Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown

(160 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:59:01

Looks like we are in lockdown. Thoughts?

Hetty58 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:01:52

Very pleased. I've been waiting for this almost three weeks now. I see it as too little, too late - but very welcome. I still think that the NHS will be overwhelmed in a fortnight's time. So many folk must be infected with the virus now.

merlotgran Mon 23-Mar-20 21:02:17

I'm a bit concerned about people being allowed out for bike rides. Far too easy for gatherings to be arranged in houses if everyone arrives by bike.

MawB Mon 23-Mar-20 21:02:32

I wish I had seen your thread before I started mine on auto-immune diseases.
But if you can please read it.

anniezzz09 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:02:37

Good. It would be better if the police had enforcement powers and used them but probably there aren't enough police!

There was a news story today about three youths deliberately coughing in an elderly couple's face, a 30 year old man who intervened was attacked. That's what we're up against.

Gingster Mon 23-Mar-20 21:03:20

Yes about time. People couldn’t be trusted to do the recommended distancing so it has to be enforced.

anniezzz09 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:03:52

Re the rather odd post about secret bike rides, doesn't the same apply to walkers??

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 21:07:57

Someone told me that there were thousands of army personnel gathering in one Of the Northern service stations today .

I’m beginning to get very frightened sad

merlotgran Mon 23-Mar-20 21:08:25

I don't think my post is at all odd. Bikes are faster than walking. People can travel further and I didn't use the word 'secret'

merlotgran Mon 23-Mar-20 21:14:13

Don't worry, gilly. They will probably be involved in transporting goods.

Labaik Mon 23-Mar-20 21:14:25

I feel relieved that there is a lock down of sorts albeit imo too late. However it has also made it all now seem very real; up until now, even though I've already been doing the social isolating etc, it's just seemed to be like a bad dream and now I've woken up and it's still happening.

Greymar Mon 23-Mar-20 21:17:35

I can't understand the " one walk" request. Although, of course we will abide by the rules.

EllanVannin Mon 23-Mar-20 21:24:40

We have 6,650 cases so far---9th down from Italy, worldwide.

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 21:34:45

And I need to think about my dad, my daughter and her baby , my son and his family, my husband and on top of that “ my lads wages” . sad

Missfoodlove Mon 23-Mar-20 21:35:55

My son has been on lockdown for two weeks in the Czech Republic.
Citizens have abided by the rules but as a former communist regime they are more compliant.
The lockdown has slowed the spread and there are no shortages of food or medicines.
Sensible decision from Boris and the government.

kircubbin2000 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:37:08

The bike post was strange.

Curlywhirly Mon 23-Mar-20 21:37:34

Greymar me too - our dog gets 3 walks a day, she's certainly going to be confused if she only gets one! But seriously, just one walk a day seems rather punitive, some people can only manage short walks, and prefer to go out twice a day etc. Whenever we do go out, we never really pass many others out walking, even in normal times, and we live in the suburbs of a large, busy town. I wonder how they could police such a thing anyway?

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 21:38:05

It's the right thing to do.

I wish he'd done it sooner, rather than that social distancing codswallop.

I liked the comment about building up supplies. Hopefully he meant putting NHS staff into hazmat uniforms. Because if the NHS staff can't stay healthy the health service will be decimated.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:41:22

It’s the right thing to do, thanks to the Covidiots.

Let’s hope all of those who are parking their motor homes on the residential streets in Cornwall get told to go home.

Bathsheba Mon 23-Mar-20 21:42:28

Hopefully he meant putting NHS staff into hazmat uniforms. Because if the NHS staff can't stay healthy the health service will be decimated.

I was hoping the same GagaJo. We desperately need to keep our medical staff safe - without them we really are in the deep stinky stuff.

Greymar Mon 23-Mar-20 21:42:44

We have a park near us, it is quite possible to avoid people. I was hoping it might be my safe place and to be outdoors a bit.

EllanVannin Mon 23-Mar-20 21:51:26

A bit late in the day, Boris !! I'm disgusted.

Grannybags Mon 23-Mar-20 21:58:50

I feel a bit happier now. I hope people stick to it though.

Not sure how anyone will know if I am out for my first and only walk of the day or if I've been out several times already.

HurdyGurdy Mon 23-Mar-20 22:02:19

I imagine the ridiculous scenes from the weekend, with hoardes of people behaving like it was a bank holiday, have forced his hand. Because of the blatant disregard of the advice to socially distance, it can pretty well be guaranteed that in two weeks' time there will be a massive spike in Covid-19 cases.

He tried to treat the public like grown ups, and explained why they had to socially distance/isolate, and it has been proved that the public just didn't listen or didn't understand (I suspect it's just the former)

I thought he looked not only exhausted tonight, but thoroughly pi**ed off - having to do this, probably ahead of the time they had planned for it.

My prediction is the army to be brought in to support the police, who will be overwhelmed by still having to deal with those who of course think that these rules don't, somehow, apply to them.

p.s. - Regarding the awful situation in Hitchin earlier - did you see that it was Tommy Robinson who came to the couple's aid. I saw a video posted (by him) and somehow he managed to make it all about him!

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 22:02:40

They’ve put tents up merlot and I’m really scared . My DD is on the phone crying her eyes out . I’ll probs get my phone cut off as I won’t be able to pay the bills next month,