Steve's were a little too young, but did not have an easy life. This would have been so hard for them. Thank goodness they are all 4 in a better place, hopefully! sunshine

Authoress Tue 24-Mar-20 11:17:21

It's a stress response, possibly. Send him out shopping next time it's needed, the empty shelves might shock him into thinking not reacting.

Sunlover Tue 24-Mar-20 11:17:32

My husband has worked from home the last 30 years so it no different for us other than I’m stuck indoors most of the day. He’s going to find not going off to golf at the weekends very difficult. I know if he’s at home he will probably work.

moorlikeit Tue 24-Mar-20 11:18:24

MawB

Re: Hazel1371 and others - there are recently/ bereaved (much more recently than I) members - this whingeing about husbands getting under your feet is thoughtless -better under your feet than six feet under in the churchyard.

You cannot dictate the conversations on Gransnet. Better that people let off steam here than row with spouses. If you don't like a thread please do not continue to read it . That way you will save yourself from upset

Tillybelle Tue 24-Mar-20 11:20:15

Being made to stay at home and not see anyone but your family who live with you is going to put immense pressure on family life. For couples it will almost certainly lead to moments of irritation with each other, even in the best of relationships. I can only suggest you accept the extra stress is inevitable and agree to have individual spaces in the home where you may keep apart to do your hobbies/rest/work so that the pressure is relieved a bit. Those like poor Hazel, who are battling with an obstinate and selfish person who seems bent on sabotaging their survival, will be living in an awful time. I really feel for all people who are in such a situation.

Poor MawB, and all of the many who have been widowed, this time will inevitably make us miss our loved one so much more. I am almost lucky really in that I have been living a rather isolated life for several years and was widowed very young from a marriage that was terribly unhappy for me.

Those, like me, who are alone may envy those like Hazel731 with company, but her letter does highlight the difficulty of having to be with a person who is not complying with very necessary measures to survive the situation. I do think in my case I am better off alone in that respect because I know that people have taken terrible advantage of me in the past and were I to have to share my home with the last one who abused me, during this crisis, it would make me clinically depressed. In fact he did not live with me but would appear every day and never leave me alone. He would have pushed his way into my home under these circumstances without a doubt.

It may sound very insensitive, but I realised last night that I was glad my dear Father has passed on and does not need to live through this. The main reason being that my mother would have given him such a cruelly horrible time. Being shut in with somebody who is unreasonable and selfish will be one of the hardest things to endure in this isolation period. I suggest that Hazel731P and others in her situation might set up regular Skype sessions with friends and get support from them.

Let us keep in touch here, sending messages and making sure everyone is getting through. Those who are alone and feeling so terribly sad, those who are being upset by living with a very dominant and difficult selfish person, and anybody else who is in a situation that makes this time particularly difficult, we shall all stick together and support one another.

Try and find something to enjoy, and please stay well everyone. God bless you all.

Coconut Tue 24-Mar-20 11:22:44

Let him do the food shopping and then pay the electricity bill ?

Purplepixie Tue 24-Mar-20 11:24:43

My DH retired last year and he drives me up the wall. He has an opinion about everything, whether right or wrong. Never backs me in an argument with others. Thinks that we are glued together no matter what I decide to do. Grabs the post the minute it drops through the door as well as getting to the phone first. Gives out lessons to me on how to fill the dishwasher right at bedtime. Thinks he can cook better than me and cannot. Sits with the remote until I take it off him. Has the fashion sense of a chimp. Is a rubbish dad. Has to be the main driver even when its my car. Snores. Takes most of the duvet. The list is endless but do you know what - I wouldn’t change the old sod for the world and hope he doesn’t die before me.

Classic Tue 24-Mar-20 11:28:03

I think that with couples now being couped up together for the foreseeable future there is a huge need for us to have the chance to let off steam, and a good moan, after all we cant even have the privacy to moan on the phone let alone meet up with a friend for coffee. This website could literaly save marriages, people need to vent. Those people that are missing their spouse, please dont criticise, as a whole we all support you through your issues, but some of us now have issues, that if we dont share might explode out of us and at our partners!

Chaitriona Tue 24-Mar-20 11:29:27

I have enjoyed reading these posts about annoying husbands. They are amusing and raise the spirits of many of us a bit at a difficult time. Also very true and recognisable. I am so sorry for those who have lost their husbands and wives. Being alone at home and without distractions must bring memories and grief back more strongly at this time. A good friend of mine died of leukaemia a few weeks ago. I said, “Angela will never know that this plague was coming or have to experience it.” But my daughter said, “If she had had the choice, don’t you think she would have wanted to live a little longer, even with this.?” And of course she would have done. My daughter’s partner is a care worker in a nursing home and she is chronically ill and vulnerable so they have had to separate. She waved to him from her window and then wept to me on the phone. It is harder for her to see him than just to skype, message etc. My blessings on us all.

25Avalon Tue 24-Mar-20 11:31:33

Yes husbands can be annoying. Often they feel cold when we don't and vice versa. How many times have I been in the study to find it boiling hot with a fan heater on full pelt and him in a T shirt! Also sometimes he likes to wear 2 T shirts at once instead of putting a jumper on which is all extra washing!
No doubt I have umpteen habits that annoy him as well but at least we are both still here and I am thinking how long will we be safe and together so hey ho let's enjoy life as much as we can whilst we can.

Suzey Tue 24-Mar-20 11:34:23

My husband has been depressed for five years won't go out not even in our lovely garden so I am used to him being around 24/7 he doesn't acknowledge me we lead separate lives it's so hard he constantly complains about everything no one wants to visit me I can see no end to this you only have this until the virus is over I have it indefinately

TrendyNannie6 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:34:30

I wouldn’t say you are a control freak at all not going by your post, I’m just glad mine is here, to be honest,

Laughterlines Tue 24-Mar-20 11:38:30

Most of the posts about husbands are funny and make us roll our eyes and say I know that feeling too. It’s a way of letting off steam and making others laugh at the same time. If you think it’s going to upset you don’t click on any posts with the word husband in the title. We all feel sorry you have lost your husbands or partners.