Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Humidifier to ease Coronavirus cough?

(37 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 29-Mar-20 22:46:31

My work colleague has Covid-19 and has just posted a video of herself on Facebook, trying to deal with the cough, the shortness of breath and what she says is the difficulty in filling her lungs with oxygen. She looks and sounds so very ill sad. She is under 50 with no underlying health conditions.

She is a key worker (social worker). She has called 111 twice the last week, once for herself and once for her mother, who lives with her. She said they don't want to know because she can talk (only just)

My son is also a key worker (supermarket) and I'm even more worried about him, now I've seen how badly my work colleague is affected.

I've heard that a humidifier can ease a cough or congestion of the chest, so I am thinking about getting one, just in case my son catches it. Not that I'm likening Covid-19 to a cough or congested chest - just watching the video and it's clear it is something far more serious.

What do you think - would a humidifier do anything, or is it just a placebo?

Although we are following social distancing anyway, this has made me even more conscious of the need to follow the guidelines. I don't want to see anyone experiencing this.

EllanVannin Mon 30-Mar-20 14:34:52

I wonder if a Ventolin/ Salbutamol inhaler would help those who are housebound/ isolated with the virus but not dangerously ill ? They're cheap to buy and can't harm as they help to open up the airways and also relax the muscles that lead to the lungs making it easier to breathe.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 17:28:04

Thank you, Janea I will take a look

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 17:43:18

It depends on the type of cough, whether or not anti-histamines are beneficial or not, I think.

A dry cough may not benefit from them but a productive cough might.
They have been used to treat other Corona viruses but I'm not sure how effective they would be for COVID19

The hay fever season is upon us too, which could cause confusion.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 17:45:17

The trouble is that, if people who think they might get COVID19 and think that antihistamines, inhalers etc
start panic buying these items, those who do need them to manage their hayfever or asthma, may find they are unable to obtain them.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 17:45:56

'may help'
Was missing in my post above

Labaik Mon 30-Mar-20 18:38:49

An interesting blog from John Campbell; something that had crossed my mind. Taking paracetamol reduces fever and fever is the bodies way of fighting infection. In patients with flu the mortality rate greatly increased when patients took paracetamol. They felt better initially but were ill and infectious for longer. Will try to do a link. I find his advice very reassuring at the moment. I think it was Jane that first mentioned him. Also those CPAP machines could be life saving; not just for the patients but for the anaesthetists that are having to put people onto ventilators. Supposedly they've been around for years.

janeainsworth Mon 30-Mar-20 21:04:47

No it wasn’t me Labaik - I thought it was you grin
I heard a doctor on Radio 4 saying the exact same thing - only take paracetamol if you’re in pain, not to reduce fever, because fever is the body’s way of fighting the virus.

Callistemon I think the rationale for using antihistamines is that the inflammatory response to the virus, deep within the lungs, produces fluid which blocks the airways and that is why people feel they can’t breathe. Antihistamines help to stop that fluid being produced.

Labaik Mon 30-Mar-20 21:28:11

He's my lifeline at the moment*. Panicked a bit because he hadn't done a blog for a few days but today I found several. Phew. Although he doesn't hold back in how dangerous the situation we're in is he gives you the sort of knowledge/information that is empowering.
*that and watching University Challenge #comfortblanket

Labaik Mon 30-Mar-20 21:31:03

He said the only time a fever was dangerous was if a patient had a brain or spinal injury. And that, when a patient presented at A&E the first question would be had they taken pain relief because it was difficult to monitor how they were if the pain/temperature had been reduced by medication.

grannyactivist Mon 30-Mar-20 21:48:25

Researchers have found that the corona virus survives better on surfaces at 20 per cent humidity rather than at 50 per cent. Thus a humidifier may be helpful, but they do have to be kept scrupulously clean otherwise they may cause more problems than they relieve.

www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/03/13/2000488/0/en/Humidity-helps-in-the-fight-against-COVID-19-virologists-report.html

I have a humidifier in my bedroom and I am very careful to follow the instructions exactly.

Labaik Mon 30-Mar-20 22:57:10

Hang on [brain fog]. Does that mean that it's better to be in a damper environment but, if so hygiene standards must be higher because the virus can survive better on surfaces?