Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown

(161 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:59:01

Looks like we are in lockdown. Thoughts?

EllanVannin Tue 24-Mar-20 20:15:21

According to the Daily Mail, England is going to run out of ICU beds by the 6th of April except for--------North East, North West and Yorkshire.
The study had been done well before Boris gave his speech about isolation and lockdown.

GrannyLaine Tue 24-Mar-20 20:24:05

Would you say that the Daily Mail is the best, most accurate and scholarly source of information .....?

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 20:32:19

GrannyLaine No, I wouldn't, but in this case I don't think it's wrong. Health professionals and other media sources are claiming the same thing. I read somewhere that large empty office blocks are being converted for ICU units. There have been nine deaths, one an 18 year old, in my local hospital. It certainly brings it home. The UK's death rate is rising faster than any other country. We're two weeks behind Italy since identification of the first victim and, already, on target to have a higher number of deaths in two weeks than Italy currently has.

maddyone Tue 24-Mar-20 23:55:25

Well I believe it. I know as a fact that my area has no more ventilators available (unless someone unfortunately died and therefore vacated one today.) I know it’s a fact because my daughter told me today, she’s a doctor and gets all relevant information through.
If that’s the case here, it will quickly be the same in other areas.

Madgran77 Wed 25-Mar-20 15:50:20

I was of course thinking of cycling on roads being more dangerous than walking on pavements.

Well at the moment there are hardly any cars! But apart from that experienced cyclists are hardly likely to stop cycling as it is allowed ...and the whole idea of stopping because of some vague idea that they might be more likely to end up in A&E seems pretty spurious. However , if people who are not experienced/good cyclists suddenly start leaping on bikes that might be a different matter. [hmmm]

Labaik Wed 25-Mar-20 17:47:44

Walking down a quiet country lane on our once a day dog walk we are constantly having to look around for bikes coming up behind us at speed. We do keep the dog on a lead but worry that she'll hear a bike before we do and veer towards it. I just wish they would ring a bell or something.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:52:36

That has always been a real problem with us for years labaik

I can’t be too critical as DS is a keen cyclist but it is impossible to hear them coming up behind unless they ring their bell loudly. I am constantly jumping out of my skin.

Labaik Wed 25-Mar-20 17:58:28

Yes; my son and DIL are keen cyclists too. We also had three horrible teenage lads cycle past us today; I heard one of them say 'why have to stay in on a day like this'. I wish the local police had been around; people are contacting them to advise them where to go to disperse groups of youngsters. If only they could get the test up and running to find out who has had the virus. Now would be an ideal time to get every single pothole fixed!

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 18:22:42

TBH you can't really blame the young, they feel invincible. This is such a different world than it was a month ago. Takes time to adjust.

Labaik Wed 25-Mar-20 19:45:54

No; these were the sort of youths that looked in you in a way that made you worry that they might spit at you as they rode past. They were very unpleasant.