Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Daughter needs help with young children

(78 Posts)
Tedd1 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:19:22

My daughter has just messaged me to say she's ill with a cold, headache and exhaustion. Her husband ( works in the NHS ) due to go back to work tomorrow. She has two children age 3 and 2 months. Am I allowed to go and help her.
I am 66 with no underlying health conditions ( neither does my husband) ?
Would appreciate your views

Beanie654321 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:17:36

Her husband will not be returning to work for 14 days as he cannot return. Your daughter needs to go off sick too. You will be putting yourself at risk and would have to stay there for a minimum of 14 days, longer if any one else gets symptoms. If daughter well enough to return to work after 7 days and you become I'll who will care for you. A lot to think about, but the decision must be yours as long as you understand the implications.

Laurely Sat 28-Mar-20 09:20:08

@Txtquiltz: playdates are off. The message is simple - do not mingle with people from other households. Keep your germs to yourself, and let them keep theirs.

grannypiper Sat 28-Mar-20 09:28:16

Why on earth is her Husband going to work ? Doesnt he understand the rules ? I hope he doesnt infect anyone he comes into contact with ! He really is being irresponsible endangering peoples lives.

Hetty58 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:29:29

We are in a time of real crisis. I would not go for the many reasons mentioned above. You would put yourself, and others, at risk by doing so.

I know only too well how difficult it is to look after children when feeling unwell.

I'll never forget being in sole charge of four children when we all had gastric flu. It was hell - but I did manage. Basics (food, drink, medicines, personal care - and buckets lined with bin bags as we only had one loo) were possible and we just waited it out!

Tucked up in bed and dozing, my daughter suddenly turned her head and threw up all over her brother's hair!

Atqui Sat 28-Mar-20 09:38:57

A 3 yr old and a new baby? Her husband should stay and look after them even if he is an NHS worker- and BECAUSE he is an NHS worker

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 28-Mar-20 09:39:11

No no no no.
Do not go to them.
Husband should be at home.
Not you!!

Annecan Sat 28-Mar-20 10:15:34

No you cannot go.
It isn't just about you and your family , it's also about protecting the NHS
You are putting yourself at risk, and if you are hospitalised, it will place a greater strain on a creaking service.
Please don't go, your daughter and her husband must isolate as per the guidelines.

notanan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:18:35

Her husband can take carer days. All parents have carer leave allowances

GoldenAge Sat 28-Mar-20 10:25:49

It's up to your son-in-law to stay at home and take care of his wife and children, and it's up to you to stay at home and take care of yourself with your husband.
If you are fit and healthy you can do some shopping for her and take it and leave it on her doorstep but it's too risky to do anything more.
Regarding the NHS - I appreciate the need for all those who can work to do that BUT your son-in-law can't because if his wife is displaying symptoms which she may be then he too must remain in self-isolation but his duty anyway is to look after her and protect you from your wish to help. I know the NHS is under strain but there are 7,500 volunteers among us (including myself as a telephone supporter) who have just given some of our time and the idea behind this is to help the existing NHS workers get a better crack of the whip I think. Stay put.

Alexa Sat 28-Mar-20 10:31:42

Tedd1, your daughter is a vulnerable person who needs help from you . You would be justified in travelling to help her, as much so as a carer is justified in helping a client.

I hope you would protect yourself against infection by avoiding all possible contact with her or the children. It's a tall order. Clean masks will stop quite a lot of droplets, Handwashing will reduce the viral load. Keeping your distance while asleep e.g. sleeping in a separate room with an open window will protect you a little. Use your own crockery, cutlery, and towel. Wipe door handles and other much used surfaces with bleach based cleaner.

I think you would be with your daughter until her whole family has been symptom free for fourteen days, and the whole of your daughter's house hold would be isolated, ideally including the father.

Since this can't be done due to the man's work all members of the household including you will probably be advised by the NHS workplace as to his conduct at home with his family.

If the police stopped you en route I imagine they would agree your journey was a necessary one.

chattykathy Sat 28-Mar-20 10:33:56

Some of the comments on here have amazed me! What part of stay at home don't you understand? And suggesting playdates?? People in Italy and Spain are dropping and some are dying and being buried alone, it's that serious! Sorry to sound so short but I'm exasperated at the advice being given here. I know it's natural to want to run to them and help, I feel like that about my elderly mum and my DC and DGC but I'm not risking their or my health. I hope your DD and family get through this well.

Alexa Sat 28-Mar-20 10:48:33

Chattykathy, I don't of course know your elderly mother's circumstances but there are a few actions people can take on behalf of elderly or otherwise vulnerable persons.

Some elderly or otherwise vulnerable people can't self -report and need to be looked at in person, through the window for instance, if possible. If you were to visit some vulnerable relative or friend you can enter their house while you ventilate the place, ensure they are fed, watered, medicated, and toileted , and throw them kisses and smiles. You can carry with you a bleach based spray and cloth and apply it to whatever you touch in their house. Wash your hands a lot. Wear a clean simple mask : two layers of cotton over your nose and mouth is better for trapping droplets than no covering at all. An old fashioned clean cotton overall is better than cumbersome jackets etc.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:53:25

My understanding of the rules are that you can certainly go to help your daughter if you live at her place while helping.

No going back and forth between your and her place.

You may well be required to quarantine yourself for a fortnight when you get home.

Ring your local health dept. your GP or the police to check the rules though, so you don't do something illegal.

chattykathy Sat 28-Mar-20 10:55:53

@Alexa thank you for your advice. Luckily she is well looked after, has wonderful carers going in and siblings who live closer are delivering food to the door on a weekly basis. She is lonely of course but we've explained the situation and she understands. Daily chats on the phone are helping.

newnanny Sat 28-Mar-20 10:57:20

If everyone sticks to the rules we can all do our bit to protect the NHS, stay at home and save lives. Your SiL will have to stay at home and self isolate. He can look after his wife and children. Realy the rules apply to us all, including all of our children and grandchildren. In case someone has not seen news, no more pkaydates until further notice, no birthday parties either. Stay at home, stay safe.

Txquiltz Sat 28-Mar-20 11:00:48

Sorry about the play dates...you are absolutely right. I was not using good judgement and appreciate you calling me out.

Hetty58 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:01:59

Alexa, how is the daughter a 'vulnerable person' exactly?

I really dislike any bending of the rules. It potentially threatens the lives of my family.

I can't see a problem with having a cold and looking after two small children. Am I missing something?

4allweknow Sat 28-Mar-20 11:02:43

If it's a cold and the symptoms seem to indicate that is what it is at the moment then DD will get better. Does she work too that she is feeling exhausted? Who would usually look after the children when at work? If children are usually at nursery then perhaps DD is finding out what it is like looking after children full time. You need to avoid just in case the virus is lurking in the household.

Grammaretto Sat 28-Mar-20 11:13:04

I feel for your dilemma. I hope she is not too sick and that her DH is now helping.
It's hell for everyone. My DD needs me right now but I can't help. My job is to keep myself and her dad well and safe.
I am just coping. shock
Yesterday he cut his hand. Today he was up a ladder changing a light bulb. He's mid 70s and has serious health issues.
Sending hugs. Xx

Nannan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:15:04

Yes her husband DEFINITELY should not be returning to work if shes got these symptoms,especially if hes NHS! He could have unknowingly be the one whose given her this! Has he rung work to explain? Is there a way any of them can be tested? No dont go help her.you need to be careful.so does her hubby,as he not thought this through???

Hazel731 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:21:14

My grandchildren live within walking distance to me, am I allowed to walk round and leave toys that I have made for them on the doorstep or could they catch virus from the toys if I had it but didn't realise?

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:24:08

Yes.

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:24:35

And you could catch it on your walk round.

Hazel731 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:28:53

Thats true Eglantine21, but they could leave the toys in their garage for 72 hours then the virus if there would be dead. Is that right?

Alexa Sat 28-Mar-20 11:34:40

Hetty, no wonder you are complaining at me! I can only imagine I replied to the wrong OP or else I meant that there are circumstances where it's reasonable, with due care, to travel to visit a vulnerable person.
Sure, having a cold and looking after two children is compatible with normal ability.